·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Getting Back to Oz

by Liv | Published on April 25th, 2008, 10:35 am | Travel
It's been about a week since we flew back from London. Life has been pretty weird from that point on. Surprisingly driving on the right came back pretty quick as did the odd change in etiquette between strangers. I feel isolated in my vehicle without 30 or 40 strangers riding with me. No longer did I hear "Cheers" as I checked out from Food Lion, nor did I hear "No worries, Love." when someone made a mistake. Our immediate friendliness is a few degrees short of the British, yet somehow the familiarity of the faces here endured my absence and welcomed me back.

Several days of being here has left me sick with a cold, I've yet to return to work other then checking my schedule. Somehow, I'm having a hard time functioning as well. I finished the bathroom, (to which I still must post pics) and we've started painting Chance's room. I'm tired and lethargic, and honestly I can't get our trip out of my head. It's as though London has corrupted me. Perhaps such is true anytime someone travels to far off cultures? I never felt this way about Canada, the Bahamas, nor Mexico. It's as though I'm sad. Sad that the fantasy has ended. As if Dorothy in all her time in the land of Oz, -final gets home and then realizes she'll spend the rest of her life trying to get back to Oz.

My parents always use to say I had Gypsy in my blood. Like some sort of calling to travel, I've tasted blood and I want more. The problem is it really interferes with your mindset when your trying to tell yourself your just a mental case, and to get back to reality.

In one breath, I want to say as I did when I came back to Philly how much I'm glad to be home. As enlightening as the travels to the city of Brotherly love was, it was clear the moment we hit North Carolina I had a new deep profound love and respect for the friendliness and good-will of the people in our state. I still feel that way today. However, in another breath, something about London touched me so profoundly, beyond our casual mindset of "Lets all get-along" that it bothers me not having it here. Oh and I'm certain roses always smell better in a different vase, and I won't ignore the obvious responses of argument suggesting my words are almost treasonous to the American patriotism, but I can't help but wonder how much better of a country we'd be if we all took a good look at how many good things other countries have.

In America we know we are the best. We've never known any better. It's this lack of questioning, that when one final does travel and walks down a (yellow brick) road of opprotunity, one realizes how such beliefs can lead to more narrow mindset. I'm grateful for my time abroad, and while I can't say if I'll ever make it back to Oz, like any fairy tale that changes its reader when we they stop just blindly reading, and become apart of the fantasy themselves, I am forever changed.

There are some places that resonate and you regret having to leave. It's not usually the exotic places or tourist destination because they are too different and you can't imagine earning a living there.

A few years ago I got to work in Pau, France for a couple of weeks. In the Bordeaux region, nestling up to the Pyrenees and home to the French oil industry head offices. Except that there was only ever a tiny bit of oil there and there are now no signs of any industrial activity. After a fortnight of eating excellent food and wine at small restaurants in picturesque villages, with a spectacular view in a perfect climate an hour from the Mediterranean, Cote d'Azure and the Pyrenees, I did not want to leave. I applied for a job with Total but lost out in the third interview. Coming in second doesn't count for much. Oh well.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
April 25th, 2008, 11:24 am
A Person

A Person wrote:There are some places that resonate and you regret having to leave.

Yeah, I have always felt that way when leaving Hawaii. Oh well... maybe one day. :?
April 25th, 2008, 12:54 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
lost.3x01.003.jpg
So after ABC's lost last night, I took my medicine and drifted off too sleepy land. If you've been watching Lost, then you'll perhaps you'll understand my dream. When I was watching it, (the show, not the dream) I even remarked how eerily it felt like someone read this article.

So I'm sitting there in the living room, and Shan who is quite concerned about my procurement of two airline tickets says "We can't afford those... it's two expensive!"...

to which I say "We have to go!"

Shan: "Why that plane?"

Me: "It has to be that plane.

Shan: "What about the kids?"

Me: "The kid's aren't real, none of this is real... We have to get back to London, we have to be on that plane..."

Shannon is now staring at me in disbelief...

me: "We have to go back.... we have to be on that March 11th plane."

When I believed in God, I would have said that was a sign. This week on House one of the phrases was "Coincidence is how God shows he's there." Honestly, I've often wondered. If not a God, is it Humans whom just look for connections, is "coincidences" happening to all of us.... and we just attach the supernatural to it? Or is it some cosmic phenomenon which does have a higher meaning? What about people whom follow their hunches, like mothers who feel their children are in trouble and save their lives? What if I'm really supposed to be on that plane on March 5. Perhaps I was supposed to watch Lost to have the dream so I would? Perhaps I'm just way too imaginative... perhaps, perhaps, perhaps... I guess there's only one way to find out! Right?
February 19th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

lost_plane.jpg

You've got to love this... This is "the" plane from Lost. Apparently N783DL was a Delta aircraft prior to become the infamous Oceanic 815.

Great story with pictures here...

Which makes me wonder... how many of the parts from this plane perhaps landed up as replacement parts in the next plane you fly?
March 8th, 2009, 11:40 am
Liv

the Delta L-1011 was a wonderful plane.... no US airlines, very few world airlines still have them.... they really were wonderful.
March 8th, 2009, 12:41 pm
Stepandfetch

Tomorrow I leave America... I say good riddance to check printing, to corrupt HR reps, to dentists whom rip my teeth and pockets.... Tommorow, tomorrow... there must be tomorrow..... No more 89 degree weather in March.... No more lasers shot at my skin.... no it's only a day away.... Dorothy is going backing to Oz....

Which means be good... listen to Sanjuro and SFI.... and if you're the praying type... put in a good word that me that a flock of seagulls doesn't decide to investigate what jet propulsion is while I'm over open water....
March 10th, 2009, 6:22 pm
Liv

Wow, where you heading to? Color me jealous... I've been wanting to get out of the country again for a little adventure for about 6 months.

Have a great time, and I hope it's not permanent! :wink:
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
March 11th, 2009, 11:16 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

We went back to the island.... oh God it's great....

I mean I don't want to sound like crazed lunatic teen... but something was pulling me back... I honestly thought.... it may have been a silly one off infatuation thing.... but I really love it here...

We flew out on Wednesday on a 767 from RDU with 38 passengers on board, landed at heathrow and sailed the passport control. Got our bag and walked to the central bus station, and road over to the Sheraton....

Took showers, and ran down to the borough market for some bread, wines, and cheese.... oh and REAL fish & chips!!!!

Went over to the BBC... and took a stroll down by the Thames....

I'm trying to book rail to Cardiff for the weekend, and supposedly we're meeting Greensboring's Smiler on Sunday, and hit the Saint Patrick's day celebration...

Here's Shan nice asleep in the super kooshy Sheraton bed:
DSCF6847.JPG
March 12th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Liv

Return to Travel