Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Fixing the flat-screen tv that turns on and off.

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:24 am

IMAG0097.jpg
So I thought I'd share this because I've been working on this for a month, and never succeeded at getting an answer. Back when I was working we bought a 32" AOC flat-screen TV from Radio Shack on Black Friday. It worked great until I left for Belgium and left it in the hands of two sticky fingered children. Fast-forward half a year and I come home to a tv that turns its self on and off randomly, unpredictably. There's a ghost in the machine, and what am I to do?

Well I started problem-solving, started unplugging cables, vacuuming the dust out of the heat vents, even gently beating on it with absolutely no luck. I then started unplugging other appliances in some weird hope to find an electro-magnetic interference that might be causing a short. Nothing made sense!

IMAG0095.jpg
I became so irritated with the flat screen one night I nearly threw the remote at it after spending a 2-hour period of time constantly pressing the power button to watch flashes of a movie.

I pretty much assumed it was dead, and broken. I was technically okay with that since we're disconnecting the cable at my house. American TV has become absurdly obnoxious enough for me that I'm certain I become dumber the more I watch it. Truth is, I have not the money nor the care to buy another flat-screen or get this one fixed, so it was time to rip it apart.

Luckily the screws were phillips and once off the wall I quickly gained access to a very simply circuit board that I looked over carefully for any signs of weakness. I wiggled the capacitors and other widgets in hope of a loose solder joint, but I found nothing. I cleaned everything up and tried one last attempt. I unplugged the wire going to the physical power switch on the tv. Guess what? It worked! It's fixed!

IMAG0096.jpg
Sure I now can only turn it on with the remote, but I don't have a possessed tv in need of an exorcism anymore! So if you own a computer monitor, or flat-screen (plasma), (especially an AOC model [though they do re-brand under major names too]) and it turns itself both on and off, try disconnecting the physical power switch from the circuit board before you toss it on the street. If you still want to justify replacing the tv with a bigger model, at least move this one to the bathroom. Reuse recycle, and flush.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:10 am

Interesting indeed. Until very recently, we had a similarly haunted 32" TV on our hands. We could turn it on, but KEEPING on was sometimes a challenge. Bloody "made in China" POS.

I may have a go at trying this fix, just for sh1ts and giggles.

Regarding the TV wasteland... Have you taken a gander at "Once Upon a Time"? It's a pretty neat show, thanks to the writers from "Lost."
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

I watched it part of the first season, and no that they've changed the story arc I've caught a few episodes, but I'm really waiting for them to make a LOST movie, or bring back the series.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery