Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Morality without religion

All things awesome.

Postby A Person » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:13 am

Like most TED talks, this is fascinating. The sense of empathy and fairness that even monkeys have is sorely lacking in the GOP of today. You can almost hear the Limbaugh monkey saying "You have to work harder to get a grape, stop whining"
A Person

Postby Liv » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 pm

So do you think there's a band of evil GOP monkey's running around in nature?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:53 pm

There are selfish moneys with no empathy, sense of fairness or concern for others (rouges). They are usually driven out of the troop to fend for themselves.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Seems to me that a lack of empathy is a sign of emotional dysfunction that borders on mental illness. I've mentioned this before... Reminds me of low-order autism.

But the reason the GOP isn't tossed aside like rogue monkeys is that they aren't completely incapable of empathy. They show great emotional connection within THEIR social enclave. But put them in contact with any human being that is "out group," and the fangs are bared, and no communication is possible, let alone reasoned discussions or compromises.

What is truly sad is that even within the Republican Party, there's a caste system that allows for benefits only in one direction: from the poor redneck "values voter" to the wealthy, patrician owners. No Washington Republican will ever spend time willingly between elections by giving social interaction to the "base."
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:35 pm

I've never been able to understand those who knowingly harm others, or in the power to change things and don't.

I guess that's even the thing that bothers me about Obama. If anyone has the power to change things he does, but I just don't think enough has been done.

I realize it's more complicated than that... but with Republicans, whom knowingly take money from companies, and lie in the face of obviousness, when they could not only be the accelerant to change, but also have a true legacy for themselves.... I just can't comprehend.

Just like HHO boy... and these preachers... if you really had something technologically-wise that could improve the world, why would you not immediate share it? I'm not past making a profit, but something that profound should be important in a way beside monetary advantage.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery