Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Does Zicam work?

All things awesome.

Postby Liv » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:58 am

Bought some stuff today after catching a mild cold. Took it and I feel a tad better, but is it placebo? I'm curious if anyone else takes it, and what their reaction is to this $13.00 cure to the common cold?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Wanda » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:06 pm

I use it and it seems to work as long as you take at the first sign of a cold.
Wanda

Postby Nfidel » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:19 pm

I would assume placebo, since the makers haven't tried to get approval to sell this as an actual regulated drug, but are selling it as a homeopathic medicine.
Companies that sell homeopathic products are not required to go through the same rigorous approval process and government-vetted clinical trials that pharmaceutical companies must complete before the Food and Drug Administration will allow them to make a prescription drug available for public consumption.

Because these drugs are not tested for safety or effectiveness, even if they worked no one could know the proper dosage to give. Some say homeopathic remedies at worst are placebos that merely waste the consumer's money, but many have proved harmful, even deadly. I don't have time to search, but just do a Google search for "homeopathic" and "safety" or using similar words. Here is a quote and a link to an article about lawsuits regarding Zicam.

Homeopathic medicine company fights off Zicam lawsuits
Consumers across the country have alleged in more than 400 lawsuits filed in courts and complaints logged with federal regulators that Zicam nasal gel, meant to relieve cold symptoms, has destroyed or diminished their sense of smell or taste.
Nfidel

Postby Karma Singh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 am

Hi everybody,
firstly, a few words about "placebo". This does NOT mean (as the pharmaceutical conglomerate would have you believe) that something does not work; it means that there is an unexpected, significant positive reaction which pharmaceutical medicine can neither explain nor in any way cope with other than by pretending that it didn't happen. This is the so called placebo effect - a medical cop out.

Much more important here, however, is the misinformation that "The Common Cold" is an illness; it is NOT!!!! A cold, along with very many of the conditions which we have been taught to call illnesses, is, in fact, a normal and perfectly natural detoxification process. We have been deliberately misinformed about this so that we can be sold thousands of tons of dangerous quackery each year by the pharmaceutical conglomerate. The long-term effects of suppressing this natural detoxification is leukaemia and lung cancer.

A cold is the natural discharge of both "yin" excesses (especially necessary at Winter's onset to conserve body heat) and sadness information. This is why you always feel warmer and happier after a cold. The real "cure" for a cold is to concentrate on the feeling of happiness - this greatly speeds up the process and a cold can be over within a few hours. When you have a cold, let a reeeeeeally broad smile light up your face and your eyes - let everyone else know that you're a warm, happy person. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Blessed be

Karma Singh
Karma Singh

Postby Liv » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm

I always thought it was a mutation of the rhino virus...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Serendipitous » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 pm

Karma Singh wrote:The real "cure" for a cold is to concentrate on the feeling of happiness - this greatly speeds up the process and a cold can be over within a few hours. When you have a cold, let a reeeeeeally broad smile light up your face and your eyes - let everyone else know that you're a warm, happy person.

I hate colds simply because I hate runny noses and having to blow my nose so often.

Y'know, concentrating on "happiness" can be achieved different ways. One could slightly alter the meaning of "blowjob".

:think:
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:52 pm

So much wrong, Where to start?

Karma Singh wrote:firstly, a few words about "placebo". This does NOT mean (as the pharmaceutical conglomerate would have you believe) that something does not work; it means that there is an unexpected, significant positive reaction which pharmaceutical medicine can neither explain nor in any way cope with other than by pretending that it didn't happen. This is the so called placebo effect - a medical cop out.
The pharmaceutical industry has studied and understands the placebo effect very well. That's why they must test their products to determine if there is any effect greater than the placebo effect. There is no justification for selling a product (that may have uninteded side effects) if it has no effect other than a placebo.

Karma Singh wrote:Much more important here, however, is the misinformation that "The Common Cold" is an illness; it is NOT!!!! A cold, along with very many of the conditions which we have been taught to call illnesses, is, in fact, a normal and perfectly natural detoxification process. We have been deliberately misinformed about this so that we can be sold thousands of tons of dangerous quackery each year by the pharmaceutical conglomerate. The long-term effects of suppressing this natural detoxification is leukaemia and lung cancer.
This is dangerous and silly mis-information. As Liv points out colds are due to various picornaviruses (which include rhinoviruses) or coronaviruses.

Karma Singh wrote:A cold is the natural discharge of both "yin" excesses (especially necessary at Winter's onset to conserve body heat) and sadness information. This is why you always feel warmer and happier after a cold. The real "cure" for a cold is to concentrate on the feeling of happiness - this greatly speeds up the process and a cold can be over within a few hours. When you have a cold, let a reeeeeeally broad smile light up your face and your eyes - let everyone else know that you're a warm, happy person. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
If you have a cold, please stay at home. Be happy enjoy your day off and dance around your abode, smiling and keeping your virus-laden, excess yin to yourself.
A Person

Postby Liv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 pm

I have strep as does the children according to Urgent Care today... What a wonderful time to be out of Amoxicillin too.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:56 pm

At least the ads for Zicam aren't as irritating as for that other wonder drug "Head-On" 8)
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:57 pm

So the Zicam didn't much help, I take it. :(
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Sanjuro » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:At least the ads for Zicam aren't as irritating as for that other wonder drug "Head-On" 8)

Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, Head-OnApplyDirectlyToTheForehead, :sad-roulette:
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby thesumofyourfears » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:36 pm

If you read the ingredients of the lozenges, there is some kind of zinc compound; zinc gluconate (??). Zinc is a natural element/mineral our bodies need and it helps maintain a healthy immune system. Heck, you can buy a bottle of zinc supplement tablets at a vitamin store and get the same if not better health benefits. I once had a severe case of plantar warts on my feet, a large cluster on the side of my foot and warts on my fingers and legs. I was in drugstore trying to find something to treat it. I saw a large sign in the vitamin section that listed all vitamins and minerals and what they do for your body. I saw zinc on the list; it said it helps build strong immune system. I bought a bottle of zinc supplements and the next day all my warts were turning black and blue. Apparently, I had a zinc deficiency in my diet. My dermatologist told me that the warts are a skin virus and they turning black and blue was a sign of the warts were clearing up. Sure enough, it took a fews weeks before my skin was completely clear. That bottle of zinc tablets was about $4 vs a few k$$ at dermatologist. Makes you wonder why didn't the dermatologist learn that in medical school? As far as a cold treatment, well, the zinc compound does what is naturally does, strengthens the immune system to fight the cold or any other mean ole virus. It works for me.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/FactSheets/Zinc.asp
thesumofyourfears
Freedom Lover

Postby A Person » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Zinc does have known anti-viral properties, so there is a mechanism for both colds and warts. Formulating it as zinc gluconate (a glucose sugar derivative) removes some of the bitterness associated with other zinc compounds e.g. zinc sulphate. Zicam is topical gel application of Zinc gluconate so it won't affect any virus inside you but might well reduce the virus population in your nasal passages. There have been lawsuits from people reporting a loss of smell after using Zicam and Zicam have made some big class action settlements.

Zinc is generally considered harmless, but you don't want too much. Calling it 'natural' is misleading. Arsenic, mercury and lead are natural too. Don't take it if you are also taking antibiotics
A Person

Postby Fecund Stench » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Get well soon, all of you.
Fecund Stench

Postby A Person » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Liv wrote:What a wonderful time to be out of Amoxicillin

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:So the Zicam didn't much help, I take it. :(

Don't take Zicam (or any zinc compound) with antibiotics. Zinc is an virus inhibitor, strep is a bacteria. Zinc also decreases the effectiveness of antibiotics.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Well the verdict was I have strep... so I had to overnight some Amoxil anyways... The verdict is still out...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Karma Singh » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 pm

Karma Singh wrote:Much more important here, however, is the misinformation that "The Common Cold" is an illness; it is NOT!!!! A cold, along with very many of the conditions which we have been taught to call illnesses, is, in fact, a normal and perfectly natural detoxification process. We have been deliberately misinformed about this so that we can be sold thousands of tons of dangerous quackery each year by the pharmaceutical conglomerate. The long-term effects of suppressing this natural detoxification is leukaemia and lung cancer.

This is dangerous and silly mis-information. As Liv points out colds are due to various picornaviruses (which include rhinoviruses) or coronaviruses.

Sorry Liv, etc. but believing a theory much loved by the pharmaceutical conglomerate but for which there is no trace of any supporting evidence (other than that manufactured by them) does not make them true nor does it get you any benefit either health or otherwise.

As we say in England, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." If you will actually use what I recommend (what have you got to lose?) you will find that this works and a cold can run its full course in a couple of hours. Quod Erat Demonstrantum, n'cest pas?

Blessed be

Karma Singh
Karma Singh

Postby virusguy28 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Karma Singh wrote:Hi everybody,
firstly, a few words about "placebo". This does NOT mean (as the pharmaceutical conglomerate would have you believe) that something does not work; it means that there is an unexpected, significant positive reaction which pharmaceutical medicine can neither explain nor in any way cope with other than by pretending that it didn't happen. This is the so called placebo effect - a medical cop out.

Much more important here, however, is the misinformation that "The Common Cold" is an illness; it is NOT!!!! A cold, along with very many of the conditions which we have been taught to call illnesses, is, in fact, a normal and perfectly natural detoxification process. We have been deliberately misinformed about this so that we can be sold thousands of tons of dangerous quackery each year by the pharmaceutical conglomerate. The long-term effects of suppressing this natural detoxification is leukaemia and lung cancer.

A cold is the natural discharge of both "yin" excesses (especially necessary at Winter's onset to conserve body heat) and sadness information. This is why you always feel warmer and happier after a cold. The real "cure" for a cold is to concentrate on the feeling of happiness - this greatly speeds up the process and a cold can be over within a few hours. When you have a cold, let a reeeeeeally broad smile light up your face and your eyes - let everyone else know that you're a warm, happy person. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Blessed be

Karma Singh

The common cold is caused by a rhinovirus, you freakin' quack. We can isolate them from infected individuals, see them with electron microscopes, reintroduce them into healthy individuals, whereby they cause disease. It's called Koch's Postulates...shut up and look it up.
virusguy28

Postby Angel Owner » Sat May 23, 2009 6:04 am

Zicam is a very dilute solution of Zinc (zincum gluconium). Acording to the Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database Zinc supplimentation may help reduce cold symptoms but there are a nearly equal number of studies show ineffectiveness as effectiveness, so it is a coin toss. I can give you no personal clinical experience in whether or not it may be helpful.
Angel Owner

Postby Questioner » Sat May 23, 2009 11:07 am

Liv wrote:Bought some stuff today after catching a mild cold. Took it and I feel a tad better, but is it placebo? I'm curious if anyone else takes it, and what their reaction is to this $13.00 cure to the common cold?

Without Zicam, the common cold will take 14 days to fully resolve. With Zicam, it will take only 2 weeks!

What a deal!
Questioner

Postby Questioner » Sat May 23, 2009 11:11 am

Liv wrote:I always thought it was a mutation of the rhino virus...

Oh gosh! And all along I thought viruses were infections. I'm so glad we have Singh to explain that viruses "cleanse" us. Of course, the fact that viruses invade cells and use our DNA to reproduce themselves, and sometimes manage to combine our DNA, the RNA of other viruses and their own reproductive processes to produce new, lethal viruses does give one a bit of a pause. But of course being "cleansed" is well worth dying for.

Sheesh. I haven't heard that much balderdash since my grandmother took me to a tent revival when I was 8.
Questioner

Postby mwooldri » Wed May 27, 2009 3:16 am

Best cure for a cold I know:

Buttered toast.
Tea (not US iced tea, UK tea - hot with milk and sugar for me).
A day off work.
Some Afrin and Breathe-Right strips so I can breathe...
Some good rib-ticking comedy on the TV.

Usually everything minus the Afrin and Breathe-Right strips can cure most of my malaise.

Zicam didn't work for me though.

Mark.
mwooldri

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Im sorry but KARMA SINGH is just WRONG. i

Postby before » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 am

Zicam does work - very well - if done correctly and in the right situation. The key is to start immediately, and it must be for a common cold, not a more complex virus such as influenza. I have had several successful experiences, as has each person in my family. Example: Eleven days ago I babysat my 2 year old granddaughter the day she came down with a nasty cold - a full day of her sneezing in my face. I knew it was going to be almost impossible to ward off. Three days later, at 3:30 in the afternoon, I wondered if I was dehydrated or getting a scratchy throat. Of course, I was coming down with the cold. As soon as I got home, one hour and fifteen minutes later, I started Zicam, and took as directed (dissolve on the tongue every three hours, even when I woke during the night.) Cold went on to have such extremely mild symptoms that I didn't even know when it was completed. No lung or sinus congestion, no coughing, no hoarseness -just so very mild. This weekend I am singing in a 3-night concert series. Voice is hitting the high notes as usual. No problem whatsoever. Incredible. My daughter is still fighting with the cold that she got from the same source.
It works. Must be taken correctly - must start immediately, and not quit too soon.
before

Return to Geekery