·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Airline Travel, Then & Now

by Liv | Published on March 29th, 2010, 9:48 am | Travel

Amazing to watch this video from American Airlines (Airways) from the 1930s since I'm boarding their modern doppelganger on Wednesday. It appears much has changed from the good ole days:

Then:
"All seats are first class, All passengers are first class" - As a chubby passenger sits down

Now:
    The skinny passengers toss the fatty off the plane demanding him to buy an extra seat.

Then:
An American Airways limo transports you to the airport.

Now:
    Am I going to make my plane? Did I put gas in the car? Is the tire flat?

Then:
"Our interiors are cozy inviting living rooms"

Now:
    Our seats were designed after the Iron Maiden in Display at the Tower's torture dungeon.

Then:
"Complimentary cigars allow you to blow smoke rings as the world flies by below"

Now:
    Everyone thinks you're the shoe bomber and tackles you.

From the beginning of time, man has been the master of his own journey, he chooses the road by which he goes. He steps ahead or he steps aside. Here’s the man who steps ahead. The kind of man who gets things done. He knows where he’s going and how to get there — The American Airways way. hat-tip

It does seem so romantic. "He steps ahead or steps aside" as a mantra plays on the mind of those who want to be better than everyone else. Not sure how that would work today. I really do enjoy American though today. They've tried to maintain as much of the enjoyment in flying as possible, even if it is just a "friendly smile" in the "romance of modern business."

LOL!

A little while ago, I purchased a Rifftrax short called "Flying Stewardess" from (I'm guessing) the late 40's or early 50's. The scenes that describe the duties expected of the plane stewardess were unbelievable by today's standards: Greeting each passenger by name, serving them dinners on real plates... turning their seats into beds with privacy curtains for overnight flights. Boggles the mind.

Of course, flying was certainly more of a rich man's luxury in those days. The $300 that was charged then to get you across the country was a month or more of wages for the average man back then. If I was to pay a month of my paychecks to get on a plane these days, I"d be expecting a lot more than any airline I know of could come close to providing.
March 29th, 2010, 11:16 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
But here's the thing, you expect mechanical and technological advances to have provided even better or equivalent luxuries at less cost nearly 100 years later. Take a look at the Iphone. 3 years ago it was $500, now you can get a knock off for practically free.

Something went wrong in all this. Is it infrastructure, lack of innovation, or what?

I know fuel is expensive, but they saved millions of dollars by simply eliminating magazines from flights....

I think what we need is a re-work of the industry.

How about a conveyor belt mag-lev system to toss planes in the air?

What about better flight plans. Our flight from RDU to LHR hugs the landmasses. I imagine this is done in case of emergency, but I'd gladly accept the additional risk for a slightly more comfortable aircraft at less fuel cost to the airlines.
March 29th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

There are many company reduces the rates of air tickets with all facilities,we can take a benefit of this services in lowest rates,there are many flights from Tampa to Dallas and Dallas to Japan were on time,the 13-hour flight to Japan was pleasant,Flight attendants were very friendly and helpful,there are also provide special food for vegetarian.
March 31st, 2010, 1:53 am
jsmthjsmith83

Liv wrote:What about better flight plans. Our flight from RDU to LHR hugs the landmasses. I imagine this is done in case of emergency, but I'd gladly accept the additional risk for a slightly more comfortable aircraft at less fuel cost to the airlines.

Geometry Liv, nothing to do with emergencies.

Aircraft follow the shortest route to conserve fuel and the shortest route is a great circle. If you take a globe and stretch a rubber band between RDU and LHR (or make a track on Google Earth) you will see why it goes that way - and when fuel capacity was limited why Gander Newfoundland was the refuelling stop on trans-atlantic flights

GreatCircle.jpg
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
March 31st, 2010, 10:05 am
A Person

Return to Travel