Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Boy Scouts pressured on Gays -- by Eagle Scouts

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Seems there is a movement afoot that might have some effect on the recently-renewed policy of excluding gays: Eagle Scouts are turning in their Eagle medals.

Several of the quotes from the letters that accompanied these return are pretty interesting:
I want you to think about the boys you are casting out of your organization, and I want you to wonder how many of them need support while their families, their schools, and their churches turn their backs on them. I want you to think about the pain you are causing, the depression you are enabling, and the suicides that you are contributing to.

While others spent their summers indoors playing video games and hardly leaving their neighborhoods, I was white water rafting, spelunking, hiking, laughing, and, most importantly, learning the values of friendship, dependability, and a respect for the diversity of people on whom I needed to rely to accomplish all of these activities.

How could this organization from which I have profited so much turn out to be the shining, happy face of bigotry?

Very well said, in all cases. I hope that THIS expression of opposition from those with the highest award given to youth will finally start to change the ossified minds that "lead" the BSA these days.
:think:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:30 pm

I still think Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts need to merge and lose the genderized format.

It's THAT dichotomy which is fueling the homophobia.

Why do boys have to tie knots and build fires, and girl scouts sell cookies, and learn to bake?

It's just silly.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Girl Scouts do outdoors stuff too, you know. Check out their web site... they're WAY cooler than the boys, and they've had gays and atheists in their group for over a decade.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:56 pm

There's the answer. 4-H doesn't seem to have an issue either.

Just the Boy Scouts.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery