·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Norris Dam State Park, Tennessee

by Liv | Published on March 22nd, 2006, 10:08 pm | Travel

Good old Norris Dam. It's been over 20 years since I've set foot on her massive concrete walls. Built by the TVA (the Tennessee valley authority) in the 30's, it help bring jobs to thousands of unemployed following the stock market crash.

The most interesting thing about Norris dam is the city that is actually below the water behind the dam. When I was little and we would come to the park and vacation, they used to show a film that actually showed the town, and the filling of the dam. It was quite a sight. I was hoping they might have it on DVD when we visited the ranger station but, nope. Anyhow. this is still a magnificent sight, and thought of how, many peoples lives, were changed by this dam, and that still below the murky blue water sits homes, yards, trees, and maybe even cars, furniture and the remnants of peoples lives, preserved in time. Norris Dam is a beautiful example of spirit and perseverance of mankind.

Over 20 years ago, me and my parents used to drive down from where we lived in Ohio each summer to vacation in the Smokey Mountains. We'd attach our blue pop-up camper to my dad's brown 77 Nova and drive down to Norris Dam State Park, here in Tennessee. One of the thrills of being poor and camping was the playground. The playground at Norris is notorious, historical, and more importantly legendary as far as playgrounds go. The playground was built before lawsuits, and safety measures. Back in those days if a kid fell 18 feet, hitting her head on solid iron ore bars, then she was expected to get her butt up off of the jagged stones and get back up and play.

So you can imagine my surprise when we drove over to Norris Dam today and the playground of death was still there! Unbelievable as it was, when I caught sight of old woody, I was in disbelief. If you ever get to go back a re-live your child hood places, it's quite a feeling. The van was barely park, when I flung open the door, pushed my son out of the way and ran like crazy to the metal bars that lead into the belly of the beast. It all started coming back to me. I knew exactly how to get to the top, I remembered how we used to push out the top boards on the roof of the playground so we could climb on top. Did we have no fear? While this time the fit was a bit more snug, and I easily got out of breath, it was by all means, one hell of a mental trip.

March 22nd, 2006, 10:18 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

See this picture. This used to be an Olympic sized swimming pool. More importantly it is where I learned how to swim. All that concrete? That's where the pool used to be. That grass? Used to all be pool people. This pool used to be huge! Don't get me wrong, this picture doesn't due the current pool justice. It's still big, but the old pool, Gigantic.

So what happened? I was nearly in tears when I realized the place of my child hood, was filled in and paved over here at Norris Dam state park.

We asked the park ranger who informed us, that several years ago everyone arrived at work to find the pool empty and a large hole in the pool leading into a cave. If you could comprehend the size of this pool, you'd realize this must have been something to see. The old pool literally was a football field long in size.

So the odd part is, for all those years of swimming and playing in the Tennessee sun, I was technically swimming over a dangerous cave that at any moment could have gave way and sucked me into the sub-terrain of the Norris Dam State Park. Weird huh?
March 22nd, 2006, 10:45 pm
Liv

Remember a few days ago when I posted this? I tried to find an original picture of the pool to give you some sort of size comparison, but wasn't able to find any. I'm sure I have some old photos laying around. But Anyways I found this picture...

This is the sink hole that was being repaired in the middle of the swimming pool. Can you just imagine coming to work, and finding that in your pool?
March 24th, 2006, 10:22 am
Liv

That playground is still there? Im a bit younger than you but I still assumed it would have gone the way of the dinosaur by now. Though it does seem to have been "scaled back" some from its former glory.
February 26th, 2010, 12:47 am
Travis

Travis wrote:That playground is still there? Im a bit younger than you but I still assumed it would have gone the way of the dinosaur by now. Though it does seem to have been "scaled back" some from its former glory.

I know right? Totally nostalgic!!!
February 26th, 2010, 8:13 am
Liv

Return to Travel