·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

A Vacation to make you a better person

by A Person | Published on February 8th, 2010, 2:18 pm | Travel
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:will NEVER forget seeing $6 milk

hawaii-milk.jpg
Why milk costs $6 in Hawaii

Yeah... supply and demand fer shure. And it's really sort of weird to see cattle there. One night my wife and I went to the rim of Haleakala for a stargazing outing. On the road up the mountain, we went through a farm with cattle, so there were cattle crossing signs along the road. At one point, we came around a curve and saw the road blocked by a group of about 20 cows in the process of crossing. No human were in sight, so I pulled to a stop, expecting to have to wait until the last critter had passed.

One cow came to a halt at the side of the road and the ones behind her stopped as well. They all looked at me, waiting for me to pass so they could get on with their business. I drove on and glanced in the rear view mirror to see them resuming their walk.

I'm not a country boy, much... I gotta say, I would not have expected that sort of behavior.
February 8th, 2010, 2:56 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Liv wrote:If I'd go Hawaii, the only reason would be to visit all the LOST filming spots.

Really? There are a LOT of great treasures to pick up other than just scenery.

Well I'd go play with some Volcanoes too.... but Lost appeals to me more. Maybe if I can go walking into lava tubes or something....
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
February 9th, 2010, 10:32 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:Well I'd go play with some Volcanoes too.... but Lost appeals to me more. Maybe if I can go walking into lava tubes or something....

Ah lava tubes... one of my few disappointments with my prior vacations there. On our first trip, my son and I had arranged for a dive trip to the north shore of Oahu to do some diving in lava tubes there. GREAT place for underwater life, they told us. We go out on the water, and the boat's captain said tat the swell was too large for them to handle at the tubes. So they took us to a calm spot in the bay to dive on a sunken Piper airplane. Which was cool, I guess. Got to play with some wild lobsters. But still.....
:?
February 9th, 2010, 11:47 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Got to play with some wild lobsters. But still.....

dontplaywithyourfood.jpg
Don't play with your food!
dontplaywithyourfood.jpg (8.97 KiB) Viewed 79 times
February 9th, 2010, 2:48 pm
A Person

That is, of course, a problem I face on many dives. I dive to find interesting critters to watch and potentially play with. Others dive to catch for eating. I couldn't bear to do that myself. I know... I'm a wuss. But there you have it.
February 9th, 2010, 2:57 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I was the eating kind. Don't get me wrong the scenery and experience was the primary reason, but the chance to battle the local crustacea, squalidae and molluscs on their home turf added the extra spice. In some places the fishermen made a huge fuss if any one other than them caught a lobster so it was a good idea to be discrete. The smart fishermen rented themselves and their boats out and took us to the good spots.
February 9th, 2010, 4:48 pm
A Person

I was thinking about getting Shannon a Lobstergram till I realized she probably wouldn't be able to cook a live lobster, and we'd end up with another pet.
February 10th, 2010, 11:25 am
Liv

Liv wrote:I was thinking about getting Shannon a Lobstergram till I realized she probably wouldn't be able to cook a live lobster, and we'd end up with another pet.

I expect lobsters make OK pets, but the upkeep would be rather difficult. Especially when pesky, nosy neighbors are always dropping by to try and fool you into giving your pet into their care while in fact having a pot of boiling water and lots of melted butter waiting in the back of their van.
:twisted:
February 10th, 2010, 11:30 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Most supermarkets will steam the lobster for you. If you get the trimmings ready, phone the supermarket and get them to start the lobster and you can pop in, pick it up and it will be hot on your plate at home.

That's what I did for my son's birthday when he was at university. I was staying in a hotel so I went to the supermarket, got them to cook half a dozen lobsters and while they were cooking got all the salads, trimmings and wine. We then met up on the beach with a bunch of his friends and had a lobster party.

It beats fish and chips - and surprisingly costs about the same.
February 10th, 2010, 11:40 am
A Person

Shan says her store doesn't.... wonder if Harris Teeter does.
February 10th, 2010, 11:44 am
Liv

Strange, all the one's here that sell live lobsters do. (no charge either)
February 10th, 2010, 11:49 am
A Person

A Person wrote:Strange, all the one's here that sell live lobsters do. (no charge either)

Well, there's the problem. I haven't seen a store in this area that have live lobsters for a few years now. I guess the market is rather limited.
February 10th, 2010, 12:23 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to Travel