Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Linksys Wireless Broadband Router

All things awesome.

Postby Matt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:45 am

Ok, so the new job provided a new laptop and means to link up with the entire power of their intranet so long as I can connect that computer to the internet. The home office computer room is a bit small and demand for that computer is rising so I needed to be able to take my laptop anywhere.

I bought the wireless router on the 15th and installed. Process was pretty easy and self explanatory. You can buy the routers with the turbo boosted Rangemark and Speedmark for faster and more distant surfing. But what Linksys doesn't make obvious is that you have to buy their wireless card that make that boost in power functional. So I bought the cheapest they had. Good connection, pretty speedy far as I can tell.

A couple of days ago, I started losing the wireless connection and it would lock out the desk top from the net that is hard-wired to the cable modem. I kept on having to reboot my computer and the routers. Finally had enough and called tech support. Got the tech from India but I must say she/he (I couldn't quite tell the gender by voice), was very patient, friendly, and spoke good English.

We walked through the various configsys pingings and finally determined the router was crap-ola. Took it back and got a replacement one.

So far as Linksys hardware, I'm on #2 in 10 days. Not looking good.

But when it's working, it works well and their service is pretty good.
Matt

Postby Liv » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:13 am

but I must say she/he (I couldn't quite tell the gender by voice),

You know, I hear that's a big problem these days.... you never can tell.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby BecauseHeLives » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:39 am

Routers do seem to go bad easily. I'm probably on my 10th router and more than half of my old ones went bad.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Liv » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Bought a Linsksys WRT45-D??? I think... 3 years ago when I bought the laptop.... plugged it in, and haven't had a problem since.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Matt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:19 pm

I got the WRT54G.

Hopefully it was just a fluke thing that I got a bad one.
Matt

Postby Liv » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 pm

I've actually heard similar things from Linksys customers..... but haven't had a problem myself...

You might want to check the "firmware" on the one you have... I had to upgrade mine.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby BecauseHeLives » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Linksys has had a run of problems from time to time. You never want to have a rev 0 version of Linksys because they always seem to be buggy. But then again, MOST companies have the same issues as Linksys. I remember a few years back I bought a Linksys router, had problems with it early on, and took it back to CompUSA. I found out from a customer rep there that ALL of those particular routers were being returned.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Circuitpirate » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:48 pm

I have the same router that you got matt, never had a single problem. The only things that I can even think that would come close to being classified as a problem is setting up the WEP security along with having to set up the computers to 'talk' to it.

I love linksys and would buy another if the need ever arises
Circuitpirate

Postby Liv » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:41 pm

QvEhW.jpg
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery