Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Tachyons | Faster than light particles.

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Journeyman, just plain out rocks. Now that VivaLauglin is officially dead, I can clearly say that this is the best new show on TV. Each week they talk about Tachyons, which I finally decided to look up. On the show they are said to be particles that can travel faster then the speed of Light. Interestingly enough, there isn't much on the internet about them:

Tachyon (tăk`ēŏn'), is any hypothetical particle that travels at superluminal velocity. Tachyonic fields have appeared theoretically in a variety of contexts, such as the Bosonic string theory. In the language of special relativity, a tachyon is a particle with space-like four-momentum and imaginary proper time. A tachyon is constrained to the space-like portion of the energy-momentum graph. Therefore, it can never slow to light speed or below.

I So-o-o want some!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby BecauseHeLives » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Tachyon is simply another word for gossip.

:mrgreen:
BecauseHeLives

Postby Liv » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:15 pm

I'm going as a Tachyon for Halloween...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:45 am

You realize that that means no-one will see you until after you get there and then they'll see two of you, one coming and one going?
A Person

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:30 am

wasn't there a tachyon beam or something in star trek?
Matt

Postby Liv » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:12 am

A Person wrote:You realize that that means no-one will see you until after you get there and then they'll see two of you, one coming and one going?

Sounds like my employment.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 pm

Matt wrote:wasn't there a tachyon beam or something in star trek?

That's what my professor said, after he told us in class "nothing moves faster than light".... and I responded "tachyon!"

-I think I earned some respect in his eyes on that one... I out geeked him.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:23 am

Haldron Collider creates faster than light particles. Maybe.

Code: Select all
They found it traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than light. That's sixty billionth of a second, a time no human brain could register.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah, haven't heard anything more about that since the rest of the science community has been trying to confirm it.

My question is... how did they manage to create and detect a BEAM of neutrinos? I thought that it took a huge expanse of pure water to even have a HOPE of detecting these buggers interacting with anything...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:46 pm

I have no clue on the science of it all, I could only guess that it could be measured by the difference of a light particle.... but not a clue....

Very cool stuff though...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Okay, so apparently they're saying their TomTom screwed it up:

It is 60 nanoseconds, which set fire to the powder: according to CERN, neutrinos have effectively less than 60ns would put the light to travel a given distance in the particle accelerator. The experiment was called OPERA . And excitement was at its height as it was an experience, if not experience, the most significant in the history of quantum physics. But Ronald van Elburg, University of Groningen in the Netherlands showed that there was a mistake. The OPERA experiment is based on 20 cm from a distance of 732 km (between CERN and the Gran Sasso Laboratory in Italy). However, the CERN scientists state that they are able to measure when the neutrinos are created and when they are detected at their "arrival" with two separate clocks. And the source of the error come from these two clocks. They must be perfectly synchronized. They are using the GPS satellites that emit a perfectly accurate clock signal to both clocks. But in an experiment of this precision, the time required for waves from satellites to reach the ground must be taken into account. Above all, we must consider that the satellites move during the experiment. So there are two reference systems: the ground and that of 'clocks' in orbit. And this is precisely where the shoe pinches. If we look at the operation from a satellite: the positions of issuers and their neutrino detector change. According Elburg: " From the point of view of the clock, the sensor moves to the source and consequently, the distance traveled by the particles observed from the reference clock is shorter . " Understand: shortest to the clock than it is to the ground. CERN did not take into account the fact that the clocks (ie clocks sources, satellites so) were in orbit . They have neglected this aspect in their measurement. And according to the calculations of the physicist, this error is quantified in 32NS. But it must be doubled to 64ns for the same error occurs on both sides of the experience (both moments of measurement). 64ns And, as it is what CERN has measured. 's theory of relativity Einstein is not set to default by the experience. The scientific community must, however, consider the argument of van Elburg before confirmation.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery