Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

My Grandfather, a Veteran

Thought provoking content you're going to LOVE!

Postby Liv » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

ww2-147.jpg

Today of course is Veterans day. As to what that means to each one of us is a different thing. Some of us are being honored and some honor others. Ironically, much is lost these days. My employer is business as usual. Today the cemetery I drive by is lined with flags, and the news runs an occasional "blip" about a veteran, and their touching stories.

I'm not really sure what it means to me. I'm grateful. I know that. Most of what I know of Veterans day is based of memories of my Grandfather. A former Navy man, who fought battles so horrific, so unthinkable, he rarely if at all ever spoke of them to us. My grandfather died last year, and while I always wanted to "hear" more of the stories he occasionally told, I was forced to realize he had censored the majority of content because it was too painful to retell.

I know this. Grandpa was one of the lucky ones. Except for a few flesh wounds, he clearly fared better than the majority of fellow Navy men he befriended. His best friends died beside him at war, though we were never told how bad it was. We knew his company of about 26 men came back 3 strong after one particular fight. We know that many were decapitated, or lost limbs on the battlefield.

One time while my grandparents who lived in Ohio came to North Carolina to visit, my father thought he'd enjoy a visit out to the USS Wilmington, a battleship permanently anchored as a museum on the coast of our state. He refused. Wanted no part. Here, so many years later the idea of his life aboard a similar ship had caused the man so much fear, so much pain, that he literally almost stopped functioning.

What good had came out from my grandfather were his skills as a soldier. From him- me and my 6 cousins learned how to tie a good knot, how to read a compass, a proper handshake. The first time I ever saw my grandfather in a military uniform was at his funeral. In a black and white photo that sat next to the casket, a picture of his boyish charm, and rare stoic smile. It was clear how he drove women mad, and my grandmother to fall in love with him. It was one of those perfect photographs, in a perfectly dressed military outfit taken the day he graduated basic training. I've never seen a photograph during or post his WWII experiences in relation to the war, and I can't recall ever seeing the smile Grandpa had on his face in that photo in any other photo. It was clear, war had changed him.

Likewise, when we buried my grandfather, we also buried the final memories of the other soldiers that died beside him. We no longer were able to benefit from the knowledge of a casual conversation. All that was left were the outcomes of his mistakes and successes and what he had chosen to tell us. What he wanted us to know. I'm grateful for his duty, and that he fought so we might live the lives we do. More importantly he taught us through his silence how large the price is that we pay for the freedoms we cherish.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Thank you vets. Thank you for your sacrifice. Thank you for your service. You and those before you provide and maintain the freedoms we hold dear. Freedoms that allow a site like this to exist, freedom to speak your mind, freedom to dislike the President, freedom to choose to have religion or no religion, free to be straight, gay, bi, tri, upside-down and sideways. Freedom to want more and a better life for all and be able to do soemthing about it.

The next time you think about how wrong things are, take a moment to remember how many things are right and who provided that to you.

Thank you veterans. Your service will NEVER be forgotten this day or any day.
Matt

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I stumbled upon this entry today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautifully written. Thanks for the random blog insight.

Hell... I think we're still trying to figure out where that is, in another thread.

Seriously... our men and women who fight, and have fought, have always been held high with the greatest respect. While I may not agree with wars, or the fights we fight... It takes great honor and bravery to take a job where you know the consequences of your decision may lead to death.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Your grandfather was/is an honorable man and is one of the many that needs to be thanked and remembered with highest dignity and respect.

RebelSnake wrote:I'm a veteran myself. US Navy, 1974-1978 out of Charleston SC, AE-28 USS Santa Barbara. What branch were you in?

Air Force.
Matt

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

wrrr wrote:I once told Southen Fried Infidel Its not to bad killing someone. Sorry i lied its more than bad. Maybe if i was in ww1 or 2 id be proud but im not iam full of shame.

Wow.. this is a blast from the past. How have you been? We need to all catch up sometime!
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby wrrr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I once told Southen Fried Infidel Its not to bad killing someone. Sorry i lied its more than bad. Maybe if i was in ww1 or 2 id be proud but im not iam full of shame.
wrrr

Postby wrrr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Im a veteran 1967-68 war sucks ..
wrrr

Postby A Person » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I never met either of my Grandfathers. When I was a kid there was a feeling that war would be a thing of the past and that Remembrance Day was not a celebration of heroism and militarism, but of remembering the futility and horror of war. "Never Again" not "Until Next Time"
A Person

For once... I completely agree with Matt. Indeed.... Hell has frozen over.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Liv wrote:I'm not really sure what it means to me. I'm grateful. I know that. Most of what I know of Veterans day is based of memories of my Grandfather. A former Navy man, who fought battles so horrific, so unthinkable, he rarely if at all ever spoke of them to us.

My Dad, who died last year at the age of 88, was a veteran of WW II, in Great Britain's Royal Navy. He could always find something new to tell me about his experiences from the War in the Atlantic. Apparently, if it hadn't been for the War, I would never have been born. His ship was bombed while at anchor in northern Africa, and totally disabled. It was towed to America for repairs, and Dad had several weeks of shore time, where he met and married Mom. Their marriage lasted 60 years, in spite of such a rough start.

He was never fond of the concept of war, but he was proud of the years of his life that he gave to help stop the Axis. My sister and I still have the medals that he won during those years. I surely miss him...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Figured this was worth a repost today.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby thesumofyourfears » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
military_salute.jpg

I want to take a minute to recognize all my friends and relatives (both living and gone) who have hung up their well-worn uniforms after their service to the country... have a good Veteran's Day everyone.

To everyone else who served, thank you for fulfilling your duty to the country and your fellow servicemen.

Coming from a Desert Shield/Storm veteran, a very big thank you to all very much for recognizing us.
thesumofyourfears
Freedom Lover

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I do indeed recognize and respect veterans for what they have done in efforts to protect their country. I still think it's a shame to all of humanity that we can't figure out a way, as a specie, to live without wars. :doh:

Just think -- in only 10 more years, we'll be celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Armistice that gave us this date to remember.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

If I remember wait, that happens after we develop "Warp" technology.... then something another, about no money, etc...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Liv wrote:If I remember wait, that happens after we develop "Warp" technology.... then something another, about no money, etc...

No, no, no! First Zefram Cochrane has to find a nuclear missile and meet the spacemen.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby DeannaB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Thank you to all our vets and members curently serving one day a year is not enough thanks for your service be it in peace or wartime
DeannaB

Return to Originals