·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Somebody Give me a Job in Cardiff!

by Liv | Published on March 18th, 2009, 8:17 pm | Travel
DSCF6982.JPG

This is going to be the first of several posts of probably the most incredible weekend of my life. I acknowledge the concept I'm in lust rather than love, but then again this was my second trip to the U.K. If you were going to make a teeny-bob romance movie where incredible things happen while on vacation... I'd say the past few days we're as close as you're going to get in real life. From brushing shoulders we my heart-throb-crush John Barrowman, to visiting the BBC, to taking a rail trip across Britain, to partying down with several thousand other people in the world's biggest St. Patrick's day party I cannot convey how much fun I had. One of these things was going to Cardiff in Wales, land of my fore-fathers (and don't forget mothers too). The first time I laid my credit card down at The Red Dragon Center the cashier says "Jones"... I'm "Jones"... We're all "Jones".... It was like family.
DSCF6934.JPG

I'm not quite sure why my family left Wales, but the last few months I've been weighing the prospect of applying for jobs in Cardiff. I knew it was a long short to even get a reply, and since I had never been to that part of the U.K... It was an idea that I haven't given much serious thought to.... but after visiting.... I say give me a job... I loved the place. It's such a different feel then London. In London, I always feel out of place... I love London, don't get me wrong, it's just that Cardiff... well, the people are, well... a bit more like me.... James Marsters referred to it as a "Carny" atmosphere, and I agree. It's accepting, diverse, yet casual. Furthermore it reminded both me & Shan a lot of Ventura.
DSCF6939.JPG

Cardiff is somewhat small... (compared to London) and I believe is only about 320,000 people. We walked from the central train station to the castle, central Cardiff, and to the Millennium Center and Cardiff Bay all within about 20 minutes of each other.
DSCF6951.JPG

We of course spent much of our time outside of Torchwood 3, the Perception Filter stone, and several film sites for Dr Who. We got talking with a local Cardiffian who recommended Strada, a contemporary Italian restaurant which allowed us to sit out and watch the various activity in Cardiff Bay. Had a wonderful meal, and great wine which left us in this dreamy, tipsy state.
DSCF6990.JPG

It was at this point I had completely fell head over heels for Cardiff. The merry-go-round turning on the boardwalk. The children feeding the ducks, the families out spending time with one another. It was idyllic.

DSCF6932.JPG

I know Cardiff hasn't always been a vibrant cultured city. I'm aware of the "Clevelandish" reputation. I saw pictures of Cardiff during it's bustling port days with dirty warfs and fisheries. This Cardiff though is not that Cardiff. I've often warned Greensboro could become Detroit. Cardiff is what happens when a city positively re-invents itself. I'm glad I got to witness the outcome of it. A city that can start as one thing, and transition into a whole new thing... that's my kind of city.
DSCF6940.JPG

Now I just need a job. I'd move there in an instant.
DSCF6950.JPG

Web developer for exciting new company
Date posted: Wednesday 18th March
"Predicta is a cutting edge web and mobile gaming company that is
looking to hire an experienced Developer to take the lead on our
existing and future web activities. An interest in mobile development
would be a bonus.

The post involves building web-pages, amending existing sites, liasing
with our back-office technology providers, building apps for Facebook
etc.

Skills required:
* Ajax
* Unobtrusive Javascript - JQuery / Moo Tools / Prototype
* XHTML/CSS (without Dreamweaver!)
* Object Oriented PHP / MVC Web application development
* Flash development - AS3 preferred
* Experience with communicating with 3rd party APIs (XML/JSON)
* 'Design and build HTML UI for mobile clients (desirable, not
essential)

A love of sport would be helpful, but not essential. Awareness of
cutting edge web trends will be invaluable.

Salary is dependent upon experience."

More info from [email protected]
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
March 18th, 2009, 10:18 pm
A Person

You got any sort of jobs available for a quondam programmer and newbie QA geek in Hawaii? 8) :lol: :twisted:
March 19th, 2009, 6:32 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Great stuff Liv!
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
March 19th, 2009, 7:06 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Nice travel log Liv. I see you took a good looking model with you. :) I need to try that with my photography as it makes a more interesting photo. Anyway, many times I've wondered what the real Who-ville was like. Thanks for showing me.
March 19th, 2009, 9:23 am
Nfidel

IF I wanted to live in South Wales - and that's a big IF - Swansea is a nicer city. The Gower peninsula is one of the nicer places on earth, largely unspoilt beaches with little commercial development.
Excellent diving a bit further west too, just north of Milford Haven - which is an oil terminal so jobs are more available.
The Welsh Nationalists (Plaid Cymru) are not as active as they once were and don't torch the houses of non-natives anymore, but you will have to accept that your children would be taught an obsolete and (outside of Wales and Chubut Province, Argentina) useless language. But South Wales is a lot less nationalistic than the north. At one point I lived on the wrong side of the hill, facing Wales and suffered from only being able to receive TV and Radio in Welsh. These days with satellite TV it's not so much of an issue.
March 19th, 2009, 10:24 am
A Person

A Person wrote:IF I wanted to live in South Wales - and that's a big IF - Swansea is a nicer city.

It's just smurfy!!

smufy_swansea.jpg
June 10th, 2009, 8:32 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Travel