Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Neti Pot Review - It's like Douching for your nose

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 am

[floatr]
013.jpg
Netti Pot
[/floatr]Let me warn you as we embark on my wonderful review of the Neti Pot. Up to last night, I would have thought it was some sort of marijuana grown by a Yeti big-foot, but in actuality it's snot pot of insanity that will blow your mind. Literally.

A little background. I began researching any last minute ideas for "Ear-plane ear" as it's called. I mentioned the other day, the last few times I flew my ears didn't "unpop" for almost 24hours after landing. I hated it! I knew about the "Afrin" cure after flying back last year and deciding to find an answer. To make a long story short, I eventually stumbled upon the process on Nasal Irrigation.

That brings us to the Neti Pot. It's a mini-tea pot you fill with salt water and stick it in your nose, and pour (without sucking) it into all the nasal cavities in your head. (Think of it as an ant colony) Then when it's completely full, it waterfalls out the other side along with all the nasty bad stuff.

Sounds weird. I thought so too, but the number of people that are doing this is "insane". It's been on all the news shows, Oprah, and everyone says once you "blow, you'll never go back". Supposedly it's the long-time secret of Broadway actors, and Opera singers to clear out congestion. To give you an idea, here's a video of the process I found on youtube:

Seems simple, and honestly I was sold. Too late to hit CVS yesterday, I picked up one today. Honestly I was a bit scared. I was afraid of swallowing it, of choking, but it's really a very serene yoga like experience.... Once the fear has passed...

Jala neti, though relatively less known in Western culture, is a common practice in parts of India and other areas in South East Asia, performed as routinely as brushing one's teeth using a toothbrush.

Apparently flushing your nose out with a Neti is all the rage today, so much so, you can pick one up at any drug store. I went to CVS today and got a off-brand named one for about $9.00 with the "modernized" squeeze bottle and 20 or so Saline packages. I came home ripped open the package and prepared for torture or inner peace.

It was simple, easy... and worked perfectly except for the fact I may have squeezed a bit too hard the first time. The fear quickly passed as I could instantly notice an improvement in breathing. After all, what works for your radiator on your car, has to be good for the body....

Basically it's a simple process of putting a package of the PH balanced Neti mixture in the bottle (or pot), filling it with warm water, shaking and shooting. Blow your noise, and repeat on the opposite orifice.

I can honestly say this stuff is Great. I'm hooked. I've never had a clearer head (literally and metaphorically) then with this stuff. It's like Douching for your nose, and it rocks. Things smell better, taste better, and I don't feel nearly plugged up in this post-flu season. My recommendation? Douche your nose today, with a Neti Pot.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby The Rain King » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:38 am

I've got one. I thought the Queen was outta her mind when she brought it home. " You want me to pour water up my nose !? Hmmm. Wait-a-minute...wouldn't that be, like, DROWNING!!? "

But it does work. Takes some getting used to. I mainly use it after I cut the grass. I've found sea salt works pretty well, and is easier on the snoz than the iodized stuff.

Or you could just shove a Mentos up there and snort some Diet Coke, I suppose. ( Booger-Blaster !! Available at all Walgreens ! )

You can tell there ain't many spring chickens in this flock. We gonna talk about stool softener preferences now? :wink:
The Rain King

Postby debris » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:55 am

I periodically suffer from sinus headaches, but they usually pass within a day. A few weeks ago, I had a doozy that continued for nearly a week. I'd seen these sinus cleansing products before and thought "way too gross"; but this time I was desperate enough to try anything. Like Liv and Rain King, I was pleasantly surprised. A substantial quantity of nasty goop came out of my nose, and the pressure abated appreciably. The one I used works with a spray bottle rather than a pouring spout. It was easy to use and (apart from the icky discharge) not at all unpleasant.
debris

Postby Questioner » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:03 am

The Neti Pot is OK. However, it isn't the best product. Nor the cheapest. If you are really short of money, you can get the NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle (comes with 5 or so saline packets) for only about $4 bucks at Walgreens

The NeilMed product works better because it is a squeeze bottle. The small amount of pressure is very beneficial because it breaks up crusted matter way better than the pot. It does reduce swelling from colds and allergy attacks. But it also seems to have the very beneficial effect of reducing the amount of colds and allergy attacks. This is because your likelihood of actually getting sick from the rhinoviruses (colds etc.) and bacterial illnesses contracted through the nose and sinus partly depends on the amount of virus or bacteria you get contaminated with. Washing out the sinus also washes out bacteria and viruses, not to mention dust, pollen and various other junk. Washing them out greatly reduces the number that remain to make you sick. And the positive pressure of the NeilMed system gets rid of all that junk way better than the Neti Pot.

Want to save money? Make your own solution. All it takes is 1/2 teaspoon of salt (get the non-iodized type, although the iodine won't hurt you) and add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda for the ph. Put the salt and soda into the NeilMed bottle, fill it with water, shake until dissolved, and screw in the top and you are ready to roll. the only difference is that NeilMed grinds their salt much finer than table salt. Sea salt is just fine too.

Another hint for moms and dads of kids that get a lot of colds and flu. Put a cup of cider vinegar in their bath water before you bathe them. This is an old remedy of my Southern Grandmother and I swear it works. My sister's daughter was getting 2-3 colds every winter until she finally tried this remedy and the kid never had another cold. Why it works I have no idea.
Questioner

Postby has to be anon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:05 am

Now, if you could just learn how to blow your vagina.
has to be anon

Postby A Person » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:12 am

Questioner wrote: the only difference is that NeilMed grinds their salt much finer than table salt. .
Why would that be a factor - the salt is dissolved?
A Person

Postby Sanjuro » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:02 pm

I've used one, and when it was all over I thought I had stuck hot pokers in my nostrils. Either the mixture must have been wrong, or I had a sinus infection already. :lol:
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby Liv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Questioner wrote:The Neti Pot is OK. However, it isn't the best product. Nor the cheapest. If you are really short of money, you can get the NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle (comes with 5 or so saline packets) for only about $4 bucks at Walgreens

That's actually the one I bought... but I know alot of people heard about Sinucleanse on Oprah....

Yes, very good.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Questioner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:48 pm

A Person wrote:
Questioner wrote: the only difference is that NeilMed grinds their salt much finer than table salt. .
Why would that be a factor - the salt is dissolved?

The purpose of the finer grind is to make you THINK there is a difference. They both dissolve completely and function in exactly the same way. I haven't even had any of the packets for years. Too expensive and wasteful of paper in the environment.
Questioner

Postby Questioner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:49 pm

Sanjuro wrote:I've used one, and when it was all over I thought I had stuck hot pokers in my nostrils. Either the mixture must have been wrong, or I had a sinus infection already. :lol:

The mixture was wrong. That is what it feels like if you use pure water without the salt. My guess is you had less than half the salt you needed. You need exactly 1/2 teaspoon salt per cup (8 oz) water.

I don't believe having a sinus infection would have made the procedure painful. It is highly recommended to help relieve the pain of a sinus infection because it draws out infection and clears out some of the pressure. And pressure hurts a lot!
Questioner

Postby nick » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:53 am

Take it from a sinus infection expert..........THE NETI POT WORKS!!! Think about it. All of the dirt, dust, allergens,pathogens,ect. that go up your nose daily are being flushed out. I was skeptical at first when my doctor advised me to buy one and try it. It really helps.
nick

Return to Geekery