Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Home-made HEPA air filter system $30

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Thu May 17, 2012 7:24 pm

So I'm sick of the cats. The allergens are horrible, and lately I thought I was going to die from sneezing, watery eyes, and runny nose. I had enough. Interestingly, I came up with a plan. A single HEPA air-filter, duct-taped to a cheap $17 fan from Wal-Mart. The results are better than I could have ever imagined. Almost instantly I stopped having problems. I took it in our room last night and slept solid for 9.5 hours straight. I was a bit worried it was placebo, so I shut it off, and within a few hours, my symptoms came back. With the two cats and a dog, I just think our HVAC system is incapable of filtering out the fine particulates, even with a HEPA filter installed in it. This is home-made HEPA filtration system will filter out 95% of the bad stuff from the air. (According to a youtube video with some academic who did the test.) It does a similar job to these $800 dollar air filter systems, except it costs only $30, and you can buy it all at Wal-Mart. Even if you don't have allergies, but want awesome air... this seems like a no-brainer.

It's real simple:

GET:
    1 $17 20" box fan
    1 HEPA filter (note there are different grades, get the one that filters SMOG) $10
    1 roll of colored duct-tape. (Teal goes well with anything) $3

DO:
    1) Tape filter in the proper direction (arrows on filter show direction) to the back (intake) side of fan. Seal all the edges.
    2) Turn on low, and enjoy the fresh clean air.
    3) Wonder how the heck it filters smog.
    4) Wonder if it really does filter smog, why don't they have a million of these in L.A.

Seriously this is like the best freaking thing ever if you have allergies. Almost instantaneous results, and now I can scrap my plans to "accidentally" leave the cats at some random off-ramp when Shan isn't home.

Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery