Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Sitemap for Google - PHPBB 3 Mod

All things awesome.

Postby htmanning » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:51 am

I checked the max_execution_time on my server and it's currently 30 seconds. The sitemap.php can't be taking more than 3 or 4 seconds so I don't think that's the issue. I can only set it at 7000 urls or below or the script will choke. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks.

Tom
htmanning

Postby Liv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:05 am

Could be a sql timeout of some sort, that limits the number of records that can be pulled at a single time from a Select statement (how it pulls the data)

I'll keep this in mind if I make a future version and have some free time. Might be possible to pause the calls to the server, but I'm unfortunately swamped with mid-terms at the University right now to really get into it.

I'd keep the 7,000 URL setting, and I'll keep you posted in the future if I get a chance to update it.

It could be a memory issue too. I believe SQL will put the data called into memory, before it dumps it into the script, and once that's full then there's not much it can do.

In either case, I think the work around would be to have multiple sitemaps, it's just I've never had to deal with it personally, so I've never coded it (I think my largest database was 7-9000 topics).

Then again if you do have these rogue topics (that don't really exist in the database), a repair of that issue might solve both issues.

Best thing might be to do is find one of these topic numbers, and check in your SQL dashboard if the topics do actually exist with posts too. If not, I'm certain someone on PHPBB would be glad to write you a $15 code to clean that up.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby htmanning » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 am

Yeah, I'm keeping the 7000 setting. I never thought of having more than one sitemap. How would I write the sql line to query everything after the first 7000?

I've installed this on 4 forums, and 3 worked well. On the fourth I kept getting the copyright credit error. I checked the installation and it was just as the others were. No matter what I tried I kept getting the error. I finally had to remove the IF statement that causes it to search for the credit link just to get it to run. You have any ideas? I'm stumped.

I left the credit to your site in there, but just removed the IF statement that searches for it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so.

Thanks for your great work on this mod. It works great.
htmanning

Postby Liv » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Okay... try this....

I went ahead and broke apart the sql request for the topics by forum, so that each forum runs separately. If it is a sql issue it should run much better for you and expand the number of topics you can use.

If it doesn't work, then there's a limit per php file to sql.

Let me know if it works, and if so I'll release it for others to use.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby htmanning » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I think it works. No errors and it shows more topics. So the urls=5000 is now a per forum setting?

Thanks.
htmanning

Postby Liv » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Yes, because instead of using just one request to pull all IDs, it cycles through each forum. The main reason for that limit originally was that some users were getting errors in Google Webmaster Tools past 50000 URLs (apparently their max). This just works the same, but might require some math. Technically I think it's a bit more versatile this way too... and even better is that it works for you! So that's awesome!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Previous

Return to Geekery