·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Any German Speakers?

by Liv | Published on February 1st, 2009, 11:00 am | Travel
german_document.jpg
I'm trying to figure out this document in my grandparents stuff. My first guess was it may have been a birth certificate because of the date: 1890, but I've Googlated the top portion and it makes no sense to me:

deutsches reich konigreich durttemberg heimatschein
German Kingdom durttemberg rich seemingly homeless

Some of the letters are very difficult to determine, and translating the middle portion didn't do me any good...

So any ideas?

The phrase
von dem unterzeichneten wird geboren
means
By the undersigned is born

So birth certificate is correct. My German is very rusty I can hack away at the odd word
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
February 1st, 2009, 11:10 am
A Person

Thats great! Thank you...

It's amazing... I planned on doing genealogy on my Welsh side, but this is really neat to have my German side all the way back to Germany....
February 1st, 2009, 11:15 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Great to see you issue has been resolved by local resources. However your request actually supports an idea that I would the Triad to consider. As we are struggling with the Global economic meltdown, why not revitalize the sister city or sister region program. We could partner with selected areas of the globe and help build trade discounts to encourage more commerce for the communities and cultural enrichment. We could choose regions where most of our forefathers came from originally and family reunions with extended family members.

That would be sure method to elevate our heritage, pride and economy.

Something to think about at least.
February 1st, 2009, 12:16 pm
Joel Leonard

The Kingdom specified has a rich homely appearance. Perhaps the material specified brings nostalgia to someone.
February 1st, 2009, 4:33 pm

Deutsches Reich means: German Empire, since in those days they had an emperor.
Konigreich Murttemberg means: Kingdom of Murttemberg, a part of the German Empire. like a province or state.
Heimatschein means: Birth certificate

The rest is like dates and names and place of birth etc. which I can't read clearly.
February 2nd, 2009, 4:03 am
The Dude

Dear Sir or Mam,

The state this document is from Baden-Wurtemberg which is adjacent to France. Take a look at a German map which lists all the states. Get the document blown up so you can carefully read all letters or I can. Shouldn't be a problem then to translate your document.

Bavarian Yodler
Tiroler Echo
February 2nd, 2009, 11:10 am
Bavarian Yodler

Bavarian Yodler wrote: Get the document blown up so you can carefully read all letters or I can. Shouldn't be a problem then to translate your document. / Bavarian Yodler / Tiroler Echo

Agree it would be better from a clearer copy...got the following out of it as is:

Number 104

German Empire
Kingdom of Wuerttemberg (now a state of Germany)
Certification of home city (similar to a passport)

From the undersigned office is:
Karl Emil Schnabel
Born on the 18th of May 1890 in Ober........(Town in the)
Gemeinde (town belonging to) Unter....... near Weinberg

For the purpose of visiting a foreign country it is certified that the same (person) and
through ????? is a Wuerttemberger

This document is only good up until 1 January 1910 (initials/name for correction made)

(Rough translated: this is just for traveling and has no effect on the bearers citizenship under agreements that the German Empire has made)

Weinsberg, the 23rd of May 1909

Royal Wuerttemberg's Office
//signed// Feurer

Seal

Small print below the seal can't be deciphered, but should just be bureaucratic disclaimer and form letter instruction type verbiage

Appears to be his passport to leave the country as a German issued when he was 19 years old
February 2nd, 2009, 1:53 pm
Drew55

You're awesome!!!!

I noticed Emil had another name there, but I couldn't make it out... Apparently he never used it once he was in America... Karl... that's cool!
February 2nd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Wow. I have a document from the same area and Google lead me to this site so at least I now know what Konigreich Murttemberg means. The document I have is not a birth certificate, I'm not sure what it is. It's two pages (one page front and back) on blue paper and very illegible to me. I also have another set of pages that are illegible to me that were written around the same time.This second set of pages may be a German will? They appear to be some sort of list, anyway, and it's signed by people and stamped on the last page.

I attached two photos just to show you what I'm talking about.

I know the blue paper starts out with Christian's date of birth, I can't read the two words before 18 but I know he was born 18 March 1842. I can read Pittsburg, PA and the street address but not the rest. I figured out who Max Schamberg is and I'm assuming these documents were sent to his office since that is his address listed. I don't know a lot of German but I could probably figure it out if I could even tell what was written, but I just can't read the handwriting at all.

So if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it very much. These are papers we didn't even know existed until they were found in my Grandpa's belongings after his death in 2007. Me, being the genealogy buff, inherited all papers and photos and such.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you think you can help me decipher these papers.
Attachments
George Christian Shaumeyer German Naturalization Papers a edited.jpg
Possibly naturalization papers?
George Christian Shaumeyer German Papers k.jpg
This appears to maybe be a will.
August 13th, 2009, 4:18 am
kurgannazzir

Return to Travel