Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Does correcting someone give you an ego boost?

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:45 am

So why adopt error-hunting mindset? Simply because "it feels more authentic when we condemn error and enforce a rule… what good is learning a rule if all we can do is obey it?" Anger delivers ego-enhancing pleasure; so does strengthening the boundaries of group membership – and carping about language is far more socially acceptable than explicit class snobbery or nationalism (not to mention less bother than confronting actual atrocities). Still, can we get, sorry, "may we have", a bit of perspective, please?
cite

I don't mind being corrected if it's done in a way in which the person making the corrections, doesn't appear to get an "ego boost" from it. Unfortunately most people do seem to get way too much enjoyment out of being correct.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I don't get an ego boost from it, but sometimes it's fun to shoot down someone who is being pompous and going on and on about something they clearly have no understanding of. Usually those kinds of people are the most entertaining to correct because they get into such a flap about it. LOL
Jamy

Return to Geekery