Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

How to buy International Reply Coupons or IRCs?

Thought provoking content you're going to LOVE!

Postby stablehand » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 am

Maybe this is how terrorists get in the country, by making offers and requiring SASE for response. Maybe this is how they are defeating the American can-d0 attitude, by soliciting manuscripts and other works for possible publication or investment and firing back those one-line rejections.
stablehand

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Thank you so much for posting this information - especially the link to purchase online. You saved me a huge amount of hassle! I appreciate it!!

Postby J Hill » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Greetings,

I cannot help but see that you mentioned the race of one of workers that you so accurately (if what you're saying is true, of course) described as incompetent. I just wonder the relevance of inserting this point? What was it supposed to add to the article's content?

Its seeming irrelevance struck me as odd and the result of someone with some hidden prejudice. I will spare you the insult of calling it even.....clownish....of you to highlight the race of one of the 4 or 5 employees into which you ran. Just my two cents...
J Hill

Postby Liv » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 am

Vividness and detail was the intention, not racism or prejudice.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby mike f. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:14 am

after getting back into shortwave listening after many years, I've picked up the habit again. After reading this aeticle I decided to check with the main post office in our city and inquire about IRC's...The oldest lookin guy behind the counter overheard me asking and said that he remembered them..I asked him if I can purchase them there, he stated he had no information on them at all, and then grinned and (unlike the others at the counter who looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about) said to me.."why ya think we're going outta business?? Cause we're customer friendly??"....Then he told me where I 'could' find them, much to his co-workers surprise. I thanked him that there was still someone left in the system with a brain!
mike f.

Postby [email protected] » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 am

hi, thanks for posting this! it was very useful indeed to learn the link to the post store selling IRCs.
just ordered 20, hope they will work.
[email protected]

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Thank you so much for this information. My local post office had no idea what I was talking about, so I used your link to order this on-line. It's no surprise the post office is in financial trouble.

Postby Liv » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59 pm

Guest wrote: It's no surprise the post office is in financial trouble.

The question is, should we expect it to make a profit? I don't require my fire department to do so. Though I can't compare the quality of service between the two.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Just tried to buy them in Germany, same line, first post office had never heard of them or postal orders, the second said they'd stopped making them 5 years ago. Nearly all governments require them for citizenship documents, apart from the UK who I have to say has the best system.

Postby Ken » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:34 pm

I was just able to purchase IRCs online at USPS.com. It took a while to figure it out. You have to have the SKU (which was posted above thankfully) and then look in the Philatelic Catalog at this link https://store.usps.com/store/browse/forcollectors.jsp or from the menu in the "Buy Stamps" section.

They were in-stock. Let's see if they come propery stamped. I had to pay the $2.10 each plus $1.25 shipping.
Ken

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Great site. Question: When you buy them online, are they stamped when you get them or do you just get them stamped when you send out the package at your local post office? I'm assuming the latter.

Postby Liv » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 pm

You get them stamped the moment you buy them, because, ideally, they're meant to be sent (in an envelope) so something can be sent back to you. So yes, be sure they stamp (The US side of) them before you leave the post office, and/or upon purchase.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Ken wrote:I was just able to purchase IRCs online at USPS.com. It took a while to figure it out. You have to have the SKU (which was posted above thankfully) and then look in the Philatelic Catalog at this link https://store.usps.com/store/browse/forcollectors.jsp or from the menu in the "Buy Stamps" section.

They were in-stock. Let's see if they come propery stamped. I had to pay the $2.10 each plus $1.25 shipping.

It appears as though, our information has become outdated... but I've updated it. Every year they change the part number. The new number is 330900 (not 330800). I've also updated the link above to directly link to the page to order IRCs. Thanks for pointing it out!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby mijiniya » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:50 am

what a great information ! I had to go through same trouble to find this IRC. People at postoffice kept saying they are not selling those any more... I was very frustrated!! Thanks for sharing this useful information!!!
mijiniya

Postby lisathomps » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 am

Thank you for the information and the for the good laugh. It's nice to know I'm not alone in a world where "It's not my job" or "it's not my problem" applies to the majority.
lisathomps

Postby kneelingforLoki » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 pm

THANK YOU!<3<3
kneelingforLoki

Postby barbara » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 pm

This is so helpful! Thank you for posting it. My local post office was like, "we don't have them and I don't think anywhere in town has them." So I ordered them online based on the info you provided.
barbara

Postby RcP » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:34 pm

You can buy them online at USPS.com now
RcP

Postby Guitarswinger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I just used your link to the USPS store & got the following message:

"Product ID S_330900 is not available on USPS - The United States Postal Service
Continue Shopping"
:(
Guitarswinger

Postby Liv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm

They tend to change the part number every year 330800, to 330900... which explains the link being broken, but I can't find this years product. Perhaps they're discontinuing to sell them via the internet. I'll keep trying to find them on their site, and update the link if I can find them.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Okay found the answer:

Effective January 27, 2013, the U.S. Postal Service® will stop selling International Reply Coupons. However, the Postal Service™ will continue to redeem them

They are, as they say, no more.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Goes to show you how "international" America is going to be this year. Yuck.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Mc13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I got some IRCs. One is stamped from December 30, 2011, do I need to add that 10 cent stamp to it or will they honor it because it stamped prior to the price increase?
Mc13

Postby Liv » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm

I believe they'll honor them, but I'd check with USPS.... wait, no scratch that, they're idiots.

I'd just use them and cross your fingers.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Mc13 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 am

Liv wrote:I believe they'll honor them, but I'd check with USPS.... wait, no scratch that, they're idiots.

I'd just use them and cross your fingers.

I plan on mailing that IRC to the UK or Canada for usage, not within the U.S.. I don't know how the Royal Mail and Canada Post works, but I suppose they'll honor them due to the stronger pound and Canadian dollar.

I only started using them last year, and I was surprised at the rate of usage. I received photos back from folks like Eva Green, Henry Cavill, and Jonas Armstrong... they all used the IRC(s) included with the SASE.

It's a pain in the butt the USPS isn't selling them anymore... even on eBay when the markup isn't as big, it's $1 more (even with free shipping).
Mc13

PreviousNext

Return to Originals