Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Free Internet

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 pm

IMAG0217.jpg
So for about the last eight years I've been a customer of Time Warner and Earthlink. A combined cost of about $65 a month for internet, television, and phone. Now I know that isn't much, I know there's some of you that spend $150+ a month on services, so I was already living fairly smart. Of course since we're both in college, we rarely watch TV. In addition, I was ready for a change. I'm thinking about moving every day, and cutting an entire company (luggage) out of my life is an exciting temptation. I'll admit I was a bit scared, but the moment I walked out of Time Warner void of equipment, or commitment, I felt amazing and free!!! Then there's the satisfaction that since then they've been calling me, begging me to come back. But why would I?

IMAG0218.jpg
The main concern was the internet. I needed internet to do my homework. Luckily I had a free access point within a fairly close distance. The problem was being able to connect to it. All I really needed was a bigger antenna.

First I picked up the Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna. Mounted that puppy to the apex of my roof.

Next, 8 meters of TRENDnet Low Loss Reverse SMA Female to N-Type Male Weatherproof Connector Cable

Finally a simple adapter (REVERSE TNC MALE to RP SMA FEMALE CONNECTOR) to connect it my router. Total cost, about one month of high-speed internet: $50-$60.

The most important part was having a router, my old Linksys WRT54-G, and re-programming the firmware with DD-WRT (an aftermarket software) to turn it into a repeater bridge. I should point out that there's a guy on Ebay who sells these reprogrammed with bigger antenna for $99.

A short trip to the roof and attic, and I'm in business. I test the new antenna on my USB wifi adapter and realize the usual 5 hot-spots I can see have turned into about 30. I'm literally pulling in every wifi hotspot in the neighborhood. It boggles my mind. I tried a Chinese Yagi antenna prior to this antenna and got worse reception, but this Engenius antenna is amazing. It works flawlessly and is built like a tank.

Bottom line? I plug my Ooma broadband phone into the router, and now have internet and phone for free. I really couldn't care about the tv, but I can always view shows online, or buy a digital antenna. Either way, I'm $700 richer a year for letting go of crap I never needed in the first place. I highly recommend this set-up.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 am

FYI, found a great app to improve my transmission rates, etc, by finding out the channel that all my neighbor's are on and moving my set-up to the most open channel. It's called inssider, and it's available for Android and Windows. Great little tool. 8-)
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery