·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Permanent Tuscany Italy Vacation

by Liv | Published on November 25th, 2007, 1:09 pm | Travel
under_the_tuscan_sun.jpg
Every so often, I change the name of the blog on the front page. I have several types of readers on the blog, some of which who don't wish to be apart of the dialogue which is posted in public, so they respond via email. I've received numerous emails about what La Dolce Vida means. So I figured I'd explain.

Shannon decided to rent, Under the Tuscan Sun a few nights ago. Neither of us had seen it before, but we both loved it. It's a chick flick, sure, but it's a bit more for me. I'm a bit of a gypsy as my parents say. I love the exploring the culture of the off and remote, and get claustrophobic if I'm not travelling around and seeing new things. Therefore the premise of the movie, a woman who takes off from America and leaves her old life behind to live in Tuscany Italy, is slightly appealing to me. I'm not saying I wish I was divorced, and heart broken, but I'd love to grab my kids and partner and try out some shockingly different life.

I don't think I'm alone. I think this appeals to most women. (probably many men too) It's that romantic adventure. Of course if you were going to write it into a quasi-true/fictional movie it would definitely be in Tuscany. It's one of the most unbelievable places on earth, and is constantly being used in films and movies.

So to elaborate, Under The Tuscan Sun involves a Writer who finds her husband has been cheating on her, and on a whim replaces her best friend on a tour group in Tuscany just to get over, & forget about him. She See's a villa for-sale. She See's it as a sign, and buys it. The rest of the movie is about her finding herself, several love interests, and her best-friend showing up. You'll be crying, smiling and laughing throughout the movie. Men might find this movie irritating because so.

The mantra of the movie is this: Life offers you a thousand chances ... all you have to do is take one.

That's so--o me. (or maybe the me I wish I was.)

So on a coincidence, and apart of my dream planning for vacation this spring, I sent away for Adventure's by Disney DVD pack. It's a short 8 minute video (which is also on the web here.) that documents the Disney treatment to many different popular vacation places, including Tuscany Italy. In the video they use the reference of "La Dolce Vida" which translates to "The Sweet Life". Of course, I don't think we can afford Disney's 3 grand per person charge, which doesn't include airfare, but how can one not fall in love with the idea?

Yes, I'm hopeless. I'm a dreamer, a wisher, and a romantic. I live for my next opportunity to explore the far and away, and wish about experiences grand and small. I'll probably never get to all the places I'd love to, but I'm quite convinced that one day I've got to go to Tuscany, permanent or otherwise. Till then, I'll be living La Dolce Vida en los Greensboro.

Return to Travel