Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

America Drugs its citizens with their dreams.

Thought provoking content you're going to LOVE!

Postby Liv » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Man_daydreaming.gif

A land of opportunity they say, hope is not necessarily a bad thing. In America; however, we've made hope into a drug which pollutes the minds of it's citizens. We've taken something we need just like water, air, or food, and we've commercialized it like a Happy Meal. We simply can't believe in a normal life. In a land littered with American Idols, Paris Hilton, Jon Benet Ramsie, and childhood mantras that suggest in a land of opportunity eventually all your dreams do come true. How can anyone possibly ever argue America isn't great?

I imagine I will quickly get a response in anger to bringing up this taboo subject. After all there must be some sort of protective mechanism similar to withdrawal that keeps a drug addict on his/her fix. I think that should be a warning sign there, that "our" hope, our idea of what we can achieve, at least here in America is wrong.

But.... "You can achieve anything if you try hard enough...."

...Look, I could try till the day I die to sing like Celine Dion, but it isn't going to happen.

Besides we don't grow up with rational hopes and dreams. We want to be astronauts, heroes, rock-stars, or actors. The majority of us didn't say we want to excel at the McDonald's managerial program and one day be able to afford a car. I know of adults who are 50 years old that are so delusioned by the American dream that they think they're just one lotto ticket away from all their dreams, or that their kids/grand-kids are so talented they'll be able to live the life they didn't, succeed in unimaginable ways, and they'll reap the benefits. Why are we so blinded by people like Madoff despite obvious evidence to the contrary? Why? We love rich people. We believe we will be one someday.

But let's be honest... "Hope" outside of America, in many countries, is about hoping to have food for the next meal, or one day not being in a war zone, hope is wishing that you'll survive past the age of 25 or getting a basic education. We've turned hope into some bastard form of itself where we're spending so much time hoping, and dreaming we forget about living.

Isn't that a definition of a drug? When it interferes with life. When you sit in that cubicle just "hoping" your life is going to change, too scared to simple just be that person you are, you keep telling yourself "One day my boss will recognize how great a person I am and give me a promotion", someday this, someday that. Maybe I'll get 'discovered' on karaoke night at the Chinese restaurant, maybe on vacation in Hollywood a big executive-type person will discover me. Seriously, where the heck do we come up with this crap?

Why would they want to drug us with our dreams? Because personal initiative is deterred in the country. You can't have everyone succeed. The system we have here in America requires the majority of people to be in a drug induced coma, mindlessly buying into a system where a few succeed.

The irony of it is, most of us will never see our dreams because of our system. We will die, as slaves to the few who do. That's America, that's capitalism, that's your life. Just say no to drugs.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Pineview Style » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:41 pm

It's all about image and perception these days. When all else fails, one can post their pictures on Facebook from happy hour at some cookie cutter bar with friends who the only thing they have in common with is a shared taste in the beer du jour. As if to say "Hey! I know how to have fun too! I know how to work hard and play hard! That's what everyone else is doing!"
Pineview Style

Postby Liv » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Once upon a time, Chuang Tzu dreamed that he was a butterfly, flying about enjoying itself. It did not know that it was Chuang Chou. Suddenly he awoke, and veritably was Chuang Chou again. He did not know whether it was Chuang Chou dreaming that he was a butterfly, or whether it was the butterfly dreaming that it was Chuang Chou.

The transformation of things proves that the differences among things are not absolute.

-Zhuangzi

But if someone steps on the butterfly in your dream, do you die in real life?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:45 pm

I'd say the dilemma is already resolved since butterflies do not have enough neurons to philosophise. Failing that it could be resolved by introducing a female butterfly into the room. If you get turned on by the lack of spots and thick veins on her wings then you're a butterfly. If you eat her then you're a bird dreaming you're a man, dreaming you're a butterfly.
A Person

Postby Liv » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Weirder things have happened. :)
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:08 pm

I don't know about that, but I know if you die in your dream, you won't die in real life. That's a myth.
Jamy

Postby Liv » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Jamy wrote:I don't know about that, but I know if you die in your dream, you won't die in real life. That's a myth.

Don't tell Nancy Thompson that....
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Liv wrote:
Jamy wrote:I don't know about that, but I know if you die in your dream, you won't die in real life. That's a myth.

Don't tell Nancy Thompson that....

Oh well she's in a group all to herself. It's one thing to wake up alive after splatting on the ground after falling from a cliff or being shot in the head, but something else altogether to wake up alive after being slashed to ribbons by Freddy Krueger. :lol:
Jamy

Postby Liv » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Of course, dreams could be just a glimpse at parallel universes.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Liv wrote:Of course, dreams could be just a glimpse at parallel universes.

Well if that is the case, then I have corpses of myself scattered all over a bunch of other universes. Figures I'd leave a mess behind.
Jamy

Return to Originals