Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Lights, Camera, Funeral... and Cue Death

Thought provoking content you're going to LOVE!

Postby Liv » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:10 pm

buried_alive.jpg

Death is something which occurs frequently in life. People die, you're bound to witness it, guaranteed to have it occur eventually. In my observation of the event, it's generally at the time of death that is when people commonly come to the conclusion that their entire lives, their entire belief structure is in question.

It does happen to some people sooner. In my opinion this usually is accompanied by anger. I've seen recent relatives near dying awake for minutes, respirator in mouth, in anger only to die hours later. I've seen partners of loved ones grow cold and bitter slowly when there is no word from the other side in the years following a funeral.

The process is worsened when you outlive everyone you love. When your brothers and sisters, your mother and your father, perhaps even when you are the last of a generation. You look around and all you see is loneliness. I've seen family members, healthy and normal, become suicidal, and wanting to die. It's this enlightenment, this process by which we see our own mortality for what it is. It's one-way, no turning back. When loved one's die, they don't come back. Suddenly there's silence, and all of our years when we were so sure of what life is about comes full circle, and loneliness becomes our only companion.

Of course it doesn't have to be that way. Though the irony, something we humans love, is a dramatic fitting.

I think funerals are a good indicator of what falsehoods we retain in life about what death is. I know for every family, funerals are different. For the majority of ones I've attended throughout the years, they're generally what I call in my opinion "Your Last 15 Minutes of Fame". It's a show, a production. The cast includes your dead body (optional), some preacher with a rehearsed and recited monologue that is used over and over again at everyone's funeral, and family and friends who would normally never come and visit you in real life. I mean why do we tolerate athletes who get paid millions of dollars, or Britney Spears being stupid and rich. Why? Because we all secretly want to be them. We want our fame, and a funeral is our last chance to strut upon a stage for an audience. For some of us it's our only opportunity to stand before our loved ones and say "this was my life and this is what it stood for". I'm not sure if there's really anything wrong with that, except sometimes the theater production of your death is hijacked by family members who have some alternative concept of what you want, or what your life was about. Who are you to argue, you're dead?

Commonly these hijacked funerals are rigid, and strictly adhere to the hijackers beliefs, and their feelings. I've often found that it's the hijackers who feel that their relationship with the dead person is more important or should be more coveted then anyone else's. It often excludes other loved ones in some form or fashion.

Me. When I die. Bring some beer, pass the microphone, everyone say something nice and have a laugh, If you want to dance... dance. Want to scream, scream. Want to cuss at me.. then do so. Then move on with your lives. If I lived my life right, then there's no doubt that part of me will live on in those whom I love. After all, I knew long ago... that life, this life, is all we've got.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Funerals are for the living, not the dead. But having said that, it seems to be important to bear the dead person's wishes in mind, while marking the passing in a meaningful and appropriate way.

Many people would not have liked my father's 'funeral' since there wasn't one. We (the immediate family) disposed of his body in a simple cremation in a nondescript MDF box. When my mother wrote the cheque ($1,600) to the funeral directors for arranging the cremation she laughed (and cried a little) saying he would have been so happy she hadn't wasted any money.

We then held a party for all of his many friends and colleagues. People circulated, reminisced and chatted. later when most people had left, a close friend produced a guitar and we sang Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side*" This wonderful song always reminds me of him now.

*Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:38 pm

My father broke his hip about a year before his death. He was virtually the last surviving member of his generation, and he sure became bitter. My sister provided him with all the support he needed to survive, giving him a room in her house to live in while she helped him with his therapy. But he could not get over his depression regarding the loss of Mom, his ability to walk freely, and his position as head of his own home. It's all understandable... but it harmed him and the rest of the family.

I urged him to get therapy (not sure what coverage or programs were available, but it was NEEDED anyway), but her refused to consider it. Eventually, my sister had to move him out, into a nursing home. He refused to consider making friends with anyone there. Again, understandable, but self-harming. My sister and I provided him with as much support and love as we could... but it didn't seem to help much.

If I get to that stage of life, I hope I won't follow that path. I'd much prefer to be around friends and loved ones in my last days.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby chris » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:48 pm

"cue", not "queue"
chris

Postby Liv » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:30 pm

chris wrote:"cue", not "queue"

gracias
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 am

I'd rather Death had to queue.
Death.jpg
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:15 am

Death definitely will have to wait its turn. After shaving and taxes, from what I've heard...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to Originals