Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Programmer willing to work for cash?

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:18 am

I was talking with a couple of friends yesterday about my quandary of trying to get a job in the business with new skills but no experience. One friend told me about this site for programming freelancing. Myself, I can't take advantage of this yet. But I expect there ARE some who read here who can.

Enjoy...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:04 pm

You might want to shoot Sue Polinsky (of Tech Triad) an email. They do mostly web-based work, but she's highly connected, and has offered me opportunities in the past (which I didn't have the skills for).

Also if you're willing to go the cyber-begging route and want to post your credentials, I'd be glad to let you post on Greensboring too.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 pm

I'll tell you, if I was in the programming-tech-sector still, I bet you could make a ton of money making smart-phone apps.

Don't know where you would learn those skills... but they're ones I often wish I had.

I know at least two people connected with that business right now, and it appears to be a thriving sector.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm

What irks me about modern programming languages is how many there are. There's really no call for it, that I can see. Object Oriented programming was supposed to end the need to create new languages for new needs, but it doesn't seem to stop the people who keep coming up with them.

I'm currently taking courses in .NET (a "framework" for web applications that can use (at least) Visual Basic or C#) and in C#. When it comes to defining the program's LOGIC, the syntax between these OO languages and the first one I ever learned (Java) are minimal. So what's the differences?

Available methods. So why are these different languages in existence? Why do we not have one language (just PICK one, fer cryin' out loud!) that gets new standard classes and methods added as needed? Why, because then no one would be able to make millions on classes like the ones I'm taking and others, to teach these new languages that are created for NO GOOD reason.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:04 pm

It is quite silly.

I remember writing my first program in DOS Batch language.

You wouldn't think you could create an entire program in DOS, but you could.

It was a massive dictionary with a search function, that I converted to an EXE file, and turned in for 8th grade projects.

I wish I still had a copy of DOLT. (Dictionary of Literary Terms)

Then I moved on to Qbasic, and eventually HTML and then PHP and a bit of Javascript.

I've done some XML work, but I wish I understood later technologies more.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery