Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Microsoft Surface.

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 pm

I've been looking for a laptop all summer. I need something smaller than my 15" laptop for traveling. I've been really hooked on the Dell Duo, but to be honest nothing has met my needs till now. Microsoft is launching the Surface. I have no idea what this thing costs, but I'm hooked.

...and thank god it will shut the Apple whiners up for a while. I'm saving my money as we speak. Though I'd love for them to do a release like they did the CR-48 for Google, and donate one to our good blog cause here. Would make my student exchange in Brussels awesome.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will be out in time- but, I bet it will be out by Christmas.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 pm

My immediate reaction was "Wasn't MS Surface announced in 2007?"

But then I googled it and realize Microsoft stole the name from their interactive surface initiative (which never really took off), renamed it PixelSense, and applied the Surface name to an iPad like tablet.

There are some thing I just don't get about Microsoft.

There is almost nothing in the iPad that wasn't in my 2004 era iPaq running Windows CE - or as it was renamed: Windows Mobile. I used that extensively until the power socket broke and I got fed up with waiting for Microsoft to get into the phone market and so bought a Blackberry.

The iPaq had decent handwriting input, versions of Excel & Word, remote desktop etc. etc.

What it didn't have was Jobs marketing it.

Since then Microsoft have let Apple dictate the market and are playing catchup to technology they already had.
A Person

Postby Liv » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Windows just got out of touch with its users though.

It's like with IE, we all jumped to FireFox because MS got stupid with it, and it never worked.

People want simple products that just work.

Now Google is doing the same thing. I've seen more blunders from that company in the last year then I'd care to see. This Surface thing could have been the CR-48, but it looks like Microsoft is going to be a clear winner.

The CR-48 barely connects to wifi, and won't run Java programs. It's just a mess. Worse yet, the font in Google Docs is different enough, Shan's university professors demanded the papers in Word.

If this thing does what I expect it will, WIN, WIN, WIN.

I just want to buy one now!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Just got an iPad earlier this year, back when I had a job... my wife and I are both VERY happy with it. No idea why something "better" would have any attraction for us now. It's got all the functionality I could possibly use, and more. And the app universe that's attached to it is certainly full enough to handle all our needs for many years to come.

I'm sure MS's version will be the same for all its customers. Only it'll be not Apple, and cost a bit less.

But the big difference here is that I'll be using the tech for as many years as I can, and I'll not be getting in line to slavishly buy each new version that is released. So for me, the extra cost of the Apple tech is spread over more years than "usual," and it won't end up costing me much at all.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:20 am

Yeah, but the question is what would you do if you had to write a paper, or do something text intensive?

We've got one tablet, and it's nice... but the reason I haven't went that route is I still need a keyboard, and I need windows for school.

This combines everything, should fit in a purse, plus completely replace my other laptop.

That's a plus.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 am

Sure, the iPad has a decent enough screen-based keyboard, and it has apps that will create files that are Word-compatible. Heck, I did some fairly serious revisions to my religious memoir book on my iPhone last year. But I'm not trying to sell you on an iPhone... just pointing out that a higher price tag doesn't necessarily indicate a poor purchasing decision.

:mrgreen:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Oh I think the Iphone and the Ipad were quality products in their time, and for a lot of people, who have the income for these products- I think they worked well.

But for instance, I paid $150 instead of $500 for my phone, and it does everything an Iphone does. Sure I had to wait a year or so more than my Iphone friends, but that's the trade off.

Now the IPad? Never understood it. I mean, I understand the features.... but for the price they were asking originally? I just can't grasp it. It was like a laptop with less features, and no PC products ran on it???

...and that's the thing with apple, almost any app or program you need costs money. You can't just go downloading an open-source version from the internet.

I'm also a bit old-school. I grew up building 8088s, writing batch commands in DOS, and my first programming language was BASIC... I walked 5 miles (up hill) with my lunch money to buy my first PC from radioshack. When I see people drop $1600 on a Mac Air that they think is a fashion statement, and look down upon my ghetto PC I'm lugging around, I can't but wonder about the whole darn brand.

I remember the days of old evil Microsoft as much as anyone, but I think Microsoft with this- has a win if they don't mess it up.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I gotta agree on the Mac Air. From the get-go, that has been a spectacular waste, and no real benefit to having it, that I can see.

As for the early adopters of iPhones... I only did that once, and that was thrill enough for me. Now, I always buy one model back, and that appears to be a good strategy. My son bought a 3GS a couple if months ago... Paid $1.

:mrgreen:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 am

I like the thin-ness of the Mac Air. Subsequently, I purchased a Casper latop which is designed similarly, but runs Windows 7 for Chance, for his birthday. Price $179, brand spanking new.

Just wish I would have bought two.

But I know what I want now. I want this. I'm willing to pay a premium ($500). Just tell me when, why, and how.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Well I purchased a laptop last night, and decided not to wait for the Surface.

I've been told, for a true, fully functional Windows tablet, the cost will be $800, and the expected release date will not be till October. Supposedly a lesser ARM processor version will run apps, for around $500.

I considered the two big options out now, both which are $500-$1000, but considering I didn't get any grant money and I found a deal yesterday for $260 for a Dell 101Z, I jumped at it.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/P ... 6834200483

I used promo code MEMKENTRY2 for 10% off. Ordered 8gb of memory for an addition $21 on ebay. Should be a very good travel laptop, that I can also use for school abroad (which was my goal).
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Got my new laptop, and love it! No more working on just half a screen because of a dead pixel!

It's the perfect size for traveling too. Awesome!

Highly recommend this model if you need a good travel laptop.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery