Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Facebook makes some interesting stumbles

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Saw some stories about Facebook over the past couple of days that made me think. Seems that a lot of people are rather angry at them at the moment, and these two items may be what makes me try to avoid the thing as much as possible.

First, the rolled out a new app that allows users to find the physical location of other users near them. People see this as a perfect tool for stalkers, and frankly, considering my experiences with certain parties via the web, I would NOT want Facebook tracking my every move, regardless of how they'd think to accomplish it. I actually spent a couple of vacations back in 2006, worrying that I might have a certain someone pop up to try and discuss religion with me... I'd hate to think Facebook might help someone do that.

Second, they switched all users' primary contact addresses to internal "@Facebook.com" mailboxes.

This seems to fit a pattern that has bothered me about them from the get-go: they decide what features to add to their site seemingly via an internal bull session process, and they roll them out without bothering to check to see how the users might like it or not. And really, any company that doesn't care what their customers want should not get support... but you have to recall WHO Facebook's "customers" are: it's the companies that use Facebook data for marketing processes. NOT the users. I have very little interest in "being social" on-line if it means that someone is going to parse through my social interactions in order to glean information that I would prefer to keep private.

Why so many people want to keep details of their lives stored on some company's computers for just anyone to hack into and rummage through, I can't begin to fathom... but apparently, there's millions to be made in that "industry."

Not only do I not get it... I don't WANT to get it.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 pm

It's interconnectedness. It's building a strong community. Not just in the world wide-web, but in the real world- many movers and shakers believe if we can connect people we can make peace.

I however don't like my ability to decide to participate in such actions being taken away.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Etsy is infamous for rolling out changes like that, regardless of what the sellers and buyers want. Some of their changes were completely non-intuitive and assbackwards. Seems like that's just how it goes with this current generation of web innovators.
Jamy

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 am

Liv wrote:It's interconnectedness.

Facebook is about being a lab rat. You enjoy it if you like... I'm staying clear.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:23 am

I'm not saying I enjoy it, I just know I have to adapt to a world that does.

Here's the thing, it should be on a volunteer basis.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery