Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Adult Chicken Pox?

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:25 pm

I had a fever of like 157F or something, but I woke up this morning covered in this:

Yes that's my arm. It's like freaking Chicken Pox, but I've already had it. I have a feeling it was just from the fever, but I'm not sure. I guess if it's not better by tomorrow, I'll go see the Doc. I hate going to the doctor. He'll just tell me I'm fat, and that the rash is a fat rash. He'll advise me the fat is being crushed by more fat, and that it is trying to escape being crushed to death by forcing its way out my skin, thus the reason I have a fat rash. Technically I haven't had much of an appetite lately. Maybe having your brain boiled to death by a supernova fever, and then breaking out in a bodily disfiguring skin disease is actually a good diet plan. Yes I know this Way To Much information. You can go vomit now.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:59 pm

So I got this rash after getting a fever this weekend. I went in to work this morning, and it was like Jesus parting the red-sea. People did the "Whoa Damn, what happened to your arms" kinda look. When my co-workers realized I was going to stay at work for a little while, they began breaking out their post 9/11 biological weapon kits of duct tape and plastic wrap from their desks. Like I didn't notice, the huge plastic dome over my neighbors cube? Other people were rigging up Lysol cans as a make-shift biological decontamination barrier. It was at this point I figured I probably would be asked to go home soon if they could only find an expendable employee to come tell me. So I left, and went to the doctors.

I get there walk in, and sit down on the lovely examination table that's seen more bare butts then I'd rather think about. Then the nurse comes in. She's 60-70 years old with snow white hair, and could be anyone's Grandma. She asks why I'm here, and I said "Well because of this..." and I take off my jacket I had been wearing. She takes one look at my arm, and nearly falls over from being startled. Then she yells "Damn Honey!, I'll go get the doctor." A few minutes later 2 doctors walk in, one of them stops in the door, and goes "Oh Shit."

It's at this point I'm about to cry.

Eventually the doctors get around to asking the usual questions, and figure out they have absolutely no clue what the hell is going on with me. They eventually decide together that its probably just an infection, and I just need to wait it out.

"Sure Doc, here's your check."

He advised me if I continue to look like the inside of Cherry Pie, I might want to come back for a second guess.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby patricke » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:43 am

Please tell me your description of the doctor visit is a bit exaggerated for fun. If not, send me a note. Your condition looks familiar to me and I bet to Ovittore, too.
patricke

Postby Liv » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:41 pm

It's a little bit exaggerated ,but not by much. I seriously stunned my doctor. We go to a little family practice down In Pleasant Garden, since its half way in between Liberty and Greensboro. (We live part time in both cities)

I don't think they see a whole lot of odd-ball stuff, and this really shocked them. I've never had anything like this before, except for poison ivy, but this stuff is all-over. It's really weird. It's drying out my skin, so I'm a little itchy because of that, but its not that intense itchy like when you get poison ivy.

It reminds me of the time I took wellbutrin to quit smoking, I was allergic to it, and broke out. But then it was just isolated to my legs and joints.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby magicaldollface » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 am

The spots in the picture look very familiar to me as I have been getting these type of spots for the last 5 years. They come and go but there are two different reasons I get them and maybe you could check into these for yourself. The first reason could be photosensitivity. Sometimes having exposure to the sun or actually UV rays can cause these types of spots which actually can be quite itchy at times. The other reason could be a low platelet count which causes these types of spots. They are called purpura. When people are sick, have a fever or infection, a lot of times their platelet count will go way down and you are left with these spots. When your platelets are low, it makes your blood not clot as well which means when you cut yourself it takes longer before it stops bleeding or you will find that you are bruising easier and have no idea where the bruises are coming from. It can be quite dangerous if your platelets get too low and can cause internal bleeding. I remember when I first got these spots and they just came right out of the blue. I had never seen anything like it before. I was sick and had a fever. I had blood work done and that is how they discovered what my spots were caused from. I think got referred to a hematologist. Ask your doctor about these two things. Many doctors will just make excuses instead of really checking into it. I have always been a healthy person and this just happened. I now get these spots about 2 times a year. After all of these years of these spots and then new symptoms that appear, I was eventually diagnosed with Lupus. Not many doctors know much about it. So, I would definitely say, do not overlook it. It could potentially be your body telling you that you have something deeper affecting your health.
magicaldollface

Postby LOL » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 am

I'm sorry but you would be dead if you had a fever above 110F, maybe even 107. If you said you had a fever of 150F+, you wouldn't have wrote this article.
LOL

Postby A Person » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 am

Look up hyperbole
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I might be shingles, which is caused by the same virus as chicken pox, but it doesn't usually present on just the arms like that....plus you have the fever. Do you have any other symptoms? Like a sore throat? I had scarlet fever when I was in 5th grade and it looked very similar to that. If I recall correctly, it comes with strep throat, which does cause a high fever.
Jamy

Postby A Person » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:25 pm

She got the rash in 2006, so hopefully she's over it now :)

rashes are not specific, could have been an allergy, fungal infection or just anxiety.
A Person

Postby Jamy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 am

What the....??? :lol: I totally didn't even think about looking at the date on that thing.

Anyway, I thought she said somewhere that she had a high fever with it and was feeling a little worried about that coming right on the heels of that weird abdominal pain/ not able to breathe thing and was really worried. I'm glad it something old and not associated with anything current.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:21 pm

No it cleared up.

Or it turned me into a Zombie, and I've taken Liv's place.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery