Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Oklahoma doesn't JUST ban Sharia

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 am

You know, I think it's rather interesting... in the run-up to this latest election, there were mentions in the national media of a few interesting ballot initiatives across the country. One that barely caught anyone's notice was this amendment being considered in Oklahoma to limit the courts' ability to decide cases based on laws currently in force. The only mentions I ever saw was to ban the use of Sharia, the religious laws of Islam. But this article I see today, about a Muslim who is suing in Federal court to overturn the passage of the measure, says that it also banned the use of international laws.

Now, I understand the notion of banning the courts from considering religious laws in deciding court cases. Myself, I have to wonder how big a problem this had become in Oklahoma courts, that someone thought they needed to amend their constitution to prevent it. But adding INTERNATIONAL laws into that mix sure speaks volumes about the state of political thought out there.

That's pretty far into the heart of Farright Town thinking, I expect. And it really ought to be tossed out without much of a fight at the federal level, I should think. After all, international laws consist of legally binding treaties that the United States has signed onto. I would expect that banning their consideration by a state in its courts should be deemed unconstitutional. Seems that the Oklahoma nutbars have pushed the envelope a bit farther than they really ought to have. They used people's fears of Islam to fool them into giving them something they've wanted forever.

Of course, considering it was Oklahoma, perhaps they weren't actually in fact "fooled." :roll:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 am

Wonder if that includes international treaties? Wow!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Liv wrote:Wonder if that includes international treaties? Wow!

My understanding was that treaties was the vast majority of what constitutes international law. I kinda doubt that the folks there were aware of the ramifications of voting to do away with that.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Wouldn't that technically mean they voted to secede from the union?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm

You the irony of all this... ever since 9/11, the more Americans attempt to fight Islam, the more they become just like them.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Liv wrote:You the irony of all this... ever since 9/11, the more Americans attempt to fight Islam, the more they become just like them.

I really think that history will show that the terrorists succeeded beyond their wildest dreams in hurting the American public.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
Liv wrote:You the irony of all this... ever since 9/11, the more Americans attempt to fight Islam, the more they become just like them.

I really think that history will show that the Terrorists succeeded beyond their wildest dreams in hurting the American public.

I've thought that for years. I also think that the Christian terrorists who want to bomb abortion clinics have suffered from terror envy all this time, and it will only be a matter of time until someone in that camp tries to outdo Bin Laden.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Liv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Sanjuro wrote:I really think that history will show that the Terrorists succeeded beyond their wildest dreams in hurting the American public.

Looking at the economy and jobs, I'd say I 100% agree. If we do see a collapse in any which way (economic, or governmental) then clearly it would (through a historian's eyes) be traced back to 9/11.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:40 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I've thought that for years. I also think that the Christian terrorists who want to bomb abortion clinics have suffered from terror envy all this time, and it will only be a matter of time until someone in that camp tries to outdo Bin Laden.

Isn't that the funny thing... Osama was intelligent, book and otherwise... most (extremist) Americans who adhere to Christian values lack even the (possible partial college) education Obama had.

Once the tea-party realizes you can download plans for pipe-bombs on this wacky moving picture machine thing called a computer... and can actually figure it out.... God forbid what happens....

Luckily, most of the people I know in my area... who adhere to such extreme beliefs have no computer at all, or are still in the mode of "FW: SEND THIS TO 5 FRIENDS" with the internet....

I cringe to think what someone with a university degree in chemistry could do if they adopted extremist American beliefs.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:32 pm

It's interesting that it doesn't mention Halacha - Rabbinic Courts

There are large numbers of Halacha coursts established in the US for many years - e.g Beth Din

It would have been rather nice if the 'banning' language included all of the Old Testament Laws (Ten Commandments anyone?) or indeed all religious law.

I doubt we'll see a similar approach against Beth Din, highlighting the hypocrisy of this.
A Person

Postby A Person » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:03 am

Oklahoma Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is challenging the constitutionality of the ban. By singling out one religion it violates the first.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:57 am

A Person wrote:Oklahoma Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is challenging the constitutionality of the ban. By singling out one religion it violates the first.

Perhaps so, but I would think that by banning international law, doesn't it also violate article 6 of the constitution, which says that all treaties made by the federal government are "the supreme law of the land"?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:25 am

Ban on Sharia and International Law may also ban the Ten Commandments

There has never been a previous case in the state in which Sharia law was applied, said Rick Tepker, the first member of the University of Oklahoma School of Law faculty to try a case before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Tepker called the passage of the measure "a mess" with implications unknown until a case that challenges it arises.

"Many of us who understand the law are scratching our heads this morning, laughing so we don't cry," he said. "I would like to see Oklahoma politicians explain if this means that the courts can no longer consider the Ten Commandments. Isn't that a precept of another culture and another nation? The result of this is that judges aren't going to know when and how they can look at sources of American law that were international law in origin."
A Person

Postby Liv » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:05 pm

laughing so we don't cry

That sums up the Democrats nationwide after this election.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?