Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Smart phone ads: the latest American Dream?

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Just saw an ad for a Nokia smart phone that makes me wonder. It's about Rich Bastard Will, who loves his Nokia and its real-time tiles that keep track of how important Will is, almost like his own personal assistant. Only Will is too important to operate his tiles himself, so he hires a phone butler to do it for him. Thing is, his phone butler quits, so now the viewer is urged to hope to be Will's next phone butler... By going to check out

"Work for Will"

This ad oddly enough reminds me of the truly awful ads Apple ran for its iPhones earlier this year, in which bored rich guys in luxurious surroundings held pointless conversations with their Siri app.

Are these ads really supposed to appeal to average Americans? How? The average Americans I know are a ragged bunch, having lived for at least two decades on almost exactly the same pay rates, if they're lucky... While being forced to work longer, harder hours, often with less support from co-workers (who were down-sized, out-sourced, "right-sized" or whatever euphemism their HR goons dreamed up at the time they were kicked to the curb) and with less time off than ever. They live lives of stress and fear, and are told every day of their lives that working is a loser's life, that you can only matter if you have people working for you, or if you're getting wealthy by playing the investment game.

So far as I could tell no one I know would be ABLE to see these ads as being meant for them. Maybe Nokia and Apple WANT just to sell their bloody phones to people who have no need to work for their living. If so, why run their ads on national TV broadcasts? Makes me wonder...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:26 pm

You should see the group of students I go to school with. They're all (minus a few special friends [wink]) I-pad, I-phone, brand name clothing, Americans with a sense of entitlement and all who think they'll never toil a hard day in their life.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Liv wrote:You should see the group of students I go to school with. They're all (minus a few special friends [wink]) I-pad, I-phone, brand name clothing, Americans with a sense of entitlement and all who think they'll never toil a hard day in their life.

I think it's quite a tragedy that in many cases, they will probably be correct. Kids that grow up in "connected" families learn to play the game of "it's not what you know, but WHO you know." Being adept at that game is a better hedge against recession than all the training in the world, sadly.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:41 pm

I'd like to think knowledge and effort does have its rewards, but I've yet to find that true.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Liv wrote:I'd like to think knowledge and effort does have its rewards, but I've yet to find that true.

If you ever find a place where that is true... let me know. I'll do most anything short of killing to get there as well.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 pm

I think killing might be the only way.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery