Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Winter visit to Asheville

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:20 pm

My wife and I went up to Asheville yesterday (December 29) to have a look at the gingerbread houses. We try and go up there every year, because the Grove Park Inn is just lovely, and the houses are mind-boggling.

We left home at about 8:30 and got to the Inn at around 11:30... just in time to get a nice lunch in one of the resort's restaurants. We walked up and were seated immediately, at a table that looked out over the grounds and had the snow-covered mountains in the distance. The view was worth the extra cost of the meal, IMO. The food was terrific and the service was both enthusiastic and timely. When we walked out to view the gingerbread, the line for the restaurant was rather long, so that was pretty fortunate timing for us indeed.

The resort had 4 primary places to display the houses. One place for the teen winners (and top 10 entries), one for the adult winners and top ten, a third for the youth and child top tens and a separate area for the rest of the entries, all displayed on a long set of tables in a ballroom. Finally, the grand prize winner was displayed separately outside a store on the resort's promenade area.

What impressed us most about the trip, besides the houses, was the crowd. It was a Tuesday (one of the days that folks are allowed to just come up, park, and wander through the displays... you can't do this on the weekends), and the place was packed with people there to see the gingerbread. We guessed that an awful lot of people had taken off extra days between Christmas and New Year. But this also fits in with our general impression that over the last few years, the national competition has tended to attract a growing audience. As well it should. The artistry and ingenuity of these house makers continues to impress me. I just hope that they don't start charging admission to see these things.

When we had wrapped up seeing all the displays in the resort, we headed into town to see the overflow room of houses at the Grove Arcade. Here, we saw a couple dozen other entries... including one that appeared to be a complete representation of the main house at Biltmore Estate with a set of mountains rising behind it. Like I said... mind boggling. The arcade was an indoor shopping mall with several odd little shops in it. We visited a couple of them, including a consignment shop where several local craftspeople put their works on sale.

When we returned to our car, which we had parked in front of an electronic parking meter, we found a meter-reader had stopped in his zero-emission little traffic cart to give us a warning ticket. I gotta say... Asheville has a LOT of tree-huggers around the place. :lol:

Overall, Asheville has continued to be a top place in my list of terrific places to visit. This day only improved on that standing.
:clap:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Sounds like fun... did you snag a shingle for consumption?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Liv wrote:Sounds like fun... did you snag a shingle for consumption?

Well... some roofs were made of Neco candies. Bleah... One was paneled with Hershey's chocolate, and another was tiled with sticks of chewing gum. Weird. Nah -- it's like when you go to see flowers in the mountains... you take one for yourself, you ruin the experience for those who come behind you.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:43 pm

I have a bit of a weakness for gingerbread... would not be a good thing if I went to one of these.... It would be like 2012 to the gingerbread village: disaster by Liv.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby hugh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Spent Thurs-Mon. up there. The crowds and traffic were thick.

The gingerbread houses are always amazing.

Today's Asheville reminds me of what I've read of it's 1920's boom time.
hugh

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:47 pm

hugh wrote:Spent Thurs-Mon. up there. The crowds and traffic were thick.

The gingerbread houses are always amazing.

Today's Asheville reminds me of what I've read of it's 1920's boom time.

Could be. Just talking with a friend today about the area (he said he has never been to the city, but wondered if it might have anything interesting in it), I came up with a list of at least a half-dozen things you could go to visit there on a vacation, in addition to being right at the Blue Ridge Parkway. And all the little shops along the streets of downtown are well worth looking into while you're there. It's absolutely worth a long weekend visit at least.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to The South