·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

To Grandma's House we go.

by Liv | Published on January 25th, 2009, 6:13 pm | Life
DSCF6602.JPG
It was a bit tough packing up from Grandma's house. After all, this would be the last time I'd get to see it. Lots of memories here, and it's going to be real tough when I know mom & my aunt sell the house to some one else. No one will love this house the way Grandma & Grandpa did. I got some last shots with the digital camera to remember it by:

DSCF6566.JPG

Grandpa's burial flag and little Naval figurines. I was also able to find a camera inside with film still in it. I'm going to get it developed. He also had a Interstate toy truck from his years of working for the company; I gave this to Chance.

DSCF6567.JPG

Grandma's house was the only house I even knew which had a shower with a window actually "in" the shower... The window use to be clear.... which always made it interesting.

DSCF6569.JPG

That mailbox looking door next to the toilet was Grandpa's engineered dirty laundry shoot which delivered your dirty clothes directly into the washer/dryer area in the basement when deposited through the little door.

DSCF6574.JPG

"The basement". We always use to play down here. It was "magical", and my cousin claimed this last weekend "It seemed so much bigger when we were kids".

DSCF6576.JPG

One of the best parts of the basement was the "closet" under the stairs. Perfect for hiding, pretending, etc. It helped that it had a second "secret" door here:

DSCF6577.JPG

DSCF6583.JPG

Then there was the up-stair stairs which were a bit steeper then modern building codes call for. You usually fell down them at least 3 times, head first, during your childhood. We also learned sliding down them on your butt was the safer, and often very entertaining method of preventing head injuries.

DSCF6584.JPG

This was my Uncle's room, and subsequently the room which I've always stayed in. It's got a built in bed sort of. We were offered to sleep in another room which was bigger this last time due to the kids, but I refused. It wasn't right if it wasn't this room.

DSCF6585.JPG

It also has "secret" doors as you can see in this picture of the closet, there's another door to the left which leads behind the bed. My uncle would drink and smoke in this "secret" room, and the evidence remained up there throughout my child-hood.

DSCF6591.JPG

The backyard.

DSCF6592.JPG

The garage.

DSCF6601.JPG

The street & Sidewalk. I've rode big-wheels, bicycles, skates, & driven down this road.

DSCF6614.JPG

See that table. This sucker weighs a ton, and hurts like hell when you crawl under it and throw your head up into the pegs dangling from the bottom.

DSCF6612.JPG

There's Shan with Sparky in the living room.

DSCF6563.JPG

Grandma's room.

Very touching Liv, it really hits home for me. Who amongst us has not been though that? Truly shows the heart clings on the details. Sorry the house will have to be sold. Take some solace in the fact that all new memories will be born of the new occupants which they will carry on.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
January 25th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

I'm just glad I've got stuff to remember it. So much stuff was going to be thrown out. The majority of my family seems less concerned with preserving family history then I do. I'm going to post some really cool stuff in the next few days, that I'm so lucky to have gotten. The house will always have a place in my heart, but I brought alot of it home too...
January 25th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I'm so glad to hear you got to keep some family items that have meaning to you. I hope they bring you some comfort as you look at them and bring back the memories of your gram and family. In years to come, they might be important to your kids too.

Great photos! the outside of the house looks a lot like my Illinois grandmother's house. I got to visit her every summer. She had a big patch of rasberry bushes and when I visited, we would pick some for breakfast every morning. That is still my favorite berry.
January 25th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Questioner

Return to Life