Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

IRS auditing warning

All things awesome.

Postby Jamy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:02 pm

We've finally finished our taxes and when it was all over, our account warned us that he'd read a recent study that showed 1 in 80 tax payers in the $50,000 and under income bracket got audited last year. 1 in 80.

WTF?

So like, it isn't enough that we're living frugal and close to the bone, now we have to worry that IRS is going to accuse us of cheating on our damned taxes?

I repeat, WTF?
Jamy

Postby Liv » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:43 pm

It's because of all the credits I imagine.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much... I'm sure there's an algorithm to it, and as long as your not too far out of the threshold -like last year you claimed 1 child, this year you claimed 4. Then you should be okay.

Then again, this is America... so likely you're effed.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Our federal return was pretty bloody simple this year. No itemized deductions, cause we're almost done paying off the house. Can't imagine what they'd find questionable this year...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Jamy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Ours was fairly simple too, but our accountant kept asking "You SURE you don't have any more deductions than this?" because his tax software kept sending up alerts. I told him that Kevin bought his work pants from Goodwill (I mean really...he's just going to destroy them anyway....why pay full price for new pants?) and his boss supplied a company truck, shirts, hats, coats etc. and the business was only four miles from our house. It's pretty sad that tax software is set up to view frugality with suspicion.
Jamy

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 pm

After all the expenses that we had with my bouts of pneumonia and the cancer surgery, we STILL didn't have enough deductions to itemize. We needed $9,000 in medical costs to get itemized deductions higher than the standard, but we fell $3k short of that. I guess this year, I'll need to buy a new house, get a 20-year mortgage and have a fricking heart transplant...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Get a steam powered heart, that would be cool!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Liv wrote:Get a steam powered heart, that would be cool!

Jamy

Return to Geekery