Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

The Gay Vaccine- The cure for Heterosexuality

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:54 pm

gay_vaccine.jpg
The other day I was flipping through the TV channels, and Cinemax was running a snippet from X-Men. Some sort of line was said "You think we're the disease, we say we're the cure." At this point you can probably get where I'm going with this; after all, X-Men III was touted as a GLBT metaphor themed movie even before it's release- and really, what I'm suggesting isn't really all that different then what conservative Christians want. If they had their way, we'd all be heterosexual bible beaters sitting in the front pews of their Baptist Churches paying our 10% to fund their Hummers and Super churches. De-Gayification, treating homosexuality with drugs has always been a cornerstone of the Religious right's hope in saving America. What if the opposite could be done?

It seems sort of silly, but what if we could make heterosexuals- gay? Sure, Orson Scott Card would be upset, but lets say it was possible. Think I'm kidding, Scientists have done it- they've made bugs: "bi". The US military tried it. They call it the Gay Bomb.

"One distasteful but non-lethal example would be strong aphrodisiacs, especially if the chemical also caused homosexual behaviour," says the proposal from the Air Force's Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio.

Personally, I'd love to see this "bomb" tested on Fred Phelps neighborhood, the more interesting a likely candidate would be the Taliban.

Perhaps this goes back to the childhood "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" metaphor. If the tables were turned, if heterosexuals just for a moment could walk in the shoes of their homosexual brothers and sisters perhaps we wouldn't have people like Orson planning to overthrow the government and kill gays.

Perhaps if we made heterosexual marriage illegal just for a week, then those who are so adamantly & hypocritically against it would change their minds.

I must admit the idea, though fiction, does appeal to some inner vindictive side of me. Thinking of George Bush in the fetal position in the corner of a room duct-taped with plastic wrap praying he doesn't wake up 28 days later wanting to love on Dick Cheney makes my giggle intensely.

In reality I do think it's possible with all the efforts to ban "Gay Marriage" we could see a backlash which at some point eliminates "Heterosexual" marriage at least in a legal sense. Eventually it will be all or nothing. Give everyone marriage, or no one. Now there's some irony, the institution of marriage, which conservatives set out to protect gets destroyed by their own bigotry. Now that would make a good movie.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Nfidel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Never forget that "protecting marriage" and family are merely code words for hating homosexuality and homosexuals. If they really wanted to protect marriage, they would not target gays so much, but would spend more money and airtime on anti-divorce programs at a national level. Where are the anti- divorce rallies? Where are the fundamentalist preachers calling for letter writing campaigns in opposition to a divorced McCain ? The fundies biggest issue is abortion and you don't see homosexuals lining up at the clinics for that procedure. You'd think they would be grateful for that.
Nfidel

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Hypothesis: You know for a fact that your child has a 95% chance of becoming gay. You know that there is a vaccine that is 100% effective of preventing your child from becoming gay.

Do you give your child the vaccine?
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:20 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Hypothesis: You know for a fact that your child has a 95% chance of becoming gay. You know that there is a vaccine that is 100% effective of preventing your child from becoming gay.

Nope.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Nfidel wrote:Never forget that "protecting marriage" and family are merely code words for hating homosexuality and homosexuals. If they really wanted to protect marriage, they would not target gays so much, but would spend more money and airtime on anti-divorce programs at a national level. Where are the anti- divorce rallies? Where are the fundamentalist preachers calling for letter writing campaigns in opposition to a divorced McCain ? The fundies biggest issue is abortion and you don't see homosexuals lining up at the clinics for that procedure. You'd think they would be grateful for that.

So true. When I've pointed the same thing out, people try to divert the issue.
Sanjuro

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:Hypothesis: You know for a fact that your child has a 95% chance of becoming gay. You know that there is a vaccine that is 100% effective of preventing your child from becoming gay.

Nope.

Rephrase the question then:
You know for a fact that your child has a 95% chance of becoming short. You know that there is a completely safe vaccine that is 100% effective of preventing your child from becoming short.

BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:41 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
You know for a fact that your child has a 95% chance of becoming short. You know that there is a completely safe vaccine that is 100% effective of preventing your child from becoming short.

Define short.. Seriously, it's a bit vague. You mean dwarf?
Sanjuro

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Define short.. Seriously, it's a bit vague. You mean dwarf?

I'm not sure why it matters but let's just say instead of a normal 6 foot tall your boy would only grow to 5 foot tall.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:45 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
I'm not sure why it matters but let's just say instead of a normal 6 foot tall your boy would only grow to 5 foot tall.

Oh, ok. No, I wouldn't see the need.
Sanjuro

Postby Nfidel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:50 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:
You know for a fact that your child has a 95% chance of becoming short.

All children are short. They can't become that way as they already are that way. They can outgrow shortness but can never avoid it fully. I suppose you meant that the child has 95% chance of not growing taller than below average height. Give to us in inches.
Nfidel

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Oh, ok. No, I wouldn't see the need.

I find that hard to believe that you wouldn't give your child a completely safe vaccine that would allow the child to grow to a normal height. Could it be because you know where I'm going with this?
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:57 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
I find that hard to believe that you wouldn't give your child a completely safe vaccine that would allow the child to grow to a normal height. Could it be because you know where I'm going with this?

How does being 5 feet keep someone from fulfilling their potential? I'm not getting where you're going I'm afraid. :(
Sanjuro

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

How does being 5 feet keep someone from fulfilling their potential? I'm not getting where you're going I'm afraid. :(

Did I mention potential? At what point in the height process would you administer the vaccine then?

On the related question above... since it seems that gays go through a huge emotional toll why would you force your child to endure the same by not giving them a vaccine that would resolve the issue?
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:13 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Did I mention potential? At what point in the height process would you administer the vaccine then?

On the related question above... since it seems that gays go through a huge emotional toll why would you force your child to endure the same by not giving them a vaccine that would resolve the issue?

Well to call something a 'vaccine' it implies there is a problem fulfilling potential or is in danger. Being short doesn't debilitate someone. I know too many short people that are not only happy but great successes.

Same thing with being gay. Nothing is 'wrong' with being that way. Again, I know too many happy well adjusted and tremendously successful gay people to EVER think there needs to be a 'vaccine' for something.
Sanjuro

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Well to call something a 'vaccine' it implies there is a problem fulfilling potential or is in danger. Being short doesn't debilitate someone. I know too many short people that are not only happy but great successes.

Same thing with being gay. Nothing is 'wrong' with being that way. Again, I know too many happy well adjusted and tremendously successful gay people to EVER think there needs to be a 'vaccine' for something.

You are still missing the point. Why subject your child to difficult circumstances when it doesn't need to be that way?
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:22 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
You are still missing the point. Why subject your child to difficult circumstances when it doesn't need to be that way?

If this is your point, why not also make everyone Caucasian so no one would be racist?

Look, it's only difficult if they run into people who have been brought up to do such things or are allowed to by society. Better question is; if you could pass a law to make all parents and kids attend mandatory classes on acceptance and the nature prejudice would you do it?
Sanjuro

Postby A Person » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:You are still missing the point. Why subject your child to difficult circumstances when it doesn't need to be that way?

This is indeed the nub.

One could ask the parents of Jews in 1930's Germany "Why raise your child to be Jewish, he'd be much less likely to be oppressed if raised as a Christian"

Or "Why immigrate to the US, think of the racism your children will have to suffer"

Or "A white girl like you mustn't marry a black man - think of the problems the children will have"

Using bigotry and intolerance to argue against the targeted is nasty rhetoric.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

If this is your point, why not also make everyone Caucasian so no one would be racist?

Look, it's only difficult if they run into people who have been brought up to do such things or are allowed to by society.

Not really. It's a fact that short men in general have lower self esteem, lower paying jobs and are disadvantaged in most sports. Not to mention all of the short jokes that come their way. I could go on but I don't need to in order to make my point. The same issues could be said about growing up gay. Just ask Liv about the heartaches she has had just at her current job. Pretending that your kids aren't going to run into people that are not going to abuse them is just kidding yourself. By not giving your kids the chance to grow up normal (by not simply giving them the vaccine) is tantamount to willful child abuse. What makes you different than the people that won't take their kids to the doctor when they are sick?
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:55 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Not really. It's a fact that short men in general have lower self esteem, lower paying jobs and are disadvantaged in most sports. Not to mention all of the short jokes that come their way. I could go on but I don't need to in order to make my point. The same issues could be said about growing up gay. Just ask Liv about the heartaches she has had just at her current job. Pretending that your kids aren't going to run into people that are not going to abuse them is just kidding yourself. By not giving your kids the chance to grow up normal (by not simply giving them the vaccine) is tantamount to willful child abuse. What makes you different than the people that won't take their kids to the doctor when they are sick?

Well if you want to change that then look in the mirror and start there. Ask yourself why you would advocate such a vaccine. APerson has again trumped me with a deeper dive into my original point. Too many people have tried to justify their other own prejudices in the same way.
Sanjuro

Postby A Person » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:59 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:It's a fact that short men in general have lower self esteem

the same is true for women with small breasts.

I presume that you have your kinds on hormones and steroids to protect them from this unfair discrimination.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:48 pm

First, yes I've definitely had a lot of problems due to our relationship, but to quote V for Vendetta:

V: What was done to me was monstrous.
Evey Hammond: And they created a monster.

To say I'd not be who I am today if it wasn't for the struggles I've been through is an understatement. I mean would you go back BHL, and change your past? Knowing what you know today? For me, I often wonder if coming out of the closet and being who I am earlier in life, may have been beneficial for me, but I wouldn't have the life, nor the family I have today if what happened wasn't what occurred. I'm sure for you, your evolution in faith may have required a similar paradoxical past.

That said, despite my turmoiled life in a world ran by people who think they know how others should be, I would be very happy if my children were gay. I would be equally happy if they were straight. There is benefits to both, and truthfully the benefits seem to be growing on the side of homosexuality. When gays can have genetic offspring, and marry the playing field will be equal. It is coming, and it doesn't have the redneck boyfriend working at Dollar General knocking up my daughter when she's 17. The bottom line is it's there decision. It's there life and I would never make a decision such as a vaccine to cure homosexuality. Personally I don't even understand why parents snip their boy children's parts because of religion either. We didn't... it's another example of something that will be his choice when he is older.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Serendipitous » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 am

BecauseHeLives wrote:Why subject your child to difficult circumstances when it doesn't need to be that way?

Sanjuro wrote:...it's only difficult if they run into people who have been brought up to do such things or are allowed to by society.

A Person wrote:One could ask the parents of Jews in 1930's Germany "Why raise your child to be Jewish, he'd be much less likely to be oppressed if raised as a Christian"

Or "Why immigrate to the US, think of the racism your children will have to suffer"

Or "A white girl like you mustn't marry a black man - think of the problems the children will have"

Using bigotry and intolerance to argue against the targeted is nasty rhetoric.

BHL, if you're seeking to create a perfect world by your standards, maybe you just need to get some action figures and start a new Neighborhood of Make Believe.

Let me throw something else out here:

A woman goes in for prenatal tests and the results indicate that she will give birth to a child with severe birth defects. There is no "vaccine" or prenatal "fix." Options are to abort or to allow the pregnancy to go full term and give birth to a child who will live an extremely difficult "life." The woman asks you for advice. What do you tell her and why?
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:56 am

This is a very realistic hypothetical. My brother was born severely retarded, and has lived an entire lifetime of an institutionalized ward of the state. For many years, he was drugged into semi-consciousness by the institution's staff and just allowed to sit in corners all day, then sleep on army cots at night.

Life is better for him these days, thanks to improved state funding and staffing, but the point is that he has lived the life of a prisoner within his own diseased, crippled body for 60 years. One of his contributions to society was to be a case discussed back in the 70s as one of many patients who were physically abused (using burning cigarettes) by several members of the hospital caretaker staff.

Now, had my parents known without doubt 7 months before his birth that this was to be his fate -- who would have stood before them and told them that they had no choice but to carry such a baby to term? Well, in fact, the government did this in those days. I feel grateful that such is not the case today.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby vanessa » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:49 am

Of course I give the vaccine: one day I'll want grandchildren.
vanessa

Postby Liv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:20 pm

You can have grandchildren and your child still be gay.

Duh.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to Geekery