·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Black Mountain, N.C

by The Rain King | Published on July 11th, 2008, 12:09 pm | Travel
The Queen and I just got back from three days in Black Mountain, N.C. This is something like our third or fourth trip up there, and so far it is one of my favorite places on Earth. If you're not familiar with the place, it's right outside Asheville, in the Swannoa Valley. I absolutely love the area, and if it weren't for my job, I could easily live there the rest of my days, even if I do generally hate snow.
It's a curious, but utterly charming blend of old-timey mountain culture with funky, New Age, eco-activism, if that makes any sense. There was once a famous artist's colony here, and the legacy remains. It's the kind of place where you can enjoy a big, ol' greasy cheeseburger "All the Way'" (which means with slaw and chili, for the uninitiated) at a mom 'n' pop place called Fran's Front Porch, or you can grab a huge cup of organic, fair-trade coffee at Javin Coffeehouse, a ramblin', eclectic, old, "Animal House" manse with "Buck Fush" posters on the wall (where we were served by an amiable Rasta-dude in a tie-dyed tee with dreads down to his ass). You can eat rock candy on a stick from Old Town Valley Hardware or you can cross the street and get hand-made Macademia truffles at the chocolatier's.
And the scenery... well, I have yet to visit another town in the mountains where you can sit and eat Thai food on a patio in the center of downtown and have a 360 degree vista of wooded peaks that are not cross-hatched with construction scars, condos and rental cabins.
I cannot say enough positive things about this place. The locals are friendly and laid-back to the max, and they don't give a crap where you're from or how you're dressed. They'll strike up a conversation with anybody, they're never in a hurry, and if you are...well, that's your problem. A sign on the door of the old-fashioned barber shop last Tuesday read "CLOSED - GOT A DENTIST APPOINTMENT. SEE Y'ALL TOMORROW".

I'm including a link for a B&B we've stayed at three or four times. We absolutely love the place. Rooms are small, except for the main suite, but cozy and well-appointed. The food is excellent and my wife says it's one of the most romantic restauarants she's ever seen. For an extra ten bucks you can bring the dog, and the free breakfast every morning includes your dog, too. I'm not kidding. You have to step outside your room to smoke, but even I didn't find it a major incovenience.

Anyway, here''s the link. if you need a little dose of peace, this is the place:

http://www.madisonsblackmountain.com/

Black Mountain is indeed one of the better garden spots in the state. My wife spent a week there once many years ago, and she raved about Fran's.

The area around Asheville is just filled to overflowing with wonderful vistas and terrific places to visit. I took my Dad up to visit the NC Arboretum a few years ago. He loved that place. It's one of my favorite places to go when I'm in the area.

Great write-up, Monarch of Precipitation! 8)
July 11th, 2008, 12:21 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I'd love to get up there... I'm hoping to hit Myrtle this fall though.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
July 11th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:I'd love to get up there... I'm hoping to hit Myrtle this fall though.

No comparison as far as I'm concerned, babe. But have fun anyway. :wink:
July 11th, 2008, 1:01 pm
The Rain King

I'm generally a mountain person too... I like the slow pace... but It's been about 10-15 years (since I was a teen) that I've been to Myrtle.
July 11th, 2008, 1:06 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:I'm generally a mountain person too... I like the slow pace... but It's been about 10-15 years (since I was a teen) that I've been to Myrtle.

I recall the first time going with my family to the beach after like 20 years of nothing but mountains. We went to the Outer Banks in 1989, IIRC. It was a huge revelation to me. I discovered that I loved the beach. And wandering around Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills and all that area... it was cool.

Now, Myrtle Beach... be sure to get to Ripley's Aquarium and Broadway at the Beach. I'm not sure what else is there -- my son and I generally only go Scuba diving when we're there for more than a day. 8)
July 11th, 2008, 2:06 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to Travel