·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Child Anal Fixation or Arghhh, Ahoy there Matey!

by Liv | Published on July 14th, 2006, 5:17 pm | Life
So you send your 8 year old into scrub with his little pirate ship, a little Mr Bubbles, and a healthy rectum. A few days later your in the emergency room while you child is having the pirate ship mast removed from his bum.

Here's a picture of the pirate ship:

The parents mentioned that the child had insisted on being alone in the bathroom while he was playing with his pirate ship. After the fall the father had noticed that a piece of the mast was missing.

The patient was prepared for emergency surgery. The wound track contained the missing piece of the mast

The object was removed and a diverting open loop colostomy was performed.

Impalement dates from the middle ages when it was used as a mean of executing criminals by introducing a long, thin sharp pole through the anus.

The self-introduction of foreign bodies into the rectum is however, not rare, although fortunately this seldom results in a perforation. The most striking report noted in the literature of self induced rectal perforation involved a 50-year-old man who inserted a live eel in his rectum to relieve constipation. Unfortunately the eel ate its way through the rectum.

In this case the patient was experimenting with his toy ship and after slipping in the bathtub it perforated the rectum. Literature on the development of children does mention sexual experimentation at this age.4

I feel sorry for this kid... and the parents. If I were the dad I'd be crying right along side with him, just from the look of pain in the kid's face.
July 14th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Liv wrote:The most striking report noted in the literature of self induced rectal perforation involved a 50-year-old man who inserted a live eel in his rectum to relieve constipation. Unfortunately the eel ate its way through the rectum.

I just happened to go back and read this post tonight because of "Similar topics".... and had to google it:

eel_in_rear.jpg

the journal Surgery which describes a case report on a man who inserted a 50cm/20" eel into his back passage.

The 50-year old man was admitted to the Accident and Emergency Department at Kwong Wah Hospital in Kowloon, Hong Kong, suffering from abdominal pain.

Doctors seeing to the patient diagnosed peritonitis and did an x-ray to find out what was wrong. Oddly, the x-ray revealed the presence of a live eel in the man's rectum.

"On further questioning," says the paper, "the patient admitted an eel was inserted into the rectum in an attempt to relieve constipation.

"Emergency laparotomy found a 50cm eel biting the splenic flexure of the colon, and a 3cm perforation was found over the anterior wall of the rectum.

"Insertion of a live animal into the rectum causing rectal perforation has never been previously reported.

"This may be related to a bizarre healthcare belief, inadvertent sexual behaviour, or criminal assault. However, the true reason may never be known."

The patient went home after a, presumably rather embarrassing, week in hospital.
October 16th, 2009, 11:08 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Life