·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Ford Truck Problems

by Nfidel | Published on July 18th, 2009, 4:43 pm | Advice
I have a 1976 F-250 4wd. It began to eat starters a year and a half ago. Then a starter ate the ring gear on the flywheel. I went through 5 lifetime warranty starters until I installed one that broke the ring gear. I had the ring gear replaced, at a cost of $350 plus parts (not a bad price, as this truck is a beast). I drove it for several months but it still destroyed starters at an alarming rate. Finally about 4 months ago the ring gear got chewed up again.

I asked my mechanic what could cause the problem. He said a bearing on the crankshaft could be worn, allowing the shaft to shift. Shaft shift. Anyway, coupled with not needing the truck at the time (there was no work) and a lack of funds (did I say there was no work?) I left it where it died and sometimes mow around it. And under it. It is really tall. So I wonder if the mechanic's explanation makes sense to anyone who would know about these things. I have some jobs coming up soon and will need a truck. Should I try to sell this as a parts truck to a local mud racer (and help fund the purchase of a truck more befitting of my size) or has my mechanic missed some cheap, easy fix?

Here's the obligatory mechanical data: Engine- 390 cid from a 1971 Galaxy or LTD (Don't laugh. It's old but it was re-built in the 80's before it was installed in the truck. Plus it can pull your house off its foundation.) Electronic ignition; the type of power steering that has a hydraulic cylinder mounted horizontally under the engine; again, it's four wheel drive with a four speed manual transmission; Bumper sticker says "NO GODS, NO MASTERS". :twisted:

Your mechanics guestimate is what immediately popped in my head before I got to reading his diagnosis.... But the wobble could be from a bad fluid dampner on the front of the engine... Since a tear down and rebuild is painfully expensive, I'd be sure first that there isn't another explanation which would be much cheaper....

The Fluid Dampner... example here:

is designed to remove vibration from the engine, and Fords impaticular have a bad reputation for them going bad. Sometimes you can even tell by finding yours and seeing if the outside sleeve moves with the engine off, or if you hear a noise from the front of the vehicle....

If memory serves me it's about a $30-$50 part and then an arm and leg to install... unless you do it yourself then it's just a pain in the arse.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
July 18th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

The mechanic may have said damper, I don't remember. I just got the idea from him that something on one end of the crank was allowing it to move. If you and/or he are right, I'll just sell the truck. I don't have the space, knowledge or proper tools to replace the engine or work on the crank. Thanks, you've told me what I needed to know. It's worth $300 at the crusher and it has $500 worth of new tires. I may get more than I paid for it. Thanks again, Liv, with another quick response.
July 18th, 2009, 8:18 pm
Nfidel

sell it
July 19th, 2009, 10:12 am
bj666

I mean, if it is the dampener.... it wouldn't be too expensive.... I'd definitely get a second opinion from someone can hear and see the truck run...

If it's a internal issue... I'd definitely dump it...

If it's the dampener, basically you remove the pulley the belts go in... about 4 bolts, and whatever to loosen all the bolts, then remove a bolt from the dampener, borrow a dampner puller from the auto store, and and pull it off, goes back on in a similar fashion....

I'd imagine most garages would charge you 1.5 hours labor... So probable $150-$200 plus the dampner which is about $50 or no labor and a case of beer if you can sweet talk a mechanical friend...
July 19th, 2009, 10:37 am
Liv

Liv wrote:
I'd imagine most garages would charge you 1.5 hours labor... So probable $150-$200 plus the dampner which is about $50 or no labor and a case of beer if you can sweet talk a mechanical friend...

Yeah, but that money is in addition to the $350 + that I would spend having the ring gear re-replaced. I'm thinking an engine replacement might be worth it, were I to keep the truck. Really though, it would be nice to get something more modern and that doesn't use Premium gasoline at a rate of 10mpg.
July 20th, 2009, 9:38 am
Nfidel

Well that's a definate upside.... Depending on how far you've got to go, and what you have to carry...

Zap has a nice electric truck or a lot of people are just buying trailers at Home Depot and getting a hitch for the Prius.
July 20th, 2009, 10:09 am
Liv

Return to Advice