Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Do Doppelgangers exist?

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:32 pm

doppelganger-psa2.jpg

If you met yourself in another life?

So the other day I'm sitting in the lobby of the Science building at UNCG, when I see Shannon walk through the door. Though I have no idea what she's doing here, my brain instantly recognizes her in her very unique style coat and my brain wants to run over and kiss her. That's when I realize as she's walking towards me, it's not her, but someone who looks strikingly like her. I sort of laugh at myself realizing the consequences of what my actions could have been.

Of course then there's the possibility, with 7 billion people in the world, someone looks just like you. Considering genetically we all, for more or less, are the same; one wonders, if you met yourself one day, and found that they were doing what you always wanted to do, would you regret the life you're in. Of course, it could be the other way around. Would you pity yourself if you passed your doppelganger sitting on a street corner smoking crack?

Would it bother you to know that there could be someone with your exact or near exact genetic makeup out there in the world. What's she doing at this very moment?

Different cultures have different words for the look-alike phenomenon. The French use the word 'sosie,' or double. In German, the word is 'doppelganger,' a term also adopted into English. Supposedly, encountering your doppelganger can be a sign of bad luck, as it may be your evil twin, according to superstition.

Literary epics such as "The Prince and the Pauper" and "The Prisoner of Zenda" spin elaborate look-alike stories of royalty confused with commoners.

Cite & great video here.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby jth » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:38 pm

I don't know about exact same, but there do seem to be various clusters of appearance feature that appear in varied people. Occasionally enough might appear in the same person to look a lot like you.

Several times in my life I've seen guys that look very much like me. It was a bit spooky.
jth

Postby Liv » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 am

I've never met someone that looks like me.

Though that would be awesome cool if I found someone that did.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:24 am

Wait... aren't identical twins what you're describing? Do THEY get to follow your advice?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm

I never really thought about it, but I suspect twins, are much like sisters and brothers in the way of their competitiveness. Since they grow up together, I'm sure it's there, but it's less of a shock.

I mean, the whole idea of say, seeing yourself on vacation, and finding out you're married to a rich MAN, a size 6 and a conservative... would be a bit more shocking.

It would be scary if there was a Republican Liv. MY GOD!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 pm

That really would be the sum of your fears.
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Must involve some epic battle for good and evil.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery