Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

North Carolina to screw gay, common law and other couples

Postby A Person » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:05 pm

North Carolina is about to try to stick it to gay marriages - but in the process also strip recognition of common law and other relationships.

When North Carolina holds an election on May 8, voters won’t merely be deciding the fate of same-sex marriage in the state; they will be voting on an amendment with implications that could affect gay and straight couples alike.

If passed, Amendment One would establish marriage between a man and a woman as the only legally recognized union in the state — a sweeping distinction that would preclude legal recognition for all other domestic partnerships. The broad language of the amendment, which was passed by the Republican-controlled general assembly last fall, has opponents fearful that its passage could ultimately deny both benefits and domestic violence protections to thousands of unmarried North Carolina couples.

Although a significant proportion of people think gay married couples, and common law couples should have at least some legal recognition, many of them are poorly informed and will likely vote for eliminating all rights.

Polls have shown that plenty of North Carolina voters support the measure, although caveats abound. A survey by Public Policy Polling (D) last month showed that 58 percent of likely voters intend to vote for the amendment, but many are ill-informed of its actual consequences. For example, 51 percent said they support some legal recognition for gay or lesbian couples, be it marriage or a civil union — yet 34 percent of that same group still intend to vote for the amendment.

More ...

You don't have long to educate them ...
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 am

It's sort of funny, that while I'll be in Europe, North Carolina will be still screwing with my relationship.

Wonder if this is grounds for asylum? Probably not, need to wait till they pass a law to hang us.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 am

I mentioned this to a good friend in South Carolina (a Republican, BTW), and she said, "Well whaddya know? North Carolina is even MORE backward than WE are, for once!"

Still, the local LTE section has letters most every day mentioning this issue with the amendment, that it'll causae more harm than good and not change the status of gay couples one bit. One of the most ironic bits about this whole fiasco is that onw of its primary backers, Jim Forrester, died shortly after getting the measure placed on the ballot. Supposedly surrounded by his loving family...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 am

The Triangle is bloody screwed if this passes. There goes the technical center.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby royaldiadem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:41 pm

A Person wrote: gay or lesbian couples, be it marriage or a civil union

They can be recognized in marriage or a civil union. They just don't like to marry the opposite sex.

I'm voting FOR THE AMENDMENT and actively asking for others to do the same!
royaldiadem

Postby A Person » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Firstly that wasn't me saying that, that was a quote from the source article.

Secondly your quip that gays can marry someone of the opposite sex is juvenile, intolerant and plain stupid.

Lastly, no one is surprised that you support intrusive government, bigotry and predjudice and want your religious intolerance to have the force of law. You're a fundamentalist Christian. That's what you do.
A Person

Postby Liv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 pm

royaldiadem wrote:
I'm voting FOR THE AMENDMENT and actively asking for others to do the same!

Well for the record, I gave a presentation today in front of about 30 students, that showed exactly why this law is wrong. I felt it was well received and most people sub-1-generation under me, are horrified by such legislation.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby royaldiadem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:51 pm

A Person wrote:Firstly that wasn't me saying that, that was a quote from the source article.

acknowledged, any non-juvenile can follow the thread and see so...

A Person wrote:Secondly your quip that gays can marry someone of the opposite sex is juvenile, intolerant and plain stupid.

You intolerant and judgmental bigot! I'm 60 years old and I use Logic (grounded in the person of Jesus Christ) reason (ibid) and I have a deep voice, so,.. juvenile does not apply, your judgment is wrong.

A Person wrote:Lastly, no one is surprised that you support intrusive government, bigotry and predjudice and want your religious intolerance to have the force of law. You're a fundamentalist Christian. That's what you do.

I do not support intrusive government, the Bible says that the government is a servant of God. You are a bigot and prejudiced and a secular intolerant, and want to have the force of law because you will vote against the amendment. You're a fundamentalist atheist, thats what fundamentalist atheists do.

Repent! Put your faith in JESUS CHRIST! Recieve a new heart and eternal life. Acts 2 "what shall we do?” 38Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 3
royaldiadem

Postby royaldiadem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I mentioned this to a good friend in South Carolina (a Republican, BTW), and she said, "Well whaddya know? North Carolina is even MORE backward than WE are, for once!"

Genetic Fallacy
royaldiadem

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:18 pm

A Person wrote:Secondly your quip that gays can marry someone of the opposite sex is juvenile, intolerant and plain stupid.

This notion, which seems to have some level of popularity among the bigots, seems rater inane at the very least. I mean, how many people have not heard of how much family ruination is almost always triggered when one member of a "standard" marriage comes out as gay after however many years? To actually suggest that someone voluntarily enter such a marriage knowing that ruin and disaster is the most likely outcome is pretty heartless, in my opinion. But then, fundamentalist Christians have never really been known for having much in the way of "heart," have they?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby royaldiadem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
is pretty heartless, in my opinion.

Based on what objective standard?
royaldiadem

Postby Jamy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Maybe the polls say that this state supports this law, but I've seen one pro am 1 sign & more anti am 1 signs than I can count. The anti-am 1 people are being pretty vocal & it ins't just a small group either. {edited to add: I don't always trust what the polls have to say about public opinion because it's so easy to poll for the specific type of answer you're looking for to prove your point}

For those of you who feel strongly against this amendment & live in the area, a friend of mine is making an anti-am 1 video downtown at the Greenbean, next Tuesday.

http://www.facebook.com/events/179815802139396/
Jamy

Postby Liv » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Cool, I'll post that on Greensboring for some extra traction.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm

royaldiadem wrote:acknowledged, any non-juvenile can follow the thread and see so...
So... why not learn how to properly attribute quotes and take the minuscule effort to do so, instead of requiring your readers to.

royaldiadem wrote:You intolerant and judgmental bigot! I'm 60 years old and I use Logic (grounded in the person of Jesus Christ) reason (ibid) and I have a deep voice, so,.. juvenile does not apply, your judgment is wrong.

Your logic and reason are as contradictory as your scripture and as absent as your god. I was referring to your comments and not your corpus. That you have managed to stay alive for 60 years does not prevent you from making juvenile statements - like this "I know you are but what am I?"

royaldiadem wrote:You are a bigot and prejudiced and a secular intolerant, and want to have the force of law because you will vote against the amendment. You're a fundamentalist atheist, thats what fundamentalist atheists do.

Pee_Wee_Herman.jpg
Pee_Wee_Herman.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 3931 times

royaldiadem wrote:I do not support intrusive government, the Bible says that the government is a servant of God.

You are seeking to tell people who they may or may not marry. That's about as intrusive as it gets. Right up there with trans-vaginal probes and rectal cavity searches.

The Babble also says: "Romans 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation." You are seeking to change an ordinance i.e. resisting god's ordinance. Prepare for damnation.

Of course this is nonsense. And another example of Paul pontificating and getting it dead wrong. Jesus on the other hand understood that people have a right and a duty to resist bad ordinances just as they have a right to resist their slave masters. Governments are not divinely ordained, that was something the English worked out centuries ago - and Kings were dragged kicking and screaming (and sometimes headless) into accepting that they were not divinely ordained. Anyone who claims to be divinely ordained has just proven their unfitness to hold office (are you listening Santorum, Perry, Bachmann, Palin and of course Hitler)

Slavery, despite being condoned and regulated by your god, was resisted and repealed by people who used genuine logic and reason - not grounded in the long dead body of a mythical person, nor the writings of Bronze age nomadic shepherds - but grounded in humanity and compassion.
A Person

Postby Liv » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Let's also point out that this law is legalizing hate. Which even just the supporting of this law by Royal D should be punishable. Supporting discrimination towards a minority is hate speech, and we should not forget that.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Liv wrote:Which even just the supporting of this law by Royal D should be punishable.

No it shouldn't be.

The law is forcing consenting adults to abide by the whims of others. It is discriminatory and it should never be put up to a popular vote i.e. the 'tyranny of the majority'* any more than any other civil rights should be.

However bigots and racists should have the right to speak out for discrimination and identify themselves.

Inciting violence is something else.

John Adams wrote: *
If a majority are capable of preferring their own private interest, or that of their families, counties, and party, to that of the nation collectively, some provision must be made in the constitution, in favor of justice, to compel all to respect the common right, the public good, the universal law, in preference to all private and partial considerations... And that the desires of the majority of the people are often for injustice and inhumanity against the minority, is demonstrated by every page of history... To remedy the dangers attendant upon the arbitrary use of power, checks, however multiplied, will scarcely avail without an explicit admission some limitation of the right of the majority to excercise sovereign authority over the individual citizen... In popular governments [democracies], minorities [individuals] constantly run much greater risk of suffering from arbitrary power than in absolute monarchies...

John Adams certainly had Royal Diadem pegged
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:24 am

A Person wrote:
royaldiadem wrote:You are a bigot and prejudiced and a secular intolerant, and want to have the force of law because you will vote against the amendment. You're a fundamentalist atheist, thats what fundamentalist atheists do.

Pee_Wee_Herman.jpg

Seems to be a very popular stock in trade for religious hacks, the penchant for mirroring other people's statements in response to accusations, in an attempt to change the subject and derail conversations. My guess is that it's popular because it helps them avoid any sort of self-evaluation or examination of whether an opponent might in fact have some truth to their accusations.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:19 am

Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 am

One comment on that video: I used to enjoy chewing on aluminum foil when I was a child. Might explain a few things, I know......
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Tin foil cleans out the colon.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby BHL » Wed May 02, 2012 12:59 pm

The legalities of Amendment One. The myths coming from the liberal left.

http://greensboroguardian.com/2012/04/26/the-legalities-of-amendment-one/
BHL

Return to The South