Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Coral Reefs

Thought provoking content you're going to LOVE!

Postby Evil Liv » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 pm

coral_reefs.jpg
coral_reefs.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

[Cities] are the coral colony for Man, the collective being. -Alfred Doblin

Coral reefs, the gardens of the sea, are havens for over 25% of the sea life on Earth. Over the last 10,000 years, shallow waters reefs emerged in a race against the warming earth from the last ice-age. Now their calcium carbonate cathedral walls are doomed to topple as another species on Earth destroys their ocean environment through global warming: mankind.

In 2010, world scientists determined that mankind had exceeded the tipping point for saving the coral reefs. (1) It’s now 2012, and our failure to change the trend has resulted in a 19% of all coral reefs on Earth being lost. Continuing at this rate, it’s expected that within half a decade all coral reefs on earth will be lost.

A tragedy in the making considering reefs take decades to grow, and the consequences of their death may include our own as food shortages occur due to seafood morbidity, erosion destroys cities by unprotected breakwater, and indirectly the oceans turn to acid with the ever increasing CO2 levels. At the very least, tourism at reefs, such as the Great Barrier Reef, and the lives of nomadic sea dwelling tribes who use the reefs, could be decimated. In addition, dozens of societies in the Philippines, and Indonesia, derive their food supply from the fish of the coral reefs. (2) The larger question is can we take the risk, that the extinction of the coral reefs don’t mean the extinction of mankind?

Closer to home, the Belize reef, which is the second largest in the world, is showing nearly a 50% reduction in its size as of 2003 (2) due to a 1997 mass bleaching event.

Bleaching, a process in which Coral reefs loses its ability to maintain its balanced eco-system and then begins to die. It is a direct result of ocean acidity (preventing calcifying bonds) and higher ocean temperatures. There have been six major extinction level bleachings since 1979, corresponding to spikes in the global world temperatures. (4)

Several attempts at saving coral reefs are in the works. From cryogenic preservation, to deep sea gardening which involves replanting live coral into other dead reefs. It’s a constant battle of preservation as coral commits suicide in response to mankind’s horrors.

It would seem obvious that the real solution is to prevent what’s killing coral in the first place: manmade global warming, but to make such an assumption, we would have to believe mankind was capable of being responsible for their actions. I’m reminded that man like a sea squirt may simply be incapable of reform due their innate ability to ignore their need for self-preservation:

The juvenile sea squirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable hunk of coral to cling to and make its home for life. When it finds its spot and takes root, it doesn't need its brain anymore so it eats it! - Daniel Dennett

Works Cited
1. Evolutionarily Distinct, and Globally Endangered. Edge, The. 2011, p. http://www.edgeofexistence.org/coral_reef/default.php.
2. Extreme Heat Bleaches Coral, and Threat Is Seen. GILLIS, JUSTIN. New York : New York Times, 2010, Vol. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/scien ... coral.html.
3. Belize Reef Die-Off Due to Climate Change? Hafvenstein, Brian Handwerk with Lauri. s.l. : National Geographic News, 2003, Vol. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... reefs.html.
4. Coral Bleaching. Wikipedia. s.l. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_bleaching.
Evil Liv

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Salvage divers are starting to work on recovering tires that had been dumped in the ocean many years ago. Apparently, someone had the bright idea that this would make a cool artificial reef.

Apparently, the fish thought otherwise.

Still, I wouldn't mind volunteering to help out. Might be fun... though not for three full years!

Matt wrote:Was the idea coral would grow on the tires?

I think so. You'd think they would have tested it out in some sort of small-scale setting before dumping a couple million tires in the ocean. Yikes.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Questioner » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Matt wrote:Was the idea coral would grow on the tires?
I think they saw that sea life thrives on old ship wrecks, and just assumed that the tires would provide a nice new habitat for sea life.

Obviously, they were trying to do a good thing, but unfortunately, tires aren't wood and steel and other things in ships. Tires leach toxins, and that obviously was a very bad thing. I'm glad that they are able to combine their necessary training with this tire removal project.
Questioner

Postby A Person » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 pm

The 'artificial reef' idea was used to justify many strange sea dumpings.

I seem to recall a company making one out of defective AT hard drives or is that an urban legend?

As I remember it the original drives were so flaky that a competing company offered a big rebate on their drives and sunk the defective ones off Boca Raton supposedly in sight of IBM plant.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:51 pm

A Person wrote:The 'artificial reef' idea was used to justify many strange sea dumpings.

I seem to recall a company making one out of defective AT hard drives or is that an urban legend?

As I remember it the original drives were so flaky that a competing company offered a big rebate on their drives and sunk the defective ones off Boca Raton supposedly in sight of IBM plant.

I haven't heard that one. I'll keep my eyes open for that. I have gone diving on some fairly odd artificial reefs, though. One was a tugboat and jet fighter that were placed on the sand off of Myrtle Beach. That was a very nice dive.

I had heard that in Charleston, when they pulled down the old box-girder bridges after opening the new suspension bridge, they had planned to sink it off the coast to make a new artificial reef. Later, they decided to recycle the steel. So I don't know what happened to the rest of the things...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:49 pm

I found this document http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/REEFS20070501.pdf at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission site which contains a list of Florida's artificial reefs.

There are several tire reefs, mostly concreate and steel scrap but several other interesting materials
e.g.
M60 Army Tanks
Fiberglass boat molds
Numerous ships & Barges
Bridge materials
Box Cars
Stainless Steel Spheres ?
School Buses
F4 Fighter Planes
DC3 Plane

But I couldn't find computer discs.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:09 pm

A Person wrote:I found this document http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/REEFS20070501.pdf at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission site which contains a list of Florida's artificial reefs.

There are several tire reefs, mostly concreate and steel scrap but several other interesting materials
e.g.
M60 Army Tanks
Fiberglass boat molds
Numerous ships & Barges
Bridge materials
Box Cars
Stainless Steel Spheres ?
School Buses
F4 Fighter Planes
DC3 Plane

But I couldn't find computer discs.

Coolness. I know they recently sunk an aircraft carrier as a reef off the coast of the panhandle. I would expect lots of fun diving on that. There's a quarry near Greensboro where they have a car, a PT Boat and (most recently) a couple of helicopters sunk for diver entertainment.

Yeah -- divers can have fun with the darnedest things...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Questioner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:20 am

A Person wrote:The 'artificial reef' idea was used to justify many strange sea dumpings.

Can we say, "recycling"???
Questioner

Postby A Person » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:03 am

Artificial reefs are a good thing and not just to provide entertainment for divers. They encourage a whole ecosystem to grow in what would otherwise be barren sandy bottom. They also prevent bottom trawlers from destroying the sea floor.

They probably do represent better value (financially an environmentally) over recycling -especially for scrap concrete and ships

My understanding is that tires aren't very satisfactory not because they are toxic but because they are not very dense and hence not stable. They tend to get dispersed by wave and tide action.
A Person

Postby Questioner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:39 am

A Person wrote:Artificial reefs are a good thing and not just to provide entertainment for divers. They encourage a whole ecosystem to grow in what would otherwise be barren sandy bottom. They also prevent bottom trawlers from destroying the sea floor.

They probably do represent better value (financially an environmentally) over recycling -especially for scrap concrete and ships

My understanding is that tires aren't very satisfactory not because they are toxic but because they are not very dense and hence not stable. They tend to get dispersed by wave and tide action.
The problem with modern ships is that unlike the wrecks of 100 years ago, a lot of synthetic stuff goes into them. I worry about what that might mean in terms of leaching toxins into the ocean. And tires can leach nasty stuff. I once was shown a property through which a creek ran in Virginia. A goodly chunk was low lying marsh around the banks. The owner had dumped thousands of tires on the banks and in the water. The water was all dark brown in the more stagnant marshy area. And the whole area stunk of tires. I know that isn't evidence, nor did I investigate whether or not that could be toxic. I wasn't willing to go one step farther with that property. Anyway, I don't really know if tires can leach toxic stuff into water, but it worries me.

I rather liked the company that ground up tires and put them into asphalt for road making. Evidently the ground up tires made the road much more durable and resistant to weather variations.
Questioner

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:09 pm

A Person wrote:Artificial reefs are a good thing and not just to provide entertainment for divers.

Sure, but being a recreational diver, the main attraction is the fun of the dives -- seeing large things with lots of nooks for fish and other critters to live in and be found. The more exotic, the better -- for both the objects that are placed down there are the critters around them. :wink:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Questioner wrote:The problem with modern ships is that unlike the wrecks of 100 years ago, a lot of synthetic stuff goes into them. I worry about what that might mean in terms of leaching toxins into the ocean. And tires can leach nasty stuff. I once was shown a property through which a creek ran in Virginia. A goodly chunk was low lying marsh around the banks. The owner had dumped thousands of tires on the banks and in the water. The water was all dark brown in the more stagnant marshy area. And the whole area stunk of tires. I know that isn't evidence, nor did I investigate whether or not that could be toxic. I wasn't willing to go one step farther with that property. Anyway, I don't really know if tires can leach toxic stuff into water, but it worries me.
Ships and vehicles that are sunk for reefs are stripped and cleaned first. They are far more environmentally begign than a wrecked ship. A case in point being the many WWII ships sunk off the coast of Britain with live ammunition on board. Despite warnings, recreational divers still recover shells for souvenirs.

I found this report
Toxicity of Scrap Tire Leachates in Estuarine ]Salinities:Are Tires Acceptable for Artificial Reefs? This suggests that in high salinity environments leaching shouldn't be a problem. But they've pretty much stopped using tires for reefs now and I'm glad. A sunken army tank is one thing, a pile of tires looks no better underwater than on top, the tires get washed away and they do leach some toxins.

Burning, tire crumb, mulch etc. are not very satisfactory either. Given that a worn out tire contains about 10% less material than a new one, I think there needs to be a goal set for tires to be completely recyclable in say 5 years. You could require the tire manufacturers to buy back tires at 50% of the purchase price.
A Person

Return to Originals