Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

New year, new craziness on evolution

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I never thought New Hampshire was home to much stupidity. I mean other than "living in a freaking COLD place" type of insanity. But now I see that the government there has at least a few creationist crazies.

So these folks want to have the schools teach evolution in the "context" of the theorists' political and religious views? Facts behind the science itself be damned? Good one!

Or there's a second one that stresses that theories shouldn't be accepted as "fact" until all information is known.
Zen Faulkes, a biology professor at the University of Texas, Pan America wrote:Bill 1457 turns skepticism into bewilderment. It would ask teachers to say to students, 'Don't commit to the hypothesis that uranium has more protons than carbon,' or 'Remember, kids, tomorrow we might find out that DNA is not the main molecule that carries genetic information.' Evolution is as much a fact as either of those things, so it should be taught with the same confidence.

Then there's the bill being considered in Indiana (I thought they were a bit more sensible up there...) requiring flat-out that creationism be taught in schools.

Seriously, America... why try to politicize science? Shouldn't we be trying to make politics science-driven instead??
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I just don't understand why people who want to teach their children in alternate ways, don't go to alternate schools. It's worked for ages. I couldn't care if there's a group of people wanting to believe evolution is not true, but why do they have to push their ways off on everyone else?

Go open a Christian school. Teach creationism and bigotry, the rest of America is moving on.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery