Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Pastor finds horror movie solution to gays in NC

Postby shannon » Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Just when I thought NC couldn't be more proud of itself as a beacon of good "Christian" love, Pastor Worley has this to say. http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/vi ... y-rant.cnn

He's "agin" it! He wants to round up all the "lesbians, queers, and homosexuals" and put us behind a 50, or 100 mile electrified fence.
How is this hate inciting violent speech not breaking laws? Why are we repetitively allowed to be verbally assaulted with no consequence? Honestly I'm sick of being on this side of the fence stuck with morons like this leader of "morality". I could use a vacation corralled inside a fence with some sanity.

He thinks that because of the inability to reproduce that "our kind" will just die out. What I think would be totally hilarious is if while quarantined we evolved into a species like those frogs that can replicate themselves when there is a lack of a male.
shannon
Fire up the Quattro

Postby Liv » Tue May 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Wow, way to think outside of the box on that one Pastor. A fence? Really?

No cryogenic prison, DNA re-printing... just a fence, and round up the cattle?

Come on! If you're going to be a bigot, at least be a creative one.

For instance if I had a church, I'd preach we should sew all the pastors mouths to their own arses. (I swear there was a movie about that.)
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue May 22, 2012 4:08 pm

The consequences of thinking that morality is "objective." The parts of the Old Testament that set such strict punishments for sexual actions as homosexuality and even male onanism and marriages outside of the society were created for a reason -- back in Old Testament times. A major threat to the survival of ANY society was a low birth rate compared to infant mortality and death in childbirth. So anyone who posed a threat to the survival of the society was naturally seen as a dangerous, evil person.

Times change, and now, there is no reason AT ALL for any society to fear or harbor any ill will toward people who don't reproduce. It's not so "vital" to survival as it once was. But these people have no inclination to question their "unchanging" moral code (except of course, that it HAS changed) because "God said it, I believe it, period." Particularly when it allows them to hate people who do them no harm at all... for some reason, hating innocent people gives them a weird sort of boost.

Don't blame you at all for being sick and tired of this rubbish. I am as well. I do what I can when the opportunity arises, but it's sort of rare to find anyone who hates for no reason and is willing to re-think that hatred.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Tue May 22, 2012 4:44 pm

A fence isn't necessarily a bad idea. You could move it according to population, and remember a fence works both ways - eventually the fence would surround the American Taliban, who would keep busy regulating each other's sex lives.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue May 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Isn't that what the Native American reservations were for? To allow "savages" to live their lives as they saw fit while not bothering the "civilized" world?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Oh Gosh, this works into my box hypothesis well doesn't it?

Start building fences around people of difference, and eventually you put a fence around yourself...

Whoa... that was deep.

(writing that one down.)
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 pm

You'd think that all that hate would wear people out, but haters always seem full of energy, don't they?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 am

At least there are some religious leaders in the state that are taking up the cause to say they think Jesus would disapprove.

It'll devolve (if that's possible) into a cage match between all the different Jesuses. Jesi? Whatever.

Seriously, I hate none of these people, but I REALLY hate living among them. You can't talk with these people. I'd feel better just taking a good heavy mallet and bashing my head with it a few times.

Bloody preachers...

:angry-banghead:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Jamy » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am

Some friends of mine are thinking about picketing this church. I was on board with it until my sister suggested that media attention was exactly what this assnozzle wanted. She said that the congregation who heard this hate sermon was pretty small and we'd never change their mindset anyway, and that picketing would draw even more attention to him than he deserved. She suggested donating to BGLT support groups in the name of that pastor or the church instead.

I have to say, I kind of like that idea.

I think she's right though....maybe drawing more media attention to this guy isn't the way to go. We had a similar situation in Boone, when the KKK planned to march down King street. The Anthroplogy club I was in was all set to demonstrate by standing with our backs turned on the parade and some sort of slogan on our tee shirts. I said because it was the KKK, I didn't feel comfortable with A. turning our backs on them and B. possibly getting into some sort of a situation where it might turn violent (ie. bottle/rock throwing etc). In the end, we decided to encourage all the shops on King street to shut down that day and held a love festival on the other side of town. There was music and food and lots of fun and people flocked to it and very few people attended the KKK march. The news footage was hilarious....a bunch of racists marching down the streets of a ghost town.
Jamy

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 23, 2012 12:03 pm

If you were to get hold of tapes of ALL North Carolina fundamentalist sermons on any given Sunday, I expect you'd find enough material to justify picketing for the rest of your life. There's no point in it. People are just born with the instinct to fear the people their leaders tell them to fear, and you're not going to argue them out of that.

The only thing you can try and do is show these followers that the people they are led to fear pose no real danger to them or the society. Gays have been working on that for decades, and progress is being made. That's really the only way to make changes that are needed acceptable to most folks, I expect.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Jamy » Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 pm

I just made a donation to The Adam Foundation on behalf of Preacher Worley and his church of hate. It felt good. At least it will help someone. :D
Jamy

Postby Liv » Wed May 23, 2012 1:11 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:You'd think that all that hate would wear people out, but haters always seem full of energy, don't they?

Proof people have misappropriated their priorities in this country in a major way.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Wed May 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Pastor Worley wrote:

I’m God’s preacher. I just believe the book. Living in a day when, you know what, it saddens my heart to think that homosexuals can go around, bless God, and get the applause of a lot of people. Lesbians and all the rest of it? Bless God, forty years ago they’d have hung ‘em, bless God, from a white oak tree, wouldn’t they? Amen.

More ...

Audio

Yay, Bless God
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed May 23, 2012 7:26 pm

And people wonder why I don't go to church anymore.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 pm

"Yes, he said that. But ofcourse he would never want that to be done."

:roll:
A Person

Postby Liv » Fri May 25, 2012 4:59 pm

"Thinking outside the box", this is not what I meant people!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Lovely montage of interviewees from the "fence" church.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to The South