Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Science reacts to a real challenge

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:51 pm

We've all heard the whining of creationists about how science is "dogmatic" and doesn't react honestly to their objections to the theory of evolution. For those who are interested, there is currently a REAL scientific challenge going on right now in the realm of sub-atomic physics that might be worth following.

Some months back, a team of French and Italian physicists reported conducting an experiment that showed a particle beam traveling faster than the speed of light. Now, one would expect that if science was "dogmatic" about its laws, these people would have been drummed out of the scientific club ad labeled crackpots. Instead, they have been working diligently to find out whether the report was accurate.

And there's this quote that I liked:
Still, scientists stressed that only independent measurements by labs elsewhere would allow them to declare that the results of their experiment were a genuine finding.

"A measurement so delicate and carrying a profound implication on physics requires an extraordinary level of scrutiny," said Fernando Ferroni, president of Italian Institute for Nuclear Physics. "The positive outcome of the test makes us more confident in the result, although a final word can only be said by analogous measurements performed elsewhere in the world."

In other words, they are both working to falsify this finding AND willing to accept it as good, factual science IF it can be confirmed independently. Creationists should take note, and see if they can work within that framework. If not, don't whine about it... learn from your mistake.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:56 pm

I think I mentioned this on the Hadron Collider thread, but my creationist posse at school have use it as definitive proof that science is bunk.

BHL did the dance of joy I hear.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Just as with the rest of their world view, they choose explanations for things that appear to confirm their belief, thereby comforting themselves. Doesn't matter to them that they are obviously wrong. There is no other method for discovering facts than actual testing and refining of data.

Sure, these believers can claim gods "reveal" facts to chosen messengers. But none of the messengers in history has managed to be correct, except in cases rare enough to match pure dumb luck.

I'll rely on science for my facts, thanks.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to Geekery