Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Save the Space Shuttle from NASA.

All things awesome.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm

While I was at the space center, one of the tour guides mentioned this shuttle sale business. She said that a Smithsonian docent had visited and mentioned that they were going to be getting Endeavor soon. The KSC guide had resisted that notion, saying that she had heard of no sale yet. Apparently, they are pretty attached to the shuttles.

And that's understandable. Without them, and with the Orion project unlikely to get actual funding, they will be very soon relegated to the status of the European space center as a launch site -- sending up comm sats, weather balloons and not a whole lot else. And dreaming the years away recalling the glory that once was...

:cry:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:52 pm

The Right Stuff will be coming from private firms in the future. Or so the Obama administration hopes.

And of course, the contracts will go to the lowest bidders. Blah...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:12 am

Allows you to shift the blame too when the thing blows up because the gas pedal sticks.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Of course, it's interesting to note that most of the people who work at Kennedy Space Center are ALREADY contractors of one type or other. I guess this means that actual NASA employees are going to be come an even rarer breed than they already are. And Astronauts will eventually be put out t the highest bids. Man, the 21st century is gonna be great...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:And of course, the contracts will go to the lowest bidders. Blah...

It is better than going to the highest bidder.

Provided it is properly specified and has adequate QC the lowest bidder should be just fine. I personally always look for the lowest cost - provided I am getting the product and service I want.

Lowest bidder is what keeps Canadian drug prices less than half US prices as an example. It doesn't mean that the product is inferior.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 pm

All that really stands in the way of keeping the shuttles flying is money. Honestly, that is the biggest piece of non-news I've seen in months. The only thing that keeps us from placing huge domed cities on the Moon, Mars and Europa is money, honey. We could have started developing space arks to send to nearby star systems, if humanity had ended all wars in 1918, like they promised.

But no -- gotta keep squabbling over territory and resources like the savages we are, until we finally drive ourselves to extinction. And a few million years later, the cockroaches will evolve into truly intelligent beings and find our ruins and fossils, and wonder what natural disaster killed us off.

Poor dopes. I bet THEY'LL make it. :evil:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 pm

I knew they wouldn't cancel them. 200 mil is a drop in the bucket.

Question is, what could we do if we repositioned all of our defense budget to NASA.... Wonder if we could build Destiny:

sgu-destiny_288x288.jpg
sgu-destiny_288x288.jpg (14.6 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:13 pm

A good article by Phil Plait on the recent news about evidence for life on Titan

Bottom line, there is evidence that suppports the hypothesis that there is life on Titan. It's long way from 'proof' or even 'convincing evidence'
A Person

Postby Liv » Mon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 am

I see that the next heavy-lift vehicle for NASA has been officially announced. The business of sending stuff and people into low Earth orbit is being left entirely in the hands of the free market, while NASA concentrates on putting men on Mars and asteroids with this new rocket, bigger than the Saturn V.

And the name of this gi-normous new super-rocket? The "Space Launch System." I can see kids just drooling to start playing with models of THAT, can't you?

Now, I know that NASA can never return to the glory days of the Space Race. When guys with ballz of pure titanium rode Atlases, Titans and Saturns into space. But in those years, when NASA worked hard both at doing a mind-boggling task that no one could have dreamed of only 10 years before... they did that work with STYLE.

Now, they're planning projects that make no real sense, just to have something to do. And they're doing it with no style at all. AND, they are doing it in full knowledge that Congress will never buy what they're trying to sell. I just do not get it. NASA would be better off admitting to itself that it is never going to launch humans into space for America... EVER. Launching robots to long-distance destinations appears to be its final niche... at least until America finds some way to become prosperous again.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 am

NASA needs a poster child. I highly recommend they use some of these astronauts before they're all forced to live in the pages of history books.

I do think we can return to the glory days. Absolutely.

If need be, they need to sell their souls to the devil and find warmongering uses for their spacecrafts.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm

The Air Force already has war in space covered, rather nicely, in fact. Myself, I doubt there will ever come a time that human space travel will ever become a priority to the industrialized world until we end up with a Wall-E scenario, and we have to build space arks. Hint: pray you don't get assigned to Space Ark B (galactic hitchhikers will get it).
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Nfidel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Nfidel

Postby Liv » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:46 pm

OMG those are great Infidel....

I would love to have a suit just to go walking around downtown in.

Single best advertising you could ever achieve....
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Nfidel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, I'm jealous I didn't come up with that concept. IIRC, without the life support equipment the current suits weigh over 100 pounds, so maybe these were costumes. You get one and we'll come up with our own project.
Nfidel

Postby Liv » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Goodbye ole friend:

discovery7_J.jpg
discovery6_J.jpg
discovery5_J.jpg
041912pod04_J.jpg
discovery8_J.jpg
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Previous

Return to Geekery