·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Yellowstone Super Volcano, when will it erupt?

by Liv | Published on August 17th, 2006, 10:15 pm | Travel
yellowstone eruption.jpg

When they tell you not to panic... that's when you run!

Yellowstone which technically sits on one of the largest super-volcanoes in the world is still active and erupts occasionally every so many thousands of years. In comparison to a normal Volcano, Yellowstone's super-volcano has incomprehensible force, estimated several thousand times stronger than the largest recorded eruption.

The park actually is the caldera of the volcano. The current caldera, or giant crater was formed 640 thousand years ago, and is so enormous that it was only first seen with the advent of satellite photos from space.

yellowstone super volcano eruption.gif

The Volcano generally erupts on average approximately every 600 thousand years, and has shown recent signs of an impending eruption.

Yellowstone is a place of consistent change. From Magical abundant forests, to cracked open desolation, frozen lakes, & boiling rivers. Enter this incredible park, and follow packs of wolves, bison, & bears.

A prehistoric earth-scape preserved in the state of Wyoming, Yellowstone offers an unparalleled look back into history. With snow covered mountains, steaming geysers, and 2 tons bears, it's a place to go that no other park in America can offer.

mount-vesuvius-eruption_11566_600x450.jpg
Some ancient Romans saw the A.D. 79 eruption of Mount Vesuvius (pictured: Pompeiians flee the city in an illustration), as a sign of a coming apocalypse.

Evidence of fossilized animals indicate the last eruptions effects over 1000 miles from Yellowstone. However most of the United States was buried under several feet of ash, and the skies over 3.4 of the world filled with poisonous sulfuric gas.

Scientist estimate Yellowstone has been active for over 10 million years, with 3 eruptions in the last 2,000,000 years.

Below Yellowstone flows a lake of hot volcanic magma, which is constantly gaining pressure against the earths mantle at Yellowstone Park. Eventually the pressure below Yellowstone will cause an explosion, releasing over one thousand cubic kilometers of molten lava, rock, ash & deadly gases miles into the air above Yellowstone.

Scientist have been measuring the recent rising of the north lake which has moved as much as meter in certain areas while moving into the near by surrounding woods. This along with multiple earthquakes indicate the impending events that are likely to take place soon.

When will it happen?

after yellowstone erupts.jpg

many folks don't realize that these are a great threat as a global killer that anything slamming into us from outer space.
August 18th, 2006, 5:22 am
Matt

Liv wrote:Scientist have been measuring the recent rising of the north lake which has moved as much as meter in certain areas while moving into the near by surrounding woods. This along with multiple earthquakes indicate the impending events that are likely to take place soon.

When will it happen?

I saw a show about this on some channel a month or so back. They said that recent measurements of the crust beneath Yellowstone indicate that the magma chamber down there is maybe 10% liquid. Until it gets about 70%, there's no danger of an eruption.

So it's safe to ignore it and go back to worrying about global warming, nuclear winter and killer asteroids. :wink:
August 18th, 2006, 12:33 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I just watched a movie about this in science and yes we have someting on our hands to worry about but honestly there is nothing we can do to stop this super volcano so why worry right now the biggest thing on our hands is the mount redoubt eruption that should be happening any time soon...dont worry about this supervolcano there isnt enough evidence. :)
January 30th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Melbourne Storm wrote:My bet is 2200 and just to let you know I think Australia will survive and most of Africa.

Someone has read "On the Beach" :)

Guest wrote:right now the biggest thing on our hands is the mount redoubt eruption that should be happening any time soon
Isn't it happening as we speak? But it's only a problem if you can see Russia from your house :P
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
January 30th, 2009, 11:07 pm
A Person

Guest wrote: I am really scared will there be time for us to flee!

No, you have all the notice you'll get. If it really bothers you then make plans to flee now.

Australia is your best bet (Read On the beach, by Neville Shute)

I was being a bit flippant, there would be some warning.

But if you haven't planned for it - where would you go and how would you get there?

February 24th, 2009, 10:36 pm
A Person

Guest wrote:I just watched a movie about this in science and yes we have someting on our hands to worry about but honestly there is nothing we can do to stop this super volcano so why worry right now the biggest thing on our hands is the mount redoubt eruption that should be happening any time soon...dont worry about this supervolcano there isnt enough evidence. :)

What do you mean we shouldn't worry about it. If it's going to erupt we probably should worry about it because it could kill us all. So give me a good reason why I shouldn't worry about me dying. Plus there is a lot of things we can do to prepare for this super eruption like by extra food maybe some gas masks make an underground shelter I mean these are all good ideas that we could be doing instead of waiting to die. I bet they can predict that it's going to erupt soon and there is enough evidence.
March 22nd, 2009, 1:38 pm

Guest wrote:If it's going to erupt we probably should worry about it because it could kill us all. So give me a good reason why I shouldn't worry about me dying.

Because regardless of worrying we all die. It will be the longest sleep you've ever taken, so why not stay up as late as you can now.... stop worrying and do what matters now.
March 23rd, 2009, 6:43 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Guest wrote:Plus there is a lot of things we can do to prepare for this super eruption like by extra food maybe some gas masks make an underground shelter I mean these are all good ideas that we could be doing instead of waiting to die. I bet they can predict that it's going to erupt soon and there is enough evidence.

We should continue to monitor it - indeed improve our monitoring (are you listening Bobby Numbnuts Jindal?) but it it does erupt, then an underground shelter or a gas mask isn't going to help. Having an evacuation plan with a package of food, water and other necessities ready to go so that you can get as far away as possible as quickly as you can is a much better idea.
March 24th, 2009, 10:57 am
A Person

Regarding Yellowstone, I seem to recall (maybe already mentioned in this thread... I haven't looked very deep into the past) a projection of the effects of a classic eruption from it. Apparently, here in North Carolina, we could get a pretty decent dose of fallout, even though we're so far away. Where we could evacuate to, I'd hesitate to try and imagine if heavy dust would get here in a day or so.
March 24th, 2009, 12:41 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
you know seriously....if yellow stone erupts in our time we all will have no where to hide bc all the gases in the atmosphere will eventually get us all. and if temps and all that are changing like they say then we really do have a problem that noone can do anything about. its a force of nature and mother natures way. i just feel sorry for all the vistiors who might be in the park with no warning!
Liv wrote:Yellowstone which technically sits on one of the largest Super-volcanoes in the world is still active and erupts occasionally every so many thousands of years. In comparison to a normal Volcano, Yellowstone's super-volcano has incomprehensible force, estimated several thousand times stronger then the largest recorded eruption.

The park actually is the caldera of the volcano. The current caldera, or giant crater was formed 640 thousand years ago, and is so enormous that it was only first seen with the advent of satellite photos from space.
pts on average approximately every 600 thousand years, and has shown recent signs of an impending eruption.

ote]Yellowstone is a place of consistent change. From Magical abundant forests, to cracked open desolation,
The Volcano generally erufrozen lakes, & boiling rivers. Enter this incredible park, and follow packs of wolves, bison, & bears.

A Prehistoric earth-scape preserved in the state of Wyoming, Yellowstone offers an unparalleled look back into history. With snow covered mountains, steaming geysers, and 2 tons bears, its a place to go that no other park in America can offer.

Evidence of fossilized animals indicate the last eruptions effects over 1000 miles from Yellowstone. However most of the United States was buried under several feet of ash, and the skies over 3.4 of the world filled with poisonous sulfuric gas.

Scientist estimate Yellowstone has been active for over 10 million years, with 3 eruptions in the last 2,000,000 years.

Below Yellowstone flows a lake of hot Volcanic Magma, which is constantly gaining pressure against the earths mantle at Yellowstone Park. Eventually the pressure below Yellowstone will cause an explosion, releasing over one thousand cubic kilometers of molten lava, rock, ash & deadly gases miles into the air above Yellowstone.

Scientist have been measuring the recent rising of the north lake which has moved as much as meter in certain areas while moving into the near by surrounding woods. This along with multiple earthquakes indicate the impending events that are likely to take place soon.

When will it happen?[/quote]
January 8th, 2010, 4:13 pm
hope

hope wrote:you know seriously....if yellow stone erupts in our time we all will have no where to hide bc all the gases in the atmosphere will eventually get us all. and if temps and all that are changing like they say then we really do have a problem that no one can do anything about. its a force of nature and mother natures way. i just feel sorry for all the visitors who might be in the park with no warning!

(replying to hope mostly)
:( you think that's bad?? try living within driving distance(60miles of land separates me from whats gonna be the biggest bang in history if it were to happen in my lifetime)of Yellowstone :shifty: I'm practically living next to a ticking time bomb =S who knows when its gonna explode, when it dose i sure as hell don't wanna be around to find out how bad things are gonna get. I don't even wanna imagine the pyroclastic flows/clouds coming at me of speeds up to... i don't know 100 mph? eh even then i might not even be that lucky if the blast is greater than that of 10,000 greater than mt. saint Helen's. the blast just might take care of me =S may not even realize it before its to late. Anyways I'm sure there'd be warnings and huge signs of it going off, to get out of the way of the blast. but as said many times, the blast may take care of the north western of the states, the ash will take care of the rest of the globe by putting it into a nuclear fallout, and also putting us into an ice age.

heh-i cant say i doubt its ever gonna happen because that'll be a lie when i know its gonna happen (hopeing not in my time) but eventually it will. kinda just hopeing nothing disturbs the sleeping beast in my back yard.

P.S-not sure if i wanna die from explosion or the after effects =S they both horrible ways to die~

P.S.S-i heard whacked up ideas such as relieving the pressure of the volcano itself, not sure were i heard it but i did. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!-the concept is as simple as if u shake up a can of soda and open it or perice it with something what normally happens is wells try it out and come back to me when you have that answer. Those of you who are still trying to figure out why I'm comparing a volcano explosive eruption or a super eruption to a can of soda being shaken up is because what makes it so violent is water mostly-what happens is water seeps into the ground into the magma chamber, heats up and turns into gas form to create the soda can effect, if your still having problems relating to this, highly doubt anyone would, but those of you who are having a brain fart, take a can shake it, and remember~most important step!!~hold it up to your face,and opens :dance: good luck :dance:

P.S.S.S- sorry for it being so long ^.^ and some of this is not based entirely on factual information. sooo try not to trouble me much with stuff i don't know, seriously i don't claim to know everything its just me opinion the matter and if you read through it this far i added some humor, least i tried to. ='{
March 5th, 2010, 2:57 am
that one unlucky dude living on the beast

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I just watched a movie about this in science and yes we have someting on our hands to worry about but honestly there is nothing we can do to stop this super volcano so why worry right now the biggest thing on our hands is the mount redoubt eruption that should be happening any time soon...dont worry about this supervolcano there isnt enough evidence. :)

What do you mean we shouldn't worry about it. If it's going to erupt we probably should worry about it because it could kill us all. So give me a good reason why I shouldn't worry about me dying. Plus there is a lot of things we can do to prepare for this super eruption like by extra food maybe some gas masks make an underground shelter I mean these are all good ideas that we could be doing instead of waiting to die. I bet they can predict that it's going to erupt soon and there is enough evidence.

Because worrying about it wouldn't stop it from erupting. And did you notice that mose super volcanoes ARE underground? And the gases are too strong for gas masks. Getting extra food is stupid. Okay if your going to worry go to Africa. kthnxbai
March 13th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Guest wrote:

Well, we're in a recession, making any preperations is a risk, a big risk. Our economy isn't that good at the moment (worldwide). And mate, how fast is the ground rising? isn't that fast isn't it!:]
March 14th, 2010, 5:06 am
Nick

Guest wrote:And did you notice that mose super volcanoes ARE underground?

By Jove I think you're right. Now if we can only get those pesky hurricanes underground too. :lol:

Nick wrote:And mate, how fast is the ground rising? isn't that fast isn't it!:]
How fast is too fast?
It's ben rising 7 cm (3") per year since 2004 which is over three times greater than has been observed since measurements started in 1923.
March 14th, 2010, 11:00 am
A Person

If this super volcano does erupt, ash will cover the whole of America, people will die from ash overload on their rooftops and be buried beneath their houses. Im more worried about the after effects tbh as i live in uk..
This is the eruption history they know of..
2.1 million years ago,

1.3 million years ago

... and 640 thousand years ago, so this cycle suggests another one is brewing.. sad times. Also you can hardly compare this to St.Helens.. a show about it said the The Pyroclastic surges from a super eruption at Yellowstone could extend up to 100 kilometres from the volcano and travel at the speed of sound, due to the sheer force..
ALSO
stratosphere in the atmosphere above the highest clouds that you can see and what happens is when an eruption occurs and that sulphuric acid gets into the stratosphere there aren't clouds or water there to actually bring it out, the problem
is that it can stay there for years and years.
The aerosols create a veil that deflects sunlight away from the earth causing temperatures to drop. How dramatic the drop depends on how much is released, and you know a hell of a lot will be realeased, as we know its a damn super volcano... :( The same thing happened in greenland 110 thousand years ago..

"While Yellowstone's geological history suggests that there will be another super eruption at some stage in the future scientists agree that the chances of it happening in our lifetime are extremely remote" Do we need to worry about this, so much..?

My personal opinion is I have great faith in humanity, I think f something like this did occur the nations of the planet would pull together because resources would be so limited that they would have to be shared so I would see this as an opportunity for humanity to show itself in it's true light.
April 15th, 2010, 7:29 am
No one important.

Some people don't seem to understand that once Yellowstone blows, we are all dead. A massive explosion like that will destroy the immediate area, and kill everybody else in the world with massive amounts of ash eventually.
April 21st, 2010, 6:08 pm

Guest wrote:

....an underground bunker, that's very clever. :lol:

A volcano is erupting, a super volcano at that, and you want to go on a shopping spree at your local grocery store, buy gas masks (your assuming there will be oxygen left?), and create an underground "bat cave" where you will surely be roasted like a pig.

I am one of the monitors of the NEO Project for NASA, we also get daily reports from the Yellowstone Geologist's and I can assure you all, this generation is perfectly safe... so don't go into wide spread panic just yet.

In the event Yellowstone does erupt, good luck with your plan batman... hope you have the batmobile handy!

-Beliel
April 23rd, 2010, 12:34 am
Beliel

Beliel wrote:I can assure you all, this generation is perfectly safe...

Oh well that's a relief :roll:

While you can indeed assure us, the question is how much value can we place on your assurance. While I agree it's a low probability, we have very little to compare against. Volcanoes are all unique, supervolcanoes are very rare and no one has observed one erupting - or at least not survived to provide details. The best we can say is:

USGS Massive caldera-forming eruptions, though the most potentially devastating of Yellowstone’s hazards, are extremely rare—only three have occurred in the past several million years. U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah, and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future. Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable.

The lack of evidence for something that is neither regular nor predictable is not evidence that it won't happen.

I agree an underground shelter is a poor survival choice. Your best option is to map out a route that takes you out of the plume zone and upwind as quickly as possible - and to be prepared to act quickly.
April 23rd, 2010, 10:31 am
A Person

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Beliel wrote:I am one of the monitors of the NEO Project for NASA, we also get daily reports from the Yellowstone Geologist's and I can assure you all, this generation is perfectly safe...

Well, as safe as it has ever been. I mean, there's never any guarantee that some asteroid won't come buzzing in from interstellar space and send us to the closet of paleontology next to T-Rex...

If your really that concerned about asteroids we at NEO (Near Earth Object Program)-NASA http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ update the site regularly. Just so your over-active imaginations have some reassurance, we know months before hand if an object is headed on a crash course for earth, how big it's mass is, and how to control the aftermath. A good example is the asteroid that hit Indonesia last fall on October 8th.
Here's a youtube broadcast of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQBzTkJNhs&videos=jkRJgbXY-90

The Earth has always been subject to impacts by comets and asteroids, although big hits are very rare. The last big impact was 65 million years ago, and that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Today NASA astronomers are carrying out a survey called the Spaceguard Survey to find any large near-Earth asteroids long before they hit. We have already determined that there are no threatening asteroids as large as the one that killed the dinosaurs. All this work is done openly with the discoveries posted every day on the NASA NEO Program Office website, so you can see for yourself that nothing is predicted to hit in 2012.

Nibiru and other stories about wayward planets are an Internet hoax. There is no factual basis for these claims. If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist. Eris is real, but it is a dwarf planet similar to Pluto that will remain in the outer solar system; the closest it can come to Earth is about 4 billion miles.

-Beliel
April 23rd, 2010, 2:24 pm
Beliel

I also think he is a tad optimistic.

Beliel wrote: Just so your over-active imaginations have some reassurance, we know months before hand if an object is headed on a crash course for earth, how big it's mass is, and how to control the aftermath.

Ummmm - just how do you 'control the aftermath' of a 5km dinosaur killer hitting the earth? Given a few months notice - what do we do?

I agree NASA NEO have done a tremendous job in the last decade mapping NEOs. But they are still discovering new objects at a steady rate suggesting that we (they) are not close to identifying all of them. While I agree that we would get some warning of a 5km dinosaur killer, smaller ones like the one that caused Kara-Kul, Tajikistan with a 45 kilometer crater would still spoil your summer - assuming you were not in the impact zone.
April 23rd, 2010, 5:23 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I also think he is a tad optimistic.

Beliel wrote: Just so your over-active imaginations have some reassurance, we know months before hand if an object is headed on a crash course for earth, how big it's mass is, and how to control the aftermath.

Ummmm - just how do you 'control the aftermath' of a 5km dinosaur killer hitting the earth? Given a few months notice - what do we do?

I agree NASA NEO have done a tremendous job in the last decade mapping NEOs. But they are still discovering new objects at a steady rate suggesting that we (they) are not close to identifying all of them. While I agree that we would get some warning of a 5km dinosaur killer, smaller ones like the one that caused Kara-Kul, Tajikistan with a 45 kilometer crater would still spoil your summer - assuming you were not in the impact zone.

I was referring to the smaller asteroids, comets, meteors. Not global killers. Sorry if I phrased that in some incomprehensible way. (No offense to you, I do it often... and try to explain things as layman as I can).

And if you would like a full debriefing on how to control a impact zone, let me know I can forward you a copy.

NASA, and NEO for that matter may not have ALL the answers, I was simply trying put a little backbone into opposite point of view, since there are people dedicating countless hours of their life trying to come up with solutions, but until there's a problem... it's hard to find the solution.

I'm only saying here, at this point in time there is no evidence of a threat, as a scientist I live my life by facts, evidence, and laws... not theories.

I can attest to seeing some very unsettling geology reports from YVO (Yellowstone Volcano Observatory), and since I don't work there there's not much information I can give on the subject. I only review the reports, but the geologists there haven't raised the safety code, as of 12:00 noon today the volcano alert level is normal & the aviation color code is green. Since the solar storms are not seeming to have much effect on the area... there's no need for NASA too look further into it. My only job is to observe and report so that a potential impact zone can be evacuated in time.

As for your "5km Dinosaur Killer" lol, we'll we haven't come up with anything that seems positively effective. However, there is a special sector that is doing some testing (no we will not be sending oil drillers to land on said asteroid, sorry Bruce Willis fans lol). My personal suggestion if we do encounter one.... stock up on alcohol.
;)

But, for anyone who is heart-bent on fearing what's to come, worry about the Europeans... the fallowing has been copied and pasted from a newsletter I got:

"The Atom Smasher"

Scientists in Europe have been building the world's largest particle accelerator. Basically its a 27km tunnel designed to smash atoms together to find out what makes the Universe tick. However, the mega-gadget has caused serious concern, with some scientists suggesting that it's probably even a bad idea to turn it on in the first place. They're predicting all manner of deadly results, including mini black holes. So when this machine is fired up for its first serious experiment in 2012, the world could be crushed into a super-dense blob the size of a basketball.

Now that is something to consider a threat in 2012!

-Beliel
April 23rd, 2010, 9:24 pm
Beliel

as a scientist I live my life by facts, evidence, and laws... not theories

I'd hope that, as a scientist, you'd have room in your life for a theory or two :lol:

Just to make it clear, I agree that we are talking about low risk events. However I do think you are being unjustifiably optimistic about being able to predict and control the aftermaths of these kind of events.

To take Yellowstone. Yes there is no evidence that an eruption is imminent. However your assurance that "this generation is perfectly safe" is not based on facts,evidence, laws or theory. We simply do not have the ability to make that kind of confident prediction that far ahead. "probably safe" - check, 'perfectly safe' - no.

With regard to impacts from space, you assure us that we will have 'months' to prepare and that we can 'control the aftermath'. This obviously depends on the size of the object. I'll agree that for large objects (>100m) we may get that kind of notice, but that any talk of 'controlling the aftermath' is wishful thinking.

For smaller objects - such as your example, the Indonesian asteroid at around 10m, we won't get months of warning. I certainly don't recall getting advance notice of it, the first anyone knew about it was the bang. (please correct me if I'm wrong - and point me to the NASA bulletin that announced spotting the rock on collision course in July or August.) We have no means of controlling the aftermath although we can plan some human activities to react to it.

As for the LHC, live feeds from webcams can be viewed here...
April 24th, 2010, 9:28 am
A Person

Liv wrote:
Beliel wrote:no we will not be sending oil drillers to land on said asteroid, sorry Bruce Willis fans lol

DAMN YOU NASA!!!

Can you at least send Ben Afleck to my house then?

Yeah sure, I'll get right on that! :D

A Person wrote:I'd hope that, as a scientist, you'd have room in your life for a theory or two :lol:

Obviously I meant the other kind of "theories", prophecies, myths, legends, etc.

A Person wrote:
To take Yellowstone. Yes there is no evidence that an eruption is imminent. However your assurance that "this generation is perfectly safe" is not based on facts,evidence, laws or theory. We simply do not have the ability to make that kind of confident prediction that far ahead. "probably safe" - check, 'perfectly safe' - no.

Ok, you will most likely be safe, as will your grandchildren (if that assumption isn't a shot in the dark I don't know what is ;) )... beyond that I can not say with any certainty.

And yes my prediction was based on facts and evidence... I'm one of the many people who see those YVO reports, Yellowstone has waves of instability, and at the moment the pattern has not strayed far from it's history.

It is imminent, Yellowstone will erupt, I am not a genie, Jesus, or Nostradamus so honestly I couldn't tell you exactly when but based on the EVIDENCE... it doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

A Person wrote:With regard to impacts from space, you assure us that we will have 'months' to prepare and that we can 'control the aftermath'. This obviously depends on the size of the object. I'll agree that for large objects (>100m) we may get that kind of notice, but that any talk of 'controlling the aftermath' is wishful thinking.

I don't know how many times one must repeat themselves, I've already stated I was referring to the smaller asteroids, comets, and meteors. There is no set plan of action to handle anything larger, like I said get a gallon of vodka and relax, enjoy the fireworks :violin:

A Person wrote:For smaller objects - such as your example, the Indonesian asteroid at around 10m, we won't get months of warning. I certainly don't recall getting advance notice of it, the first anyone knew about it was the bang. (please correct me if I'm wrong - and point me to the NASA bulletin that announced spotting the rock on collision course in July or August.) We have no means of controlling the aftermath although we can plan some human activities to react to it.

As for the LHC, live feeds from webcams can be viewed here...

Well if your going to bring Indonesia back into this, that atmospheric impact was foreseen, however... it wasn't large enough to make ground impact.... :) Therefore, there was no reason to raise an alarm and send order into chaos, The Indonesian govt. was warned... and not by NASA, however their govt. chose not to tell their own people (not my problem), it would have caused wide spread panic, for something that held no threat... no one was injured and the asteroid disintegrated in the atmosphere. Read the article again. :mrgreen:
However... if you look deeper into the NEO Program website, you will see it, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your a fairly intelligent person... find it yourself I'm not your tour guide.

If you think you can do this job better than me... please let me know, I'd love another vacation. :dance:

A Person wrote:Hey I'm not saying NASA is doing a bad job, just that "we know months before hand if an object is headed on a crash course for earth, how big it's mass is, and how to control the aftermath." is a gross exaggeration. We don't know months before hand, we may not know until a day or two - or only when it passes - or hits.

The Indonesian asteroid is your example, in that case no one knew beforehand when and where it would hit - "Scientists are concerned that it was not spotted by any telescopes, and that had it been larger it could have caused a disaster" Link

Asteroid 2009 VA was discovered by the Catalina Sky Survey about 15 hours before the close approach
Asteroid 2010 GA6 - 2 days notice
Asteroid 2010 AL30- 3 days notice
Asteroid 2008 TC3- 1 days notice "this case was unprecedented because the asteroid was actually discovered the day before it reached the Earth and the impact location and time were for the first time predicted in advance."

So keep up the good work, let's work to getting more funding so that we stand a chance of actually getting enough notice - and have the ability - to do somethng about it.

The Indonesia example was brought up by myself but you twisted what I said slightly.

I don't understand how my educated "prediction" was a gross exaggeration though, any major (above 25km mass) asteroid, meteor, comet, would be known months before hand, we would have been tracking anything that could be considered a global killer for decades, smaller asteroids are harder to determine but, we are well aware of them in a decent amount of time before they breach our atmosphere.... what other governments do with the information is their business.

Just trying to reassure the public they are safe, at this point in time. ]

More funding would be extremely beneficial to NASA and geologists at YVO, but sadly everyone is more focused on global warming, which too is highly sensitive topic to discuss, there is always 3 sides. positive, nuetral, negative. This argument will get no where. Lol, no one is destined to win this battle. :mrgreen: But, try as we may.

Your intellect and opinions are respected.

p.s. that "live webcam" link.... very humorous! :clap:
-Beliel
April 24th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Beliel

I And Wow, I am glad to know that I am not Alone in having an overactive imagination which leads to me worrying about the threat of an ELE. In all honesty I say the guys and gals of NASA are doing grat work with what they have to work with. But to be honest its like this: we will NEVER be 100% sure when this planet will pass out of existence, only that it will indeed happen because it is the natural order of things. Everything that lives dies, there is no stopping that no matter how much I personally would love to find a way. I also think that Tesla's work would be very benneficial to stopping stray comets or asteroids from striking if he had been allowed to finish his work and be supported by the government.
At any rate I say this, if its not one event which we worry will end us its another. Could be today, could be tomorrow, could be whenever. Though I still worry about these events because I am a loser who cannot tell himself otherwise I say to those of you like me: on DDay we all find each other, and the first round is on me :lol: and at that time laws won't matter so a ton of pot too :twisted: I don't want to feel it lol.
June 4th, 2010, 3:17 pm
Gizmo Busser

Return to Travel