·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

A Vacation to make you a better person

by Liv | Published on January 26th, 2010, 12:04 pm | Travel
shangri-la.jpg

As I mentioned previously, it's about that time of year I get real itchy to go somewhere, anywhere. This year however, money is so tight I don't know if I can, even if I want to. That said, I've noticed that my behavior when thinking about vacation is rather different than most individuals I know. Most people go on to vacation to relax, and enjoy it... and while I do too, one rather fundamental difference I find myself asking when trying to determine where to go, is will this vacation build my character? Will I be a better person for it. I suppose the argument can be made that you're better for any travel, but I want more than that. I want epiphany. I want my mind, body, and soul, blown.

Back down to earth now, I already know I've become a better person for visiting Europe, Mexico, Canada, and the Bahamas. I was dumbfounded on my first cross country trip 15 years ago, stood humbled on the rim of the Grand Canyon. In awe in Yellowstone, and felt harmony in the Redwoods of California. I cried when the World Trade Center fell, because I once stood where they once were, and I discovered myself on a coastline in Wales. The question is what's next?

My favorite thing to ask people, especially those whom are wiser and more traveled is "If you had to pick one place for me to travel which would make me a better person, where would it be?" Usually people suggest things that are near and dear to their heart, places they've been, things they've seen. From Vegas to Jamaica, I believe we all eventually develop some level of our own Shangri 'La. So where's yours? If you had the opportunity to share one place you've visited with everyone you know, a place which has impacted your life, where would it be?

One place? I'd say Maui.

Not only is the place stunningly beautiful, but the people are -- odd. I'm talking about those who live there full time. From the native Hawaiians who agitate for independence, to the surfer dudes who stay along the beaches, to the scuba bums and simply rural Americans who happen to live a few miles from EVERYTHING in their world... Maui is a terrific study in humanity.

And of course, there's the history of the place. I love that as well. Hana was a regional center of government/religion. Lahaina had a palace for the king when the islands were united. The central plain was home to a huge sugar industry, which attracted foreign workers from around the Pacific Rim.
January 26th, 2010, 1:28 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
How about a trip to Louisville to see the creation museum? 8)
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
January 26th, 2010, 2:29 pm
BecauseHeLives

Funny, I read that as "A Vatican to make you a better person"

As useful as the creation museum but with art, architecture and Italian food.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
January 26th, 2010, 4:40 pm
A Person

We were talking about Hawaii the other day. Flights are relatively cheap to there right now, though not sure why. Shan has family out there, but not sure where... though I'm not sure how they'd feel if the lesbians of the family came to visit...

I've really thought about going to the Vatican to be honest. Would be a fun visit.

As far as KY, don't have really interest much of all to be honest.
January 26th, 2010, 4:55 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

But then you'll miss the exciting bit where Eve eats the fruit, discovers wieners and Adam offers up as many ribs as he's got.

creationmuseumAdamEve.jpg
That's not the snake Eve.

A remarkably Caucasian (cracker, honky) Adam and Eve, considering the location of Eden.
January 26th, 2010, 5:02 pm
A Person

Yeah... I think I'll survive. I'm not saying I wouldn't go if I was in town for something else just for the hell of it.... but definitely wouldn't consider it a life changing destination.
January 26th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Liv

There's very little in a monument celebrating deliberate ignorance I'd care to pay to see

The website is painful enough
January 26th, 2010, 5:13 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Funny, I read that as "A Vatican to make you a better person"

:lol:

I occasionally will misread things in this manner -- whe it happens, it makes me think it's time to disengage from talking religion on-line for a few days.... decompress, you know.
January 27th, 2010, 4:20 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Liv wrote:We were talking about Hawaii the other day. Flights are relatively cheap to there right now, though not sure why.

I expect the travel is lower cost because it's the high season there. Airlines have zero problem filling every plane they can pour into the area. The real problm is housing once you get there. Sort of a minefield, in most places I've been. B&Bs are good places to look for good places to stay, but you'd have to book very early.
January 27th, 2010, 4:23 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I really, really, really want Egypt.... but... the flights are very expensive and AA doesn't fly there....
January 27th, 2010, 9:05 am
Liv

Liv wrote:I really, really, really want Egypt.... but... the flights are very expensive and AA doesn't fly there....

Myself, I'd avoid anywhere that is inhabited by religious extremists in such numbers as the Middle East or Northern Africa. Photos will do nicely, thanx.
January 27th, 2010, 9:26 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

I doubt we'd have much of an issue in Cairo... it's a fairly modern city... and I'm told the people are super nice.

I did just pull up a great deal to Copenhagen after they showed it on PBS....
January 27th, 2010, 12:50 pm
Liv

The expense with Copenhagen is not geting there - it's sleeping, eating and drinking once you are there. It's not as expensive as Tokyo or Moscow but there are few bargains. $30 for a cheeseburger, $7 for a coke, $15 for a beer.
January 27th, 2010, 1:17 pm
A Person

I avoided Cairo with all it's traffic and hassle and spent a fantastic week in Luxor exploring Temples and the Valley of the Kings. I did miss not seeing the pyramids and the King Tut mask, but feel that I can deal with that
January 28th, 2010, 5:34 pm
smiler125

Back to the original question

Liv wrote: If you had the opportunity to share one place you've visited with everyone you know, a place which has impacted your life, where would it be?

For me it was Turkey but I would say almost any country where you can spend time immersed in the local community. It provides a perspective on other cultures that a quick fortnight as a tourist never can. It's something I think every young adult should do through the Peace Corps, VSO or other volunteer group as a wanderjahr or gap year. It's far more common in Europe and Australia than the US, largely because of the high cost of education.

Unfortunately once you get married and start a family it's very difficult.
January 28th, 2010, 5:52 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:Back to the original question

Liv wrote: If you had the opportunity to share one place you've visited with everyone you know, a place which has impacted your life, where would it be?

For me it was Turkey but I would say almost any country where you can spend time immersed in the local community. It provides a perspective on other cultures that a quick fortnight as a tourist never can. It's something I think every young adult should do through the Peace Corps, VSO or other volunteer group as a wanderjahr or gap year. It's far more common in Europe and Australia than the US, largely because of the high cost of education.

Heh. Just pack up the family and drag them along. Kids get huge benefits from having to learn a second language anyway. :dance:
January 29th, 2010, 6:26 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

A Person wrote: For me it was Turkey but I would say almost any country where you can spend time immersed in the local community. It provides a perspective on other cultures that a quick fortnight as a tourist never can. It's something I think every young adult should do through the Peace Corps, VSO or other volunteer group as a wanderjahr or gap year. It's far more common in Europe and Australia than the US, largely because of the high cost of education.

Yeah, I wish when I was younger I had a clearer picture of what was available to me.... I will definitely encourage my children to consider those options.

So any particular part of Turkey?
January 29th, 2010, 8:29 am
Liv

Liv wrote:So any particular part of Turkey?

Anywhere clear of Kurds?
January 29th, 2010, 11:10 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

The bit I went to was on the Black Sea coast, a coal mining region. My experience was that although Istanbul, (Constantinople, Byzantium) was a wonderful place to visit with the architecture and history, it wasn't until we got off the tourist track that we really felt welcome. Our reception in the small towns, the warmth and hospitality of the people was a huge contrast to the big cities where we were merely tolerated and seen as a source of income. I'm glad I've seen the Sultan Ahmed Mosque and the Hagia Sophia but it's not what I remember most. It's like seeing the Tower of London or Stonehenge, worth doing, but it's not the 'real England' or in your case the 'real Cardiff'.
January 29th, 2010, 12:15 pm
A Person

We were talking about a similar meme the other day... (meme... ha?!) On how we don't like to travel during tourist season, or in general doing touristy things.... If I'm going to go somewhere I want to experience the real side to things. In face there's a line in the Dutchess of Bloomsbury street where she talks about Americans whom come to London and spend a week inside a 5 star hotel with a bottle of scotch to afraid to ever leave....

I'm glad we did public transportation, ate on the go at street vendors, and so on.... While we did do a lot of touristy things the first time, the second time was almost void of it.... but it's never enough...
January 29th, 2010, 4:15 pm
Liv

crash_landing_ad.jpg
February 6th, 2010, 6:23 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:We were talking about a similar meme the other day... (meme... ha?!) On how we don't like to travel during tourist season, or in general doing touristy things.... If I'm going to go somewhere I want to experience the real side to things. In face there's a line in the Dutchess of Bloomsbury street where she talks about Americans whom come to London and spend a week inside a 5 star hotel with a bottle of scotch to afraid to ever leave....

I'm glad we did public transportation, ate on the go at street vendors, and so on.... While we did do a lot of touristy things the first time, the second time was almost void of it.... but it's never enough...

On one's first visit anywhere, it doesn't hurt much to do "touristy" stuff, within reason. You go to London, and you hit the highlights... Tower of London, British Museum, Trafalgar, Buckingham, etc. But you do yourself a disservice if you don't try to get the hang of things. That's why I'm glad my first visits to London and Paris were with local relatives. They lived in "normal" areas, and knew the best places to take visitors, as well as the best times.

That being said... on my first trip to Hawaii, I managed to get accommodations with the operator of the dive shop my son and I were going to use. So we had to drive far out from Honolulu, off to the windward side of the island. We found neighborhoods where Aboriginal Hawaiians lived as well as the more affluent business classes. And we shopped at a local grocery store (will NEVER forget seeing $6 milk and shrimp chips), and got a very good idea what day-to-day life is like there. We hit the main tourist stuff, and a few oddities like the Mormon-run Polynesian Cultural Center and the Dole Plantation.

Sure, we went looking in at Hilo Hattie like any good tourist... but only to gawk at the people buying the cheap rubbish. :mrgreen:
February 8th, 2010, 10:51 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

If I'd go Hawaii, the only reason would be to visit all the LOST filming spots.
February 8th, 2010, 12:58 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:If I'd go Hawaii, the only reason would be to visit all the LOST filming spots.

Really? There are a LOT of great treasures to pick up other than just scenery. One of my favorites is the Bishop Museum Or Pearl Harbor. Cold, windswept volcano rims are terrific of course... and there are a couple of wineries that I always try to visit as well. Definitely worth at least one visit if you can manage it.

And then there's the aquariums. Lots of world-class aquariums for some reason. :twisted:
February 8th, 2010, 2:06 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to Travel