·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

My next vacation: Mexican Riviera

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on March 24th, 2008, 9:42 am | Travel
A Person wrote:Sounds like a holiday would be a neccessary medical expense. Call it anti-depression treatment.

Very impressive point. If we could get Medicare to kick in some for the shore excursions... :mrgreen:

Another little update on the upcoming trip...

I've been swimming every morning for three months now, and my stamina has made great improvements. My weight, not so much. With that in mind, I finally got on the 'net and contacted several dive shops in Cabo San Lucas to see what sort of trip I could arrange.

I found something that was "just right." Very close to the tendering pier, with a 2-tank local dive trip leaving at 11:30 in the morning. And to top it all... it'll cost $15 per person less than the Disney excursion. So yowza!

Still don't know if mom-in-law is still on the trip with us. I am trying to get that ironed out ASAP. It's not an ideal part of this vacation, but we'll see how it works out. Hoping for the best. But if she decides to bail, I'll just get someone else to take her place. And no -- I'm afraid I won't be needing any volunteers from this site. Maybe some other time. :mrgreen:

Other than that, we have all the basic arrangements made. All that's left are the fiddly little details, like taking my suit to the cleaners, making sure we all have our prescriptions ready to roll, and making sure the dive logs are UP TO DATE!.

Some might find this part of travel upsetting. I find it stimulating to think I'm actually doing stuff that is related to the upcoming vacation. I get to dream of actually being there, sort of.
April 29th, 2008, 6:34 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
She's probably got some insecurities about leaving the US rather than actually going....

Remember A-Team where they always had to drug B.A.?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
April 29th, 2008, 6:36 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:She's probably got some insecurities about leaving the US rather than actually going....

That thought has crossed my mind, yes. However, until she expresses such thoughts, I have no way of really acting on them. The issue that she HAS expressed is separate from that, and I have no means of helping with it... so I can only wait and hope that she gives us a positive nod.
April 30th, 2008, 2:58 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

So today when we got home from touring the Haw River Wine Trail (they had a crafts event all along the way) we found a message on the answering machine. It was my mother-in-law, saying that she had finally gotten things in order at her place, and she is definitely going to be able to join us on the cruise.

So that's settled. Now the only really big item left to tie together is getting my son's cat boarded. Gotta send him an e-mail Monday to remind him in a timely manner to call his vet.

Six more weeks... I'm starting to taste it! 8)
May 3rd, 2008, 9:21 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Just leave the cat a giant bowl of food a robo-kitty-cleaner, and a self-waterer....

Ours do just fine when we leave, although now we do have my parents to check in on them.

Just wish the dog could do the same.
May 4th, 2008, 9:42 am
Liv

Liv wrote:Just leave the cat a giant bowl of food a robo-kitty-cleaner, and a self-waterer....

Ours do just fine when we leave, although now we do have my parents to check in on them.

Just wish the dog could do the same.

For short trips of 3 days or less, I usually do this. However, being away for a full 9 days, it's definitely not a good idea. Particularly when we're flying across country, and with our luck, we'd get caught in the middle of another 9/11-style disaster and airline grounding. So yeah... we get folks to take care of the cats while we're on major trips.
May 4th, 2008, 10:31 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Well, it's interesting... today I thought I'd go about getting a few things arranged in advance for the trip, and I discover that I can't. I wanted to set up a stop on my mail deliveries using the USPS web site. Unfortunately, the bloody thing doesn't allow you to set up stops more than 12 days in advance.

Dorks.

So I did get onto USeless Air's web site to make sure I could check in for the flight before we head out on the road, and yes... their arrangements are pretty much the same as Delta's so we're cool. Provided our printer is still working next month. Not a given. Bloody machinery.

Anyway, all the cat arrangements are in place now, but we're still sort of puzzling over the arrangements for getting all 4 of us into Charlotte the night before the cruise. Mom-in-law's truck is back in working order, but she isn't sure about taking it cross-country to our place. I thought my wife might drive down the day we leave and pick her up in Fayette-hell, then drive to meet the rest of us at the hotel. Only that would be a 4-hour nightmare. Not fun.

So that's still up in the air.

Oh well. Back to the grind.
May 8th, 2008, 11:41 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

And thus the reason we as a country need a president who supports funding for teleportation.
May 8th, 2008, 1:13 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:And thus the reason we as a country need a president who supports funding for teleportation.

Any of those in the race this time around? I mean, besides Pat Paulson... er ... Ralph Nader? :mrgreen:
May 8th, 2008, 4:15 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I don't know... but I always use to love Keith Holliday because of his stance on changing local prisons into cryogenic stasis facilities like in Demolition man.

I'd vote for that man for President any day.
May 9th, 2008, 9:16 am
Liv

Man... it's feeling like bloody "Groundhog Day" here!

This afternoon, my mother-in-law called to check on us, to make sure we didn't get flattened by last night's storms, and she brought us up to date on the situation with her truck. Which apparently is still pretty bad.

From what I've heard, it has been "in the shop" for 4 of the past 5 days. In spite of getting the motor completely re-built, the thing STILL has problems that need attending to. So the good part of this story (for me) is that it apparently is no longer threatening the vacation plans for next month. The bad part is that increasingly, it appears we'll have to pick her up and drop her back off. Which should be just Peachy.

I haven't heard of what the financial arrangement she has with this garage, but I'm guessing they agreed to get her vehicle back in working order for a flat rate, payable when it's RIGHT. If so, they appear to be losing...
May 9th, 2008, 6:04 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to Travel