·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Oatman, Arizona

by Liv | Published on July 22nd, 2006, 2:17 pm | Travel

Let's escape the boro, and go somewhere else for a moment. Specifically Oatman, Arizona. I've mentioned before I used to live in Bullhead City, Arizona for a brief time in my life, and nearby in the mountainous desert terrain resided the neighboring community of Oatman, Arizona.

I dug up these old pictures on our old desktop computer today, and thought I'd share. These are a few years old when Shannon was pregnant at the time.

Imagine classic route 66, and an abandoned ghost town from mining excursions in the late 1800's. Not a modern day themed tourist attraction to look like a ghost town, but the actual physical buildings from the olden days, that's Oatman, Arizona.

Wisely someone decided it might be a good idea to turn it into a tourist attraction and sell stuff, but for the most part it's still the old west, barren of modern life.

Two of the biggest attractions in Oatman, AZ is the gunfight shows held right there on old route 66, and the famous Oatman Burros. These burros are direct descendants of the original Horses and donkeys that powered the mining operations over a century ago.

Today their offspring are well fed, groomed, and allowed to roam the streets as tourist tempt the oatman burros with carrots, and snacks.

The Oatman Saloon offers a $100.00 Big-Mac, which involves someone driving 20 miles back into Bullhead City, going through the drive-thru, and buying a Big Mac.

If you get near Oatman Arizona, or plan a cross-country drive, then this is definitely somewhere you want to experience once. It's also the perfect place to pickup roadside souvenirs and experience real-old-west history.

Return to Travel