·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Wachovia's $5 Check Cashing Fee

by BecauseHeLives | Published on October 24th, 2010, 1:48 pm | Life
Serendipitous wrote:
vpolite wrote:Banks are in a business to be profitable.

This is exactly why I quit my job in the banking industry and moved to the health-related industry. Even though my company also is "all about making money" at least the services we provide are for diagnosing diseases or improving health/patientcare.

I wouln't want to work for a company that wasn't "all about making money". I would think job security would not be very high there. Even non-profits have to "make money" to survive.

Ah the bi-polar mind at work again

There is a world of difference between a company that is profitable and one that is 'all about making money'

The enlightened 19th century British reformers like Cadbury, Lever and Wedgewood put social responsibility first, looking after their workers and maximising profits somewhere much further down the list. You may have read 'A Christmas Carol'

Bah Humbug to your philosophy of profits above all

Screw Tiny Tim.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 24th, 2010, 2:14 pm
A Person

If you don't make a profit you can't take care of your employees. You just can't put the horse before the buggy AP no matter what weird logic you try to use.
October 24th, 2010, 5:49 pm
BecauseHeLives

Jacob Marley: In life, my spirit never rose beyond the limits of our money-changing holes! Now I am doomed to wander without rest or peace, incessant torture and remorse!
Ebenezer: But it was only that you were a good man of business, Jacob!
Jacob Marley: BUSINESS? Mankind was my business! Their common welfare was my business! And it is at this time of the rolling year that I suffer most!

Spirit of Christmas Present: So! Is your heart still unmoved towards us, then?
Ebenezer: I'm too old and beyond hope! Go and redeem some younger, more promising creature, and leave me to keep Christmas in my own way!
Spirit of Christmas Present: Mortal! We Spirits of Christmas do not live only one day of our year. We live the whole three-hundred and sixty-five. So is it true of the Child born in Bethlehem. He does not live in men's hearts one day of the year, but in all days of the year. You have chosen not to seek Him in your heart. Therefore, you will come with me and seek Him in the hearts of men of good will.

Or not it seems
October 24th, 2010, 6:18 pm
A Person

huh???
October 24th, 2010, 8:33 pm
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:You just can't put the horse before the buggy AP no matter what weird logic you try to use.

Well, I'm sorry but that's the way it's always been done up here

But then we're not reeel smart like you suthern folk what puts the buggy in front

buggy-b4-horse.jpg
October 24th, 2010, 10:03 pm
A Person

As a business owner you should be happy people are coming to your establishment to cash checks since it shows your company has loyal customers! you'd want to wow them with great service and try to peel them away from their banking institutions and join yours, not piss them off and leave a nasty taste in their mouths over $5. I have chase as my banking institution and don't agree with some of their practices but my account was grandfathered in from Washington mutual which was a great bank!chase constantly tries to get me to alter my account so they don't have to honor my benefits agreed upon when signing up with WM.
November 15th, 2010, 6:24 pm
fukbanks

Guest wrote:All you people griping of a $5 fee obviously do not understand that banks are in business to be profitable. The fee is a disincentive to non-paying-customers utilizing the banks services (which cost a lot of money to provide) for free. It is very expensive to monitor/transport/secure cash. You people are thinking of only yourself cashing a $100 check. Well, the reality is that easily happens 20 times a day per branch. If the banks didn't provide a disincentive then people would regularly do this and the bank would have a difficult time figuring out how much money to have on hand at their branches and would also have to pay to have a larger amount on hand only to give it away for free. The bottom line... if you owned a business and had mulitple people always trying to use your service for free- thus costing you money, you'd change the way you did business and figure out a way to charge them.

Im sorry but you are really a moron. Nobody is losing money here the cheque is an instrument of instruction for the release of funds it was always like this since the idea of cheques was created all banks did it in the past for customers of other banks its called reciprocity. All of this is pretty new stuff that the banks are trying to make common practice on the young ignorant generation that does not complain or protest when being taken advantage of.
i'm pretty sure charging a fee by the bank that holds the account client or not is illegal. The banks are getting away with this because they are insolvent right now and they are the ones that control the law and this country.
Cheque cashing places are a complete different story they are a third party and are taking a risk and are providing this service for people that can not get a bank account because they've been flagged by CHEX SYSTEMS.
The Patriot Act now allows banks to collect social security numbers on non interest barring accounts of any signatory, this information allows the banks to use their own version of a credit bureau called CHEX SYSTEM to filter out their client base. People that are on this system find it impossible to get off or even get a bank account to pay their basic utilities, in a sense they are royally screwed. This system in this sense is even worse than Experian, Equifax,and Trans Union. The cheque cashing fee although for most of us can be avoided by going to our bank and hope the cheque does not bounce because we get hit with a fee for that, needs to stop so that a legitamate avenue exists for certain transactions.
December 9th, 2010, 8:21 pm
me

Return to Life