Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Brenda Morgan is in Space

All things awesome.

Postby evilbeth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:52 am

christa-mcauliffe-barbara-morgan.jpg
christa-mcauliffe-barbara-morgan.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 2183 times

If you're not already aware of the story of Barbara Morgan, then be prepared for this to be all over the news in the next few months. She's tentatively planned to be the first teacher in space. You might ask didn't we already try that with Christa Mcauliffe and the Challenger Disaster. Yes... Yes we did, and the person who was the backup for Mcauliffe on that flight? Barbara Morgan.

Talk about the truly American story. One of a normal person thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Overcoming obstacles to in the end come out on top. It sounds like a Hollywood story, but it's real life.

Yes we all know about the Challenger Disaster. What alot of us didn't know is Barbara Morgan in the years following the disaster gave up teaching to pursue a career with NASA. Eventually Barbara would get a second chance. Months before the Columbia disaster; America's second shuttle disaster, NASA had prepared to send Barbara to space yet again. In a weird set of circumstances, her shuttle ended up burning up on re-entry over the western sky of the United States.

Considering the odds for a space shuttle disaster, and more precisely the odds at which Barbara Morgan would be directly associated with it, is somewhat ironic. But the story isn't finished yet. No, 22 years after she trained beside Christa Mcauliffe and the crew of the doomed Challenger, Barbara Morgan will once again attempt fate, possibly overcome the curse that's plagued her for more than a quarter of a century and blast off on August 7th 2007. This time the shuttle will be the Endeavor, or as she likes to correct people "Endeavour", spelled with a "U", and named after "Endeavour" a 18th century British Ship.

en·deav·or (n-dvr)
n.
1. A conscientious or concerted effort toward an end; an earnest attempt.

If she succeeds, then it's obvious that this may be one of the greatest American stories ever told. If she fails, then it's probably good that NASA is keeping things quiet. It's almost as if some sort of hubris hangs over our character's heads. It's Karma on a grand scale. An Iconic end to the age of the shuttle, as NASA approaches the frontier in a new space vehicle similar looking to the Apollo series rockets. Perhaps the greatest consequence of this teacher-now astronaut finally completing her dream, is that we can all gain our dreams back. Dreams, like back when NASA was in the imagination of every child, and space really was the "final frontier."
evilbeth

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Yesterday, NASA conclusively proved the putting a teacher on the shuttle doesn't cause explosions. :?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Well geeze its only been 21 years, whaddya want??! :lol:
185191main_teacher_logo_200.jpg
185191main_teacher_logo_200.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby Liv » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:52 pm

I was so excited... I remember Challenger and oh my gosh... alot of memories have come back.... We almost drove down on Wenesday, but I had to work....

Sadly though, I must inject that the Shuttle hasn't landed yet....
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:06 pm

I just watched Blue Planet on HD-DVD. It was an IMAX film that was directed in the early 90s by a friend of mine, Ben Burtt. Sadly its HD-DVD release was a victim of timing because It absolutely pales in comparison to the incredible BBC series Planet Earth which was released months before. That said, In the IMAX format it's quite remarkable.

Anyway, on that disc was also the IMAX film "The Dream is Alive" (I will just copy and paste my Netflix review)

The disc is worth getting if for no other reason than the second film "the Dream is Alive". Yes, it's a bit dated, but the transfers look pretty good and Shuttle launches in HD look great. It's a reminder of when all was well with the space program, the STS project was still relatively new, no disasters had yet befallen them, and the dream was indeed still alive. Makes one very nostalgic for those days again. The lowdown: Blue Planet suffers from timing. If this had come out before the amazing BBC documentary series "Planet Earth" I'd say jump on it immediately without hesitation. However Planet Earth simply has more stunning footage. The one thing this has is seeing it from the perspective of the astronauts. If you don't like it you can simply switch to "The Dream Is Alive" and relive an age only a few years ago when the space race was alive and thriving.

The Shuttle launches were STUNNING in HD! Man, how I wish I was a kid again so I could still tell myself I was going to grow up to be an astronaut. Sigh...
Sanjuro

Postby Questioner » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Sanjuro wrote:The Shuttle launches were STUNNING in HD! Man, how I wish I was a kid again so I could still tell myself I was going to grow up to be an astronaut. Sigh...

When Alan Shepherd went into space, it seemed like we would all be able to go on space travel in just a few years. Those were such exciting times! I even started a scrapbook to keep of the events as they unfolded. Sadly, it got thrown out in a family move. I wish I had been able to keep it. What neat childhood memories that would have stimulated.
Questioner

Postby Sanjuro » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Liv wrote:
Sadly though, I must inject that the Shuttle hasn't landed yet....

Yup:
capt.sge.koh57.140807030417.photo01.photo.default-512x303.jpg
capt.sge.koh57.140807030417.photo01.photo.default-512x303.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Sanjuro

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Meh -- a little epoxy and some spackle, it'll be good as new.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm just wondering if they might not have more problems when they return to the Apollo style rockets. I mean, it's clear if you toss something 30,000 miles per hour into space you might nick something... but atleast with the shuttle if you burn a small hole in the cargo bay, it's not as big of a deal as burning a hole under your ass in the capsule...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 pm

Liv wrote:I'm just wondering if they might not have more problems when they return to the Apollo style rockets. I mean, it's clear if you toss something 30,000 miles per hour into space you might nick something... but atleast with the shuttle if you burn a small hole in the cargo bay, it's not as big of a deal as burning a hole under your ass in the capsule...

In the Apollo rockets, the heat shield was never exposed to the open the way the shuttle is. Shame they couldn't come up with some sort of kevlar blanket to minimize problems like this...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Sanjuro » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:05 pm

Yeah.. something nice and light like KEVLAR! LOL!

I have a piece of shuttle tile somewhere.. maybe when the shuttle passes over I can toss it up in the air REEAAL hard....
Sanjuro

Return to Geekery