Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Classic Springmaid Adverts

All things awesome.

Postby A Person » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Well since we're on a run of 'classic' adverts, may I submit Springmaid Fabrics, authors of the memorable "Buck well spent", "How to make an extra Buck" and "Protect your ASSets' ads.

Springmaid-buck.jpg

Springmaid-buck2.jpg

Apparently women 'who bruise easily' were warned to wear two pairs of panties and a chest protector before venturing onto Capitol Hill.
Springmaid-goose.jpg

springmaid-assests1.jpg
A Person

Postby Liv » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:27 pm

I'm not sure if it would be so flattering to wear undies that can double as the mast of a sail boat....
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:30 pm

If you're going to get your ass (and possibly tits) pinched so hard that it leaves bruises then sailcloth might be the answer. Or else carrying a baseball bat.
A Person

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow the artwork in that first one is fantastic. Lovin the see-through skirt. :oops:
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby A Person » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:50 pm

If they re-issued the "Brand new sports shirt in the Springmaid Harem print ... featuring the famous Sprinmaid girls in a colorful Oriental setting" I'll bet they could get a lot more than $3.95 for it :) - Although with cotton sheet now costing around $60 that would make the shirt around $240 in today's dollars - maybe not.
A Person

Postby Serendipitous » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:19 am

Springmaid Poker. ROFLMAO
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Postby A Person » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Why push with a paddle when you can lay alongside a SPRINGMAID ..
Buck who is panting from prodding propulsion...
Ham hamper and lung lug trade...
This buck looks like 47c...

All the Ad copy is amazing to us now. And that was 1950 - imagine trying to run those ads today! The religious right would complain about the artwork, the liberal left would complain about the sexist and racist themes...

The concept that a young woman should not expect to walk on Capitol Hill without being assaulted - and that the response should be to wear more underwear. Just goes to show there was more going on then than our parents are telling.

Updated copy: Whether you're kneeling in by decree before George, or for some other reason before Bill, SPRINGMAID cotton wadding will keep your knees comfortable for hours - should it take that long.
A Person

Postby Robin steely » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:33 pm

When I was a kid, there was an ad that showed a young Indian male coming out of a tepee, where a beautiful young Indian maiden was siting combing her heir. The young man was obviously very tired. I didn't understand it at the time, as I was just a kid. Later I understood and, frankly, I thought it was very clever. So much for my political correctness. That one was probably the most obviously sexual in content of any of them.
Robin steely

Return to Geekery