Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

What Oil Filter Is The Best, of the best, of the best?

All things awesome.

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 pm

Well I just did both of mine, not a lot to add although I was glad I was wearing gloves :) I do it when the engine is hot so it drains quicker and flushes better.

One comment on filters.

8) Take the new oil filter and verify it's size and likeness to the old one.

Nope. You can't tell anything from either of those - unless it's the same brand and you can check for the part number. I don't know who made the factory oil filter on my car, but it was shorter and wider than the Bosch I replaced it with. I checked the specs to confirm. I don't buy filters from the dealer ever since my first new car when I dutifully went along to the Toyota dealer, paid 3x the price and when I got home noticed that it was a FRAM filter painted red.

So while we're at it - what filter to buy?

Anything but FRAM!

A few years back I cut open a used Fram (no photos sorry) and the cardboard end caps had come apart internally and I'm not sure it was doing anything.

There have been several people who have cut open filters to find out how they are constructed,
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/genera ... ected.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfil ... tml#w51515

Fram (Honeywell) are the worst constructed, followed by the new 'Encore' Champion ones. Champion make filters for several brands and it is very difficult to know who actually makes what.

I prefer buying Purolator - who are now owned by Bosch and manufacture for Bosch in the US - or NAPA/WIX. Those are the easiest to find. I bought a box of 24 Bosch filters online since the same part number (3300) fits all of my Subes and I get through about 10 a year. It worked out much cheaper than buying a crap filter retail

My new car has a small diameter filter tucked away and surrounded by hot exhaust. I bought a filter wrench specifically to fit the case of filters and I don't regret it for an instant. I had a generic wrench, like this

but the plastic one holds the filter for removal and intalling.

Before you buy look at the filter in the store. Some people will swap an expensive filter into a cheap box, so make sure it's what it's supposed to be. Do not buy a filter that had been dented in any way - the relief and back-flow valves use springs against the case and if the case is dented they may fail - effectively disabling the filter. And don't buy a dirty filter.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 pm

A Person wrote: Some people will swap an expensive filter into a cheap box, so make sure it's what it's supposed to be.

It's funny you say that, the first one I picked up at Wal-Mart, somebody had done that... I ended up going with the "normal" filter rather than the premium anyways... but thought that was hilarious, especially knowing how security enabled Wal-Mart is against theft.... major stupidity....

Back on the 5 liter Fords you could get "extra capacity" oil filters that were different sizes. I don't keep up automotively enough to know if the Taurus has a similar product available, but I'm sure there is some variance in capacity, but as long as the mounting flange and gasket are the right size and it threads appropriately is should be ok.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm

So based on your (and others) advice, and with the first oil change, I went out and hunted down a Wix for the Metro. The previous owner had a Purolator on it. I did inspect it, and due to the fact I was working in a Tornado, I did not have time for pictures, but it looks like it's solidly made. (Said it was manufactured in Gastonia NC) It looks like some higher end filters I've seen. I suppose for the price, $6.99 it is higher end.

After looking at the pictures of FRAM filters, I've decided it might be worth it... as you've pointed out.

Curious if there's a filtration difference between them?

For anyone who is interested, Quaker State is running a up-to $20 rebate right now, making the oil change cheap as can be.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:44 am

I've switched from Purolator/Bosch to Denso filters for the last year, they are very different from the others, and very well made.

The only problem was the unusual size (65mm 14Flat), I had to buy a new wrench and they didn't stock it locally, so I went to eBay.
A Person

Postby A Person » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:47 am

I've also switched to synthetic oil and it lasts a whole lot longer
A Person

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 am

Well, after watching a few youtube Fram fail videos... I'm a bit scared of the Fram, even if it's possible they're hoaxes...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery